PDA

View Full Version : I need purpose

wrcftw
05-20-2010, 11:51 AM
This is my cry for help.

Flat out, I am a terrible employee. I'm a total space-cadet, always day-dreaming and thinking about finding a job that I love. I'm in awe that some people can do 'regular' jobs and be happy with their lives...I would trade my left arm for that. I lack motivation and interest in nearly all fields that I have tried working in. I have a totally unjustified sense of entitlement and I know it.

My big genius plan when I was 18 was to get my BCom and become a Chartered Accountant...boy do I miss having that drive. I worked hard, landed a sick job at a Big Four firm and was well on my way to being exactly who I thought I wanted to be. Cue massive realization that I don't know who I am, or what I want out of life. Cue massive realization that I have 1 life to live and I'm 100% sure I'm wasting it as an accountant. Cue 3 months of diagnosed and over-medicated depression and anxiety.

Months later, got lucky and someone got me a really cushy office job paying $37.50/h. Entirely grateful, I started and continue working here while secretely planning my own escape.

I'm a self-admitted total pussy, lazy and undeserving. I only work hard when I'm motivated an interested. I consider myself fairly intelligent, well-read, musician, business graduate from UofA, drive a nice car...but functionally, I'm pretty much useless.

What are my interests? I'm really into science (carl sagan is a personal hero), cars (although I know nothing about them and don't really care, i appreciate the beauty and mechanics), art and design, and helping and making a difference in peoples lives.

I've thought about maybe being a teacher, but I'm filled with the delusion that I'd actually make a difference in the kids' lives...when in reality it seems like kids these days are alot different that I imagine.

I've thought maybe working for some sort of charitable organization, what better motivation that improving the livelyhood of the worlds' citizens? Could I deal with shitty pay and shut my sense of entitlement up for once? I don't know....

At this point, I'm considering spending my life-savings on lottery tickets and hoping for the best....

Give me direction oh wise internetz!!!!

:banghead:

spike98
05-20-2010, 12:02 PM
I am in the same boat. Except i worked even less to get the job i am at now. I was lucky. Very lucky!

I make just shy of $100k a year but every day i wake up and wonder why the fuck i do it all. I cant be bothered to wake up and do nothing all day.

My job can be exciting when things go wrong, but at a plant, they arent suppose too.

I seriously think i have surffed the entire internet and i am pretty sure that my eyes are getting worse from staring at a computer screen for so long.

I am not at as far as to be considered depressed but i do drink my face off on the weekend. To the point where its not just partying anymore.

After watching a cops marathon on tv last week i think i may become a cop. These guys love thier job. I figure there are so many douche cops out there that maybe i can be one that makes a difference. Save one life and i figure it would be worth it. It would also allow me to stay in shape and be active, which i love.

I say find something you like to do and build on in. Night classes, courses, whatever. Save some flow then take the plunge. If your depressed, its only up from here right! But shit wont change by itself, you have to take that leap.

2Valve0
05-20-2010, 12:10 PM
You just have to do what you love. If money is what you care about and don't want to move on, then money is your drive but if your willing to take a pay cut and more freedom, GTFO now. You can always be an accountant again, you have the degree and experience. Try being a teacher, don't be a prick and involve yourself with students, you can make a difference with an interest in someones life. Maybe take a years leave and travel with your savings, it will refresh your life. Don't go with a group, go by yourself or with a friend and you will experience so much you will have a different perspective on life. I'm not saying travel Canada, go the Asia, experience cultures and REAL TOWN PEOPLE, go to south america and do the same, see things in europe, lay on a beach for a week with no worries in your life, go to australia and see the country side. Go anywhere and I garuntee you, you will feel better when coming back. I'm in the same boat where I'm like WTF am I doing in life, and this seems to be where I'm going to find my answers.

Kennyredline
05-20-2010, 12:26 PM
I think you should become a hardcore Islamic; those guys seem to have all kinds of direction. :thumbsup:

Kloubek
05-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
I think you should become a hardcore Islamic; those guys seem to blow in all kinds of directions. :thumbsup:

Fixed. :thumbsup:

-relk-
05-20-2010, 12:33 PM
This doesn't really apply to what you said but its still a suggestion. Maybe when you get married (assuming you do) you can work part time and take care of your kids (if you have any). That way your still bringing home some money and you have the motivation from your kids. This is just a shot in the dark though. Hope it all goes well!

core_upt
05-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Welcome to the reality of life.... for a lot of people, work is going to suck, be thankful you have good pay and presumably good benefits. Tons of people have shit jobs with shit pay!

Life is all about what you do outside of work! I sit in my office chair and do literally NOTHING some days and I hate the company I work for. The people are cool, the office culture but my job offers 0 satisfaction. Monday to Friday, I rot.

