PDA

View Full Version : University waitlist

403ep3
05-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Hey guys/gals, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with waitlists and how hard/easy it is to get into a program.

I am currently in the bachelor of applied business program at mru right now. I received an email from the university saying that this program was gonna fade out in the upcoming year. They gave two choices. One was to stay in the program and finish it off or transfer to the BBA program. I chose the second route and applied for the BBA well past the registration start date.
My marks were a bit lower in my first year but have increased dramatically since I actually started to care. I went from under 1ish back to about 2.60.
I received a letter saying I am on the waitlist but I am in position 91. What are the chances of 91 people not accpeting the invitation from mru and me getting into the program?

Anyone have any past experience or in my dilemma right now?

Coles:
In applied bachelor program
Wants to go to bba
Applied after the start date
On wait list number 91
What are my chances??

Thanks in advance

Stubby
05-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Do the math.

Find out how many people are in the BBA program already. and how big they are going to make it. If they are going to change that at all? Then come up with a rough estimate of how many people need to get in VS. how many spots are available.

I would say your chances are pretty low :dunno:

dandia89
05-19-2010, 09:26 PM
is it possible to do another year and try transferring into BBA next year? or even bring your gpa high and go into Haskayne at U of C

403ep3
05-19-2010, 10:47 PM
I have no clue how many people are in the program or how many they wanna have in it. Where would you get that information in the first place?

Yeah I might have to just try and get into the UC haskayne program. they check your last 10 half courses or full? And then you need a 3.5+ gpa? I have been averaging around there for the past couple semesters so I think I have a chance.

Anyone else had any experience?

helenk579
05-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
I have no clue how many people are in the program or how many they wanna have in it. Where would you get that information in the first place?

Yeah I might have to just try and get into the UC haskayne program. they check your last 10 half courses or full? And then you need a 3.5+ gpa? I have been averaging around there for the past couple semesters so I think I have a chance.

Anyone else had any experience?
I also think so.

93VR6
06-01-2010, 12:44 AM
Ya it's your last ten half courses but when transferring from mru you need a hell of a high gpa, 3.5 would be a minimum.

Ebon
06-01-2010, 05:03 PM
I thought it was the last 10 full courses. I could be wrong though, when transferred into Haskayne for 3rd year I didn't pay much attention to that.

I'm now transferring to another business school in Ontario and they used my last 10 full courses as well.

GME
06-01-2010, 08:24 PM
I was in a very similar boat and received an acceptance letter a few weeks ago. The main difference is that I maintained a higher gpa. Worst case scenario, you just re-apply in december and do your best to boost the gpa in the upcoming semesters.

dollarbillz
06-02-2010, 05:08 PM
I was on the Waitlist in May for My Degree program at MRU

Called May 31st she was like your #10 Im like out of how many she's like a HUGE NUMBER lots.

But she said it updates every month so i checked today and it said

Decision: Final Acceptance so i assume i got a letter on the way

Mind you my situation was way complicated because of the changes from College to University

But my GPA was higher than your from what i've been told after the huge battle is a GPA of 2.75 or lower might not get you in. It all has to do with your place on the waitlist though.

Also for the information on how many offers were sent and how many seats are taken already and how many pending seats left ask your program advisor or admissions.

So Say they are taking 200 students in business and sent out 200 offers 50 accepted 150 pending your #91 chances are you might still get in if the 150 say no but chances are slim 59 students have to say no for you to get in!

403ep3
06-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Well my decision is accepted but on the waitlist so my grades are definately high enough. My last 10 courses are well over 3.0 GPA.

I guess it's just the waiting game for me. You're number 10 so I guess 81 more and I am in! lol

dollarbillz
06-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Well my decision is accepted but on the waitlist so my grades are definately high enough. My last 10 courses are well over 3.0 GPA.

I guess it's just the waiting game for me. You're number 10 so I guess 81 more and I am in! lol

Im not applying for business... but I do know business has the most seats in it than any program there.

403ep3
06-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Application Status: Decision Made
Decision: Conditional Admission

Hmm conditional admission! I guess I have to call now and see what's going on with the conditions

dollarbillz
06-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Decision: Conditional Admission

Hmm conditional admission! I guess I have to call now and see what's going on with the conditions

I think its basically Conditions on your entry into it, maybe certain GPA, probation, or even just say yes to the acceptance letter mine was like this.

Admission Type: Post-Sec Admit (Assuming the used my MRU GPA)
Decision: Final Admission (Admission Into the Program)

So maybe yours will say that in a letter you will receive

403ep3
06-08-2010, 02:11 PM
So I got the letter yesterday and I'm in as long as I get over a 2.0 gpa in my spring courses. Done!

dollarbillz
06-09-2010, 12:01 AM
congratz now just make sure you do well in business and not get on probation