PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 01 Audi 1.8T Quattro. Advice Needed!!!!

CT-C
05-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Hey Everyone,

I am about to purchase a 01 Audi 1.8T Quattro. However I am a tad bit hesitant.

I have heard from people a few things that scare me like the high maintenance fee's and potential breakdowns.

Can anyone help me out and maybe give me a realistic perspective on what I should expect, the pro's and the cons.

Thanks!

CT-C

Xtrema
05-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Get to know an Audi mechanic real well.

Save up a fund on repairs.

tom_9109
05-19-2010, 07:13 PM
I had the very same car. Make sure the Timing belt is done within the last 80,000km. They do the water pump at the same time so its good to go. Other than that, keep the turbo in mind as a new one is about 1300 from audi.

Everything else is a few bucks here and there and the same stuff other cars need, Brake pads, rotors, shocks ect.

I loved my Audi A4. Will be getting another Audi again based on how much I liked that car. I only don't have it anymore due to an accident and now having a company car.

GQBalla
05-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Watch out for electrical issues. Mine blinked the gauge panel sometimes. The airbag in the steering wheel can sometimes throw an airbag error.

Other than that. The maintenance is a little more but you got to pay to play. Like toms_9109 said just make sure the timing belt and water pump is done

bspot
05-20-2010, 12:10 AM
The recent coilpack recall takes away a lot of the issues you would have had with this car. The 1.8T is solid when the electronics are working :)

R-Audi
05-20-2010, 06:29 AM
The 1.8T's are pretty reliable... and parts are getting a lot cheaper. If you are even the slightest bit inclined to do any of your own maintenance, I'd recommend getting a VAG Com. You can get a cheap ebay cord, and then the shareware version to check any codes the engine throws as you. Then also check Quattroworld on deciphering each one!

Go For it! You'll fall in love all over again come winter.

sillysod
05-20-2010, 09:01 AM
1st thing you need to do is get it scanned before you buy it.

That will tell you a lot. I have VagCom so if you want to swing by McKenzie Towne on the weekend with it I can scan it for you.

Audizine forums is probably the best place to get information and cheap parts for that car. (ie turbo for $300.00)

tom-9019 is bang on with the timing belt but the coilpacks were way more of an issue on the B6's.

911fever
05-20-2010, 11:27 AM
coilpacks, electrical glitches, turbo failure (if bagged on and never maintained), AWD failure, airbag light/dash lit up like a Christmas tree, waterpump failure, etc are all some issues with this car. Pretty unreliable, the 2.8V6 is better. I'd personally make sure waterpump and timing belt were done and get it scanned before you buy.

R-Audi
05-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by 911fever
coilpacks, electrical glitches, turbo failure (if bagged on and never maintained), AWD failure, airbag light/dash lit up like a Christmas tree, waterpump failure, etc are all some issues with this car. Pretty unreliable, the 2.8V6 is better. I'd personally make sure waterpump and timing belt were done and get it scanned before you buy.

I've been driving B5 A4's and S4's for ~6 years now and frequent a few of the forums and havent heard much if anything about half the things you listed. (V6, Stage 3+ 1.8T, 2 Stage 3 S4's)

-Electrical=typically coil packs, although the LCD screen failure is common. Not a big deal, lines go dead on the screen.

-Turbo's: You are thinking 2.7T... 1.8T K03 is pretty reliable.. and cheap and easy to replace. (used at least)

-Waterpump and Timing belt.. caused problems when the change interval was set too high, so Audi lowered it. If you preform regular maintenance it should be a non issue.

-Airbag lights-I've had a few come on, usually a loose connection. push connections and reset light.. most dont come back.

-AWD failure? Not sure where this came from...

Like anything, get the car inspected, and make sure they have the service records....

Mitsu3000gt
05-20-2010, 01:39 PM

Most of what you mention would be a problem for any car that was poorly maintained. I've also never heard of a single AWD failure during my time on the Audi forums. LCD screens usually start to go on any 10 year old car.

Maintain the car properly, turbo time it, etc. and its no less reliable than the next car. You give the false impression that its an unreliable POS.

--------------------------------------------------------

I've got a VAG COM too, its a good tool to have.

