PDA

View Full Version : Independent Dental services without insurance

BigMass
05-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Any place in Calgary that caters to unemployed and uninsured? Competitive pricing, etc. Honestly my and my wife just need a cleaning and I see this service available in Toronto

http://www.independentdentalhygiene.com/specialoffers.php

Would be willing to pay around $100 for a cleaning.

max_boost
05-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Wow. $100/cleaning/1hour. Don't think that exists in Calgary.

I was going to suggest China, 1 hour of cleaning costs $80RMB which is $12.50CDN lol :D

BigMass
05-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

I was going to suggest China, 1 hour of cleaning costs $80RMB which is $12.50CDN lol :D

well it does exist i even linked it in my OP if you check the link. I actually found a similar place in Calgary that offers the same services. Going to call them up and make an appointment. One place even offers $75 for a customized cleaning. Save on crap like x-rays and $20 fluoride. Customize what services you want. I’ll let you know how it turns out

Tik-Tok
05-20-2010, 04:36 PM
My own dentist charges around $65/unit (1 unit being 15 minutes). Last time I went it had been about 3 years since I had them cleaned, and it took 4 units.

VWEvo
05-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

well it does exist i even linked it in my OP if you check the link. I actually found a similar place in Calgary that offers the same services. Going to call them up and make an appointment. One place even offers $75 for a customized cleaning. Save on crap like x-rays and $20 fluoride. Customize what services you want. I’ll let you know how it turns out

$75 :eek: :eek:

Dental Hygienists makes approx. $50-55/hr. Your telling me, that a dental clinic in the city of Calgary is going to do a full cleaning for $75???

Most clinics charge approx. $150-200 without any x-ray, polish or fluoride. I can almost assure you that for $75, you are not getting a very good cleaning. Good luck anyways.

max_boost
05-20-2010, 05:38 PM
^^

Didn't know Hygienist make $50+/hour! Wow! 8 hours a day? 5 days a week = $100k/year! :eek:

MintRacer
05-20-2010, 05:47 PM
I know a guy that does dental work in his basement, pm for more info

VWEvo
05-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by MintRacer
I know a guy that does dental work in his basement, pm for more info

Lol, I hope your kidding, :rofl:

I'm sure he has state of the art equipment

canadian.eh84
05-26-2010, 06:07 PM
hahaha
well im looking at a implant a tooth, estimate was around 4gs... man that shit hurts..

00redLUDE
05-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo

$75 :eek: :eek:

Dental Hygienists makes approx. $50-55/hr. Your telling me, that a dental clinic in the city of Calgary is going to do a full cleaning for $75???

Most clinics charge approx. $150-200 without any x-ray, polish or fluoride. I can almost assure you that for $75, you are not getting a very good cleaning. Good luck anyways.

What the OP is asking is if there are any clinics in the city that are just denal hygienists with no DDS on site. Without a DDS on site the cost of the cleaning would be less as there would be not an extra overhead ie. paying for the DDS on site.

OP there are clinics like this in Alberta as the rules have changed for dental hygienists and they do not need to work where there is a DDS on site. Here is such a clinic.

http://www.edgehygiene.com/

I do not know anything about this clinic other than there are no DDS on site just hygienists. The cost of cleaning would be less as
there is no denist that you would be paying for to be on site.

VWEvo as you are a dentist, I would have thought you would be aware of these new changes in regulation?!

I see a great deal more of these hygienists only clinic in the future.

HondaKid
05-27-2010, 05:53 PM
My dentist office charges $160, it breaks into units and this is a cleaning every six months so there is not that much work to be done.

Could try the dental school, does U of C have one? Also, look for the dental hygienist schools, they too need to have patients. All this is under the strict supervision by the best in their field, the instructors who would be certified and very experienced. I know a few who went this route in university, they seemed to think it was fine.

I went to a dental hygienist only shop in Victoria, no DDS on site. The price was reduced a little bit, not sure if it would be so in Calgary.

bignerd
05-31-2010, 01:15 PM
I thought SAIT sometimes does cleanings at a reduced price while they teach their hygenists? They are supervised.....

Found this on Saits website:
SAIT’s Dental Assisting students offer tooth polishing and fluoride application as well as x-rays to the public from January through April each year. Costs are $10.00 per person or $25.00 for a family of 3 or more. For more information, call the SAIT Dental Clinic at 403.284.8380.

Beginning June 2009, limited dental scaling will be provided for $20.00 per person.

*Patients may be pre-screened.

Phenix
05-31-2010, 01:38 PM
no hygenists at sait. only dental assistants.

at least the ones from sait are better than the ones that go to some other mickey mouse college.

Originally posted by bignerd
I thought SAIT sometimes does cleanings at a reduced price while they teach their hygenists? They are supervised.....

Found this on Saits website:
SAIT’s Dental Assisting students offer tooth polishing and fluoride application as well as x-rays to the public from January through April each year. Costs are $10.00 per person or $25.00 for a family of 3 or more. For more information, call the SAIT Dental Clinic at 403.284.8380.

Beginning June 2009, limited dental scaling will be provided for $20.00 per person.

*Patients may be pre-screened.

B18C
05-31-2010, 10:43 PM
The only dental hygiene clinic (no dentist) that I know of so far is The Edge hygiene clinic. Not sure of their prices but I can pretty much guarantee it's more than $100 for an hour for a cleaning.

SAIT trains dental assistants and not hygienists but like someone else said, they do offer services like polish and xrays and fluoride for cheap. They are also offering a scaling module for assistants so I suppose that $20 for a cleaning would be done by assistants doing that module. You would have to meet their strict criteria I'm assuming so no gum pockets of more than 4mm.

So if you have good oral health and want a cleaning cheap I think SAIT is the way to go. You also better have gobs or patience and time on your hands because if it's anything like getting work done at a dental school you will be there forever.

Now to the OP, good on you for looking for at least a cleaning being uninsured and unemployed. It tells me that you have some motivation for oral health.

I don't know what your situation is exactly but I would highly suggest that if you haven't seen a dentist in a while to go get a checkup. It's always better (and usually much cheaper) to catch things early then to let things go until something hurts.

If you let the dentist know your financial situation and what your expectations are we can usually find some middle ground that works.

Hope that helps

B18C
05-31-2010, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Is that why you haven't called my office yet? hahahaha

indiana
09-03-2010, 06:53 PM
there are now many hygiene clinics in Calgary without dentists. which makes sense. The dentists bills us and then needs to pay the hygienists..so crazy fees
but if the hygienist has their own clinic then you are cutting out the middleman
when i was looking for info I found tons of articles on the net that teach dentists how to make more money..many refer to the hygiene section as being the revenue generator

many hygiene clinics in Calgary, and very regulated in Alberta - so you aren't getting a hack job

just google dental hygienists...there are many and now some offer tooth whitening at cleanings for great fees, or even free with a cleaning..:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
09-03-2010, 07:40 PM
There is a low income service offered by the Calgary Health Region. Although their services are limited, they cost next to nothing and you get to see a real dentist.

http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/programs/dental/commclinics.html