Life outside of work is great though. i like working out (don't do it enough), I play golf (poorly), I ski (badly), I play in a band, I like being at home with my wife, cooking, working the yard, spending time with my family and friends, biking, bbqs, whatever it is that makes me not think about work.

I actually have another part time job too, working at a golf course. The job is really easy, I wouldn't say I need the money, but it helps, and it makes the other job a distant memory!

And yes, I am pussy about my other job too - I am typing this from my office now, while wearing shorts and a ratty tshirt. I have amazing benefits (they've paid for my gym membership, some drum stuff, a camera, along with chiro/massage/acc/eye glasses, etc), a fridge full of free food and a great location. But the work sucks.

All in all, no matter what you do for work, life is all about time on the outside! Why do you think people have pictures of themselves in their office of being OUTSIDE their office.... if work was so great my desk would have a picture of me at my desk on it.

Find your freedom outside of work, and spend your days in the office dreaming of it.

broken_legs
05-20-2010, 01:12 PM
I think you should go see a hypnotist and hope for the best.

http://tdistler.com/media/images/OfficeSpaceMotivation.jpg

Or maybe you need to find something at the office that gives you pleasure. Like a red stapler. Mmmmm K?

http://www.memecat.com/images/memes/office_space_recut_horror.jpg

Meback
05-20-2010, 01:50 PM
I would totally be comfortable with making the type of money you are. 37.50 while there are still people serving timmies for 12/hr and 50 y/o guys lifting boxes in some factory for 17/hr.

An average person is likely to spend most of their time at their place of work so I do understand how important it is too love being and wanting to be there.

On the other hand, I would be happy to go to work just for the money. Routine should be like this. Go to work, get paid, spend on home and nice things, save some money, enjoy the time you have outside of work, then repeat.

benyl
05-20-2010, 01:56 PM
I figured something out a little while ago.

I work to live and do not live to work.

Changes your attitude.

Work affords me the ability to do things I like. Sure, I have to put a lot of time into it, but I get money for it to do what I want.

dandia89
05-20-2010, 02:40 PM
I think you're on the right track. I think you need to do work which helps others. Most people who aren't motivated by money or status are usually not really out to help themselves, but to help another person out. Try it out, do more charities, try helping people more and hopefully you find something you enjoy

DJ_NAV
05-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Non profit organization would be the way to go.... you could do accounting/consulting work for them. The accounting aspect is really straight forward for NPOs but getting involved in projects and fundraising can be fulfilling. Not to mention the people are generally great.

Tomaz
05-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Really, i want your job right now. Is sounds like what I do, but double the pay!

Keep your head up and try new things. you will find you happy medium soon enough. :thumbsup:

Pahnda
05-20-2010, 03:10 PM
wrcftw is about to go Agent Smith on the world

brownchild
05-20-2010, 03:14 PM
you need to take a year off and go travel.

HondaKid
05-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Give the good stuff to family and friends, sell what you can, give away the rest. Keep nothing but personal items, photos, etc and all go into a storage broom closet at Public Storage.

Travel, take at least one year off, get a round the world ticket. See how others live, live like others live and return older and wiser.

Fit everything into a carry-on bag with wheels, every-fucking-thing. Patagonia makes great bags for this purpose.

Let things fall into place. They always do and so shall you.

I did it, thousands are doing it right now, nothing like some airport to make everything seem clearer and dearer in time.

Leave on Monday, not someday.

Hi-Psi
05-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Travel. That's the best advice anyone can give you.

Benny
05-20-2010, 03:47 PM
If you really don't like your job, make a big change. I was making PILES of money at my old job but I left there to make far less money doing something I love that is A. Challenging, and B. Rewarding. Honestly you don't even consider how much money you're making when you actually wanna go to work in the morning.

Tik-Tok
05-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Indoor, regular hours job, that pays almost 6 figures?

You guys are fucking whiners.

Work to live, don't live to work. Do your 8 hour a day duty, and have fun after hours. It doesn't need to be party-fun, you want to help fellow citizens OP? Volunteer somewhere. Anywhere. Why should you have a lesser standard of living, to help others, when you can do both?

max_boost
05-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Hi-Psi
Travel. That's the best advice anyone can give you.

That sums it up.

OP has a University degree, profession designation. Safe to say he can probably land where ever.

No amount of money can make you happy if you're not thinking straight.

wrcftw
05-20-2010, 04:23 PM
That is an idea I have thought of...thank you for your well wishes:thumbsup:

Originally posted by -relk-
This doesn't really apply to what you said but its still a suggestion. Maybe when you get married (assuming you do) you can work part time and take care of your kids (if you have any). That way your still bringing home some money and you have the motivation from your kids. This is just a shot in the dark though. Hope it all goes well! :thumbsup:

r0g3r
05-20-2010, 04:49 PM
^^what kind of job do you have? some people would kill to have it I guess grass is always greener on the other side (referring to post above)

Ajay
05-20-2010, 05:04 PM
I think the people that said to travel have the best idea.

