PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car

lokko
05-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Ok my goal is to buy a car during summer, but if i can buy it right now I am a student at a upgrading school just so you know, but as of now im not in school. So i'll be getting a full time job soon. I have $2000 saved up and I want to get a decent car. So budget around $10,000 oh and i live in Alberta Edmonton

My choices are
Audi a4 dunno which year but over 2004
Altima or Maxima
Acura TL
Mitsubishi lancer de or se
or Honda civic

I want something fuel efficient and runs good speed, with low maintenance cost.

Also im trying to buy it right now..but dunno if i should..cause im eager to buy one right now and pay monthly but there all high interest even the used ones..where should i buy from? a site that you guys can provide or good financing places?

:confused:

JordanAndrew
05-19-2010, 11:21 PM
The best route to go to is getting a line of credit from a bank as the rates for used cars are usually higher than bank rates.

Either that or just get a decent car that will get you from point a to b and save to upgrade your car later on.

tobypaddock
05-19-2010, 11:22 PM
if you want low maintenance costs stay away from the audi

lokko
05-19-2010, 11:30 PM
I dont think they would give me any kind of credit or extra funds..I could barely get a visa..oh and yeah i hear audi is expensive when it goes to the mechanic.

JordanAndrew
05-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by lokko
I dont think they would give me any kind of credit or extra funds..I could barely get a visa..oh and yeah i hear audi is expensive when it goes to the mechanic.

Given this scenario, your financing rate with any car would be retarded high. I suggest just getting a piece of shit car for now and save the rest to buy a better car later on. Unless you're willing to pay hundreds to thousands in interests. Don't forget your insurance as well, if you're a new driver it's usually high. That and factor in gas money, equals a pretty coin to someone who can't get any credit card.

lokko
05-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

Given this scenario, your financing rate with any car would be retarded high. I suggest just getting a piece of shit car for now and save the rest to buy a better car later on. Unless you're willing to pay hundreds to thousands in interests. Don't forget your insurance as well, if you're a new driver it's usually high. That and factor in gas money, equals a pretty coin to someone who can't get any credit card.

I probably can get a credit card now..with the $2000 saved but yeah Im thinking about all the expenses and it's crazy.
If u check mitsubishi's website they have a 0% rate and the mitsubishi lancer is around $16-19 grand..not bad if i can work and pay it off weekly or monthly..no?

Jetta-2.0
05-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by lokko

I probably can get a credit card now..with the $2000 saved but yeah Im thinking about all the expenses and it's crazy.
If u check mitsubishi's website they have a 0% rate and the mitsubishi lancer is around $16-19 grand..not bad if i can work and pay it off weekly or monthly..no?

a brand new car will run u high on insaurance

97luder
05-19-2010, 11:55 PM
yeah as soon as you lease/ finance i car from a dealer ship or used car place you HAVE to get full coverage on it .
now i might be wrong but sounds like your in the 18-24 year range so its not going to be cheap

do what jordan said , find a nice little civic thats maybe really good condition but high kms , save your money and do an engine swap. Then you can decide from there on how much you want to sink into it and what kind of power you want out of it

also i said a honda civic because there easy to work on, parts are not hard to find, and if you take care of it it will last you a long time

:thumbsup: enjoy your new ride when you gat it :thumbsup:

911fever
05-20-2010, 12:03 AM
just drive a beater until you graduate University. So not just upgrading school, University. It'll save you money and insurance in the long run. I wish I had done that.
Don't get sucked into a car payment or a high interest rate. Cars are depreciating assets, and a waste of money. Forget that, wait until you make money after post secondary is finished then pull the trigger on something much nicer and newer.

lokko
05-20-2010, 12:43 AM
Hmm than i think i should just wait till summer and see how much i will be able to save up and see where i go with that.

core_upt
05-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by 911fever
just drive a beater until you graduate University. So not just upgrading school, University. It'll save you money and insurance in the long run. I wish I had done that.
Don't get sucked into a car payment or a high interest rate. Cars are depreciating assets, and a waste of money. Forget that, wait until you make money after post secondary is finished then pull the trigger on something much nicer and newer.

This right here. You can get locked into paying for a car, then when you want to go back to school, you'll be trying to sell (along with everyone else who did the same thing). Even if you keep your car in school, it will be dinged up by retards who don't know how to park or open a door, and it will be broken into at some point to.