The 1.8T is a great little car, very solid.

luxor
05-20-2010, 02:06 PM
The biggest lemon car that I've ever owned was a B5 A4 (1.8T). Never again will I even consider an Audi in the future. Not a used one at least. I had all the common problems people have already said. Thought it was just bad experiences and went ahead with the car, but it proved quickly that those common problems were not myths. Be prepared to dump lots of money maintaining it.

tom_9109
05-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by luxor
The biggest lemon car that I've ever owned was a B5 A4 (1.8T). Never again will I even consider an Audi in the future. Not a used one at least. I had all the common problems people have already said. Thought it was just bad experiences and went ahead with the car, but it proved quickly that those common problems were not myths. Be prepared to dump lots of money maintaining it.

Well what problems did you have? Mileage? was it a 96? or a 01?

CT-C
05-20-2010, 03:56 PM
What would be the cost of doing the timing belt and water pump in it?

sillysod
05-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Timing belt / pump around $1000.00.

Unless somebody completely abused the vehicle it is no different than anything else.

As for the V6, I've got one in the passat, and its a pretty decent motor, but every body ends up doing the big PCV system job on these things after about 150,000kms.

Something else nobody mentioned was control arms. You can expect to do them every 150,000kms or so too.

if you aren't affraid to get dirty these things are actually really simple to work on. Timing belt is a 4 - 6 hour job and if you aren't retarded -- it's pretty straight forward.

03ozwhip
05-20-2010, 04:35 PM
sorry to hijack but what about an 04 1.8t? same common issues?

Mitsu3000gt
05-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by CT-C
What would be the cost of doing the timing belt and water pump in it?

Full belt, water pump, pullies + labor service is about $1,300 at Tune Dub (which, by the way, is where you are going to want to take it if you ever need work done - best place in town. George did all the regular/ROUTINE maintenance on my B5 S4 and is highly recommended.

CT-C
05-20-2010, 05:23 PM
What about Steveo Auto Clinc? Are they reasonable in price? Do they offer good service?

CUG
05-20-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm looking at a 1998 1.8T Quattro... are those subject to different scrutiny than the one you guys are talking about???

AE92_TreunoSC
05-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by CUG
I'm looking at a 1998 1.8T Quattro... are those subject to different scrutiny than the one you guys are talking about???

Even moreso then then the newer ones. Be very wary when buying one, make sure its fully inspected, and that all the electrics work.

Also make sure the suspension is tight, they have many control arms that wear and can add up really quickly if one is worn and neglected.

03ozwhip
05-20-2010, 09:07 PM
i said:

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
sorry to hijack but what about an 04 1.8t? same common issues?

:confused:

CUG
05-21-2010, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC

Even moreso then then the newer ones. Be very wary when buying one, make sure its fully inspected, and that all the electrics work.

Also make sure the suspension is tight, they have many control arms that wear and can add up really quickly if one is worn and neglected. This post stopped me from buying it.

I'm not even remotely familiar with those cars. It was very clean and worked and everything, I just couldn't take a chance on a rebuild.

911fever
05-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by CUG
This post stopped me from buying it.

I'm not even remotely familiar with those cars. It was very clean and worked and everything, I just couldn't take a chance on a rebuild.

which was what i've been saying for a while now

R-Audi
05-21-2010, 08:08 AM
What everyone is failing to realize is that anytime you buy a used car you are exposing yourself to a potential problem.. best you can do is take it to a reputable shop, have the car inspected, and insist that any problems are fixed.

The chances that you have to 'rebuild' one of these engines is pretty rare.. think about how many cars have used them over the years throughout the Audi and VW lineup. I believe it was ~8 years!

Can the parts be a bit more if something breaks? Yeah sure, but this isnt a Honda/Nissan/whatever. Its a luxury German sedan.

sillysod
05-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
i said:

:confused:

My 04 A4 has 220,000kms on it now and it has been virtually problem free and I would drive it to Florida tomorrow with no hesitation.

- Coil pack problems were much more common on the B6 A4's, but they did a recall so it's now a non-issue.

- Control arms wear out around every 150,000km's and you are looking at about $500.00 for the kit and a saturday in the garage or probably $1000.00 from tune dub.

- Timing belt is every 100,000kms and for the 1.8T (not the S4 motor) it was right around $1,000.00 for the belt and pump from George at tune dub.

- The B6 has problem with the old style wiper arm seizing up, so eventually that will need to be changed, (if it isn't already done).

But that's pretty much it.

Turbo's, AWD problems etc is a bunch of B.S. Unless you are chipped and running 20 pounds of boost for an hour, then shutting your car off at traffic lights you won't wreck the turbo. The S4 twin turbo guys go through K03's, but that's because typically they are a little harder on their cars then the A4 guys.