You aren't going to figure out what you want out of life by rotting away in your cubicle/office for 40 hours a week. Eventually time will creep up and you won't have the chance to go see some things. If you don't have the responsibilities right now (wife or gf/kids/mortgage...etc) get out and see the world.

You said you want to make a difference in people's lives. Why not go down to Mexico or Africa and help build houses or schools. I know of someone that did this in Africa for a month and her outlook on a lot of things changed. Can't say it will take just a month but you never know. Some time away, even a short time, can do wonders for your psyche.

r0g3r
05-20-2010, 05:15 PM
^^ i was thinking of doing something along those lines, I have a friend from Ghana and we plan to go there after graduation and help out the communities.

FiveFreshFish
05-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Go teach English somewhere overseas.

Clever
05-20-2010, 09:21 PM
I agree with traveling, getting away will give you the chance to look at your life from a completely different perspective.

I can only wish for the kind of luck some of you speak of, I'm the complete opposite, I always put 100% in all the jobs I've had, got along with management or my staff, and clientele, I was really good at what I do/did. Only to end up pretty much where the OP is without the nice paying job, be grateful with what you have, you are very lucky.

kaput
05-20-2010, 10:21 PM

HeavyD111
05-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Yeah Im in the same boat, I finally left the government gas job I had because I absolutely HATED it. Maybe you are bored with Edmonton? Try working in the Caymans for a year or something. Worst that will happen is you will meet a pile of new interesting people that hang out at the beach after work.

DJ_NAV
05-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Let me know if you leave your job. I will definetly be interested in it. We have talked before in the CA thread.

wrcftw
05-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

^^ I have left my old job already, I'm not afraid of quitting things I feel I don't belong doing that's forsure.

I want to start off by saying that I am perfectly aware how ungrateful and bitchy I sound. I had a fantastic shot at a wonderful career at a huge firm that hundreds of new graduates would kill for. My experience at the firm was shocking though. At least half of the people I met were really unhappy with their jobs and lives and wished they did something else. Only a few managed to do something about it (me included, but I am still in the process).

The problem is I literally can't do a job that I become miserable at. My rationale for accounting was much the same as many have said here; I wont live for work, I'll work to live and enjoy my weekends and toys. The problem is that I don't care about my weekends or my toys, I want to do something I can be proud of and wake up feeling good about life Monday to Friday.

My family has a history of mental illness and it has stuck with me since I was a child. Which is fine, it gives me interesting perspective and allows me to focus on what is important to me. The problem is, after a while at a job that I'm not thrilled with, I start to shut down and go down that dark path again. I know there are lots of guys here who work hard labour jobs, make awesome money and can suck it up...I'm willing to admit I am definitely not one of those people, wish I was though...honestly.

Right now I work for one area of the government on contract basis. The pay is good and the hours are good but the work is boring.. I have a long term girlfriend that I live with, no mortgage, no car payments, no debt (thanks to mom and dad). Actually, now that I mentioned mom and dad I'd like to defer the blame from myself a little more haha..

My parents have alot of money, and I am the baby of the family. They coddled me way to much, bought me things, and left me with little responsibility. I love my parents a lot but (can't believe I'm saying this) I wish they would have been harder on me and not given in to the spoiled brat that was my childhood formative self.

I think working for a humanitarian organization would be great. I'm going to see this contact out with the gov't until its over next year and then go from there. I will have a nice bank of savings so travel may be in the cards. An eye opening trip to Africa to visit with people with real problems may do me some good.

:facepalm:

lint
05-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Sounds like you're fine with change so just keep trying new things. I thought I could work to live, but when you spend more than have your waking hours at a job that you hate, day after day it just grinds on you. But it doesn't have to be one or the other, find a happy medium. Jobs that you'll like and that will pay the bills are out there.

taemo
05-21-2010, 12:03 PM
agree 100% with what everyone is saying.. work to live, not live to work.

if you are not happy with what you are doing, look for a new profession, look at new hobbies to do, travel.. enjoy your life outside of work.
but if you want a meaningful job.. look at jobs where you can help others, provide service to others.
I've met people through travelling and business where they got tired of their previous jobs so they decided to quit and learn something else.. most choose a tradeskill/labour than office jobs.

if I were in your position, I would probably start my own business, open a store/restaurant.

I agree that sometimes having access to everything you need/want can be bad.. it takes off the purpose or goal of doing something.

wrcftw
05-21-2010, 12:07 PM
maybe, that's pretty a pretty risky venture for someone prone to bail out at first sign of trouble haha...

