PDA

View Full Version : Clicking in a YJ when vehicle is in motion

LUDELVR
05-20-2010, 03:37 AM
Hey lads,

does anyone know why my Jeep is clicking when the vehicle is in motion. It is speed related and the faster it goes the more prominent the clicking is. It's almost as if something is hitting everytime the wheel makes a rotation.

In any case, someone suggested it may be the U joint, but I'm not too familiar with Jeeps.

Anyone here change one out or know what this problem may be?

Cheers.

darthVWader
05-20-2010, 05:57 AM
Did you try removing the Gretzky rookie card from the spokes?

AndyL
05-20-2010, 07:41 AM
Speed related clicking... You're not giving us much to go on here... Wanna at least narrow down an area it's likely coming from?

Check the driveshaft u-joints - front / rear for missing caps or play - have a good look at the ones in the front axle between the housing & knuckles... Could just be a rock in the lugs of your tire... Exhaust leak can sometime mimick that sound - and is fairly typical if you have the 4.0/4.2 I6...

LUDELVR
05-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by darthVWader
Did you try removing the Gretzky rookie card from the spokes?

Oddly enough, this is what it sounds like!! :rofl:

Originally posted by AndyL
Speed related clicking... You're not giving us much to go on here... Wanna at least narrow down an area it's likely coming from?

Check the driveshaft u-joints - front / rear for missing caps or play - have a good look at the ones in the front axle between the housing & knuckles... Could just be a rock in the lugs of your tire... Exhaust leak can sometime mimick that sound - and is fairly typical if you have the 4.0/4.2 I6...

It's coming from under the car, some place pretty close to the wheel assembly. To be honest, I've never worked on Jeeps before so I don't even know what the bloody U joint looks like...I'm assuming it looks like a joint... in te shape of a U! :rofl:

It's definitely something that when the wheel assembly rotates, it's hitting somethig else.

cocoabrova
05-20-2010, 09:04 AM
wheel bearing(s) and/or hub, or maybe its the driver:poosie:

BerserkerCatSplat
05-20-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm thinking front axle-shaft U-joint. Your axle shafts use the Dana-Spicer 5-260x U-joints.

U-joint shaft:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/CatSplat/Jeep/5f1a2ef8.jpg

How to replace the U-joint (the cross-shaped thing in the middle)
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ujoint1/u-joint-1.htm

Unknown303
05-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Once that nice clicking noise turns into a constant grinding noise it's time to get it replaced asap. Did that in my old Duramax and my god was it near a horrible failure.

LUDELVR
05-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
wheel bearing(s) and/or hub, or maybe its the driver:poosie:

I do like to hum a nice little tune while I drive but clicking...my hips do that from all the thrusting...when I'm practising my line dancing!! :poosie:

LUDELVR
05-20-2010, 01:00 PM
So what's the time it takes to do one of these? I'm wondering if I should just give it a miss. I'm constantly working on the S I can't be bothered doing the YJ too!

Are there any backyard mechanics that are up to the task and want to make a few bucks?:dunno: