PDA

View Full Version : Need help with workout plan

Shlade
05-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Hey guys ive hit that level where Id like to get back into shape and start working out again.

I was wondering what I could be doing at the gym other than the obvious common sense weight lifting haha.

I really like doing my cardio! Love going on the treadmill and bike just to sweat like a mother f***er!

But I wanna toss in weight lifting in there to get my fat down even more. I heard free weights is always the best, but never really understood what that exactly meant and what exercises it consisted of.

So if some beyond gymaholics could help me out thatd be great!
And also wondering if I should take any protein for muscle repair after workouts and which one would be best!

TIA!

colinxx235
05-19-2010, 10:52 AM
You should probably start off by stating your height/weight/age/condition, and then follow with your target weight/lifting goals

most people will state free weight are better as you work more muscles + stabilizers vs. a 1-D machine that isolates areas,

such exercises can include bench (flat/incline/decline), military press, skull crushes, tricep extensions, concentration curls, preacher curls, dead lifts, squatting, rotary cuff exercises, flat bench pec fly, etc etc etc

Shlade
05-19-2010, 11:00 AM
6'1, 235lbs, 19

Goal is 200

How can I achieve this? pop has been cut out and replaced strictly with only water, limited dairy and barley any salt

colinxx235
05-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Well good you are doing the diet thing, I am sort of on a similar plan starting the last week or so, I took a big big break from the gym after 5/6 solid years.

35 lbs is a pretty big cut, are you hoping to increase strength at the same time, or mostly using weights as a method to tone/cut weight?

And as well protein after workouts is pretty much standard in terms of helping muscle repair.

How many days a week do you plan on goign to the gym? Of those are you planning to cardio every day, or divide cardio/weight lifting?

Sorry to ask quite a few questions but it would help in narrowing down whether you want to focus more on high rep/low to medium weight lifting + concentration exercises and super setting vs trying to build lots of strength/muscle. And depending on the amount of days/week + hours/workout you would like to spend and how you would personally prefer to divide your time from cardio/lifting would help in setting up a plan.

Shlade
05-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Im wanting to do 1 hour to an hour an a half each day

Monday-friday

Saturday a little bit longer and sunday just rest day.

I wanna build strenght but at the same time i really want to cut down.. 200 is the absolute goal I want to reach! I did it a loong time ago within a month of intensive cardio everyday and im sure i can do it again if i put my head to it.

But Id like to build some muscle in the process also.

colinxx235
05-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Well I can suggest if you are going to do a 6 day/week workout possibly split into two 3-day cycles dependent upon your preference.

I personally like to split my days up as such:

1st day - Chest/Bi's
Consist of Flat bar bench (XX lbs x 10 reps x 3 sets)
Incline dumbbells (XX lbs x 10 reps x 3 sets)
supersetted with basic curls (xx lbs x 8 reps x 3 sets)
dungbell pec fly (xxlbs x 10 reps x 3 sets)
straight arms cable raises (lower pec) (xxlbs x 10 reps x 3 sets)
then you can rotate off between preacher curls/concentration curls (xx lbs x 10 reps x 3 sets)

2nd day - Back/Shoulder/Tri's
I begin with a triple set using a curl bar for my size i use 25-30 lbs a side
I go stand up curls 6 reps going slow to let weight down, then immediately go onto bench to do 10 skulls crushes, followed by tight grip press as close to my waist as possible, I aim for 8-10 reps to max out as usually tired after this point

after I do military press (xx lbs x 10 reps x 3 sets)
over head tricep extensions (xx lbs x 10 reps x 3 sets)
neutral pull ups (8-10 reps x 3 sets) if you cannot do this much
use the pull down machine and find appropriate weight to achieve 10 reps
shoulder raises (xx lbs x 10 reps x 3)
i usually finish off with 10 reps x 3 of rows
and then a full 3 sets of rotary cuff exercises

3rd day - legs/core/lower back
start off with bar squats or free weight depending on your preference (xx lbs x 8 reps x 3 sets)
lunges (xx lbs x 15 reps x 3 sets)
leg press (xxlbs x 10 reps x 3 sets)
deadlifts (xxlbs x 8 reps x 3 sets)

this day can be very versatile, mix it up with squats/arm raise on a bouyie ball (sp?)
or do such things as leg extension/scissors etc

then find a core/ab routine that works for you

-----
and of course each day add in the cardio you would like to do at the end and i'm sure with a regime as such you will notice substantial results quickly

Point4Dave
05-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
Im wanting to do 1 hour to an hour an a half each day

Monday-friday

Saturday a little bit longer and sunday just rest day.

I wanna build strenght but at the same time i really want to cut down.. 200 is the absolute goal I want to reach! I did it a loong time ago within a month of intensive cardio everyday and im sure i can do it again if i put my head to it.

But Id like to build some muscle in the process also.

What equipment do you have access easily ?

Shlade
05-19-2010, 12:04 PM
The entire ymca facility haha!

At home I've a treadmill, bench press and a few dumbells