Again #1 thing to do is get it scanned with VAGCOM, you will know the entire picture then. If it scans ok, go ahead you will be happy with it.

sillysod
05-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Also keep in mind that the 1.8T in those cars is the same motor in the Golf, Jetta, Passat (just mounted longitudinally).... they are everywhere and parts are cheap.

Mitsu3000gt
05-21-2010, 10:15 AM

Also make sure the suspension is tight, they have many control arms that wear and can add up really quickly if one is worn and neglected.

which was what i've been saying for a while now

What 12 year old used car wouldn't require a full inspection, including of the specific things you listed? Control arms are regular maintenance items on lots of cars, not just Audi's, and go 100,000+km before replacement.

Just about every single thing mentioned here is not Audi specific, especially if you're looking at 12 year old cars. What 12 year old car wouldn't you be weary about buying? The exact same precautions should be taken with any older used car you're looking at.

I'm not saying these things shouldn't be checked, but the way you're you guys talk about it suggests that you need to check them on an Audi, but not other cars.

I could beat the shit out of a brand new Honda Civic and it would be plagued with problems, but that doesn't make the Civic an unreliable car.

I don't know why its hard to understand that a properly maintained Audi is just as reliable as any other properly maintained car.

Like I was saying in another thread, I had a B5 S4 (perhaps the worst reputation of all Audi's) with zero problems outside regular maintenance the entire time I owned it. It was chipped as well, so the turbos were running at their maximum. Also there are guys on the Audi forums with 260,000+km on their B5 S4's with chipped turbos still going strong. I even remember reading about guys TRYING to wreck their turbos so they could have new ones just before their warranty expired, and they couldn't.

luxor
05-21-2010, 11:03 AM
There is also an oil sludge problem for the 1.8T that I forgot to mention. People claim it is due to a design flaw in the 1.8T engine, being the oil pan too small and not enough oil reserve for the turbo and engine, causing turbo failures as well. Then there's the other side (1.8T fanboys) that claims negligence from the owners of oil sludge engines. Google it and you will find tons of people having sludge problems and engines seizing. VW/Audi USA even extended their warranty to 8 years and unlimited miles for the sludge problem. Not sure about Canada though.

In my opinion, it's not owner negligence. My old A4 had a low oil pressure problem as well, and most likely due to sludge. I flushed it and the oil pressure was a bit better.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20040830/FREE/408300723

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/printthread.php?t=187167

I would recommend anyone to stay away from these cars. They make Fords look extremely reliable.

911fever
05-21-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't care what any of you say about reliability or anything from personal experiences, JD powers initial quality and long term reliability all say the same thing, they are unreliable and have poor dependability
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/audi/2001

As fortunate as you are Mitsu3000, their are much more reliable cars out there than a 10 year old used Audi that is prone to electrical and turbo issues. The new Audi's are better
http://www.leftlanenews.com/audi-most-improved-on-jd-power-and-associates-initial-quality-study.html

AE92_TreunoSC
05-21-2010, 06:28 PM
I work on everything from honda, toyota to bmw, mercedes and audi.

Audi's have the highest rate of electrical and suspension failure of all the similar weighted/powered sedans.

I've changed just about every part on the old gen A4's and A6's. They easily have the most failures per km of any non-sports car that I work on.

The 1.8T is an awful engine that even when maintained properly still has tons of blow by and many failures.

I'd sooner have an old C class or 3 series over any Audi. (shy of the new 2.0T generation, they are awesome)

FiveFreshFish
05-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Like I was saying in another thread, I had a B5 S4 (perhaps the worst reputation of all Audi's) with zero problems outside regular maintenance the entire time I owned it.

Ditto. Had my '01.5 S4 for almost two years when I bought it new and had only one minor problem discovered during delivery, which they fixed promptly.

911fever
05-21-2010, 11:15 PM
I work on everything from honda, toyota to bmw, mercedes and audi.

Audi's have the highest rate of electrical and suspension failure of all the similar weighted/powered sedans.

I've changed just about every part on the old gen A4's and A6's. They easily have the most failures per km of any non-sports car that I work on.

The 1.8T is an awful engine that even when maintained properly still has tons of blow by and many failures.

I'd sooner have an old C class or 3 series over any Audi. (shy of the new 2.0T generation, they are awesome)

again, what I've been saying all along