I should mention that I am 23 years old, and that the whole work to live thing doesn't work for me. I literally can't do it, and don't want to. Anyone who deals with clinical depression knows exactly what I'm talking about...it's not as easy as an attitude change or just sucking it up...you literally can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Before 3 years ago I could never imagine why anyone would ever taken their own life...I value life and existance so much. But when going through depression I could definitely see how someone could do it as terrible as that sounds. Without a good head on your shoulders and an adequate support system I can see how the world is a very dark place for someone suffering from mental illness.

maybe a career promoting mental health awareness is in the cards...

van
05-21-2010, 12:38 PM
People like you need to create their own start-up companies. Really research into what you love and are passionate about, once you've figured that out then you can figure out how to monetize it. I honestly know what you're going through as all my jobs I've sat there day dreaming about something better. There are people out there that will take the risk of being unstable to be happy and others who are perfectly happy being stable.

It really comes down to what kind of personality you are and what you are trying to get out of life. Who knows really? Maybe if you had a few things going you'd still make the kind of money you think you should be making but doing things that you enjoy and that give you the freedom and flexibility to do things you want to do.

I totally agree with the fact that you only live once and the world is a vast place and there are so many things to do/see. Like other people have mentioned it's why people take vacations just to ease the stresses of the work environment but again it doesn't work for everybody.

I went to a really great and inspiring event for entrepreneurs a month ago and it really changed my perspective on what you can achieve out of life without doing the same old 9-5 routine that most people will commit themselves to.

For example, Andrew Watt's wife (from Watts Mechanical) loves wine, that was her passion, she knew everything about wine basically a connoisseur of the like. Anyway, she wanted to make this her only source of income so she decided to host wine parties educating couples at her home on different kinds of wine. Next thing you know, word of mouth spreads like wildfire and from working 2 nights a month she is making 100K/year from doing something she loves.

Good luck!

yeahyeah
05-21-2010, 12:52 PM
23 years old and making almost 40 bones an hour? grow a pair and shut the fuck up OP.

edit - welcome to the real world :rofl:

Graham_A_M
05-21-2010, 01:18 PM
^ This.. and you need to travel, read: Africa, China or any other place where people work 5X harder then you for literally $2/hr or less.

That should give you some drive, perspective on life, and perhaps motivation to create something that is lacking in your life and the lives of others. as it sounds like you grew up in a de-sensitized suburban bubble, oblivious to everything of importance around you.

I think if you were to take a year off (since you're debt free) and go travel in Europe and everywhere else, that would really put you at ease with yourself, since you seem to be an embodiment of things you dont seem to understand about yourself at the moment.

BrknFngrs
05-21-2010, 01:41 PM
I work in basically the exact same job that the OP does and unless you've been in that environment, it's very difficult to understand why it can be so draining on a person.

Have you considered going back to school OP? Some of my good friends who have left the firm have done this and they are all loving their decision to do so.

wrcftw
05-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by yeahyeah
23 years old and making almost 40 bones an hour? grow a pair and shut the fuck up OP.

edit - welcome to the real world :rofl:

haha, yes I know...spoiled brat right? The only benefit of working for a pretigious company is that people try to snatch you up afterwards because they think you are smart....jokes on them!

The real world sucks, I reject it and substitute my own delusions of grandeur!

wrcftw
05-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
I work in basically the exact same job that the OP does and unless you've been in that environment, it's very difficult to understand why it can be so draining on a person.

Have you considered going back to school OP? Some of my good friends who have left the firm have done this and they are all loving their decision to do so.

I have, I thought about maybe going into HR and then doing the whoe CHRP designation. I fear I may end up in the same situation though as good HR jobs are tough to come by and you need to do some pretty boring stuff until you get to the strategizing part.

Also, like i mentioned before, I've thought about being a teacher. My common law spouse is a teacher at 23 and really loves her job (high school). I'm not sure that its for me though.

I've also thought about going back to school and becoming the history/philosophy major and post grad I used to want to be..but thats going to be another 5 or so years of school and that might just push me over the proverbial edge haha.

I'm confident that I'll find something I'm willing to work towards, hopefully sooner rather than later.

LollerBrader
05-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by wrcftw
This is my cry for help.
Give me direction oh wise internetz!!!!

:banghead:

Your problem, like that of most Canadians, is that you're spoiled and lazy, because you've had it too easy all of your life.

Go spend a year working in Africa, Central America, or Afghanistan, and you'll come back begging for a janitorial job and clean running water.

Disoblige
05-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ This.. and you need to travel, read: Africa, China or any other place where people work 5X harder then you for literally $2/hr or less.

So true. There is no work ethic here in Canada.. That's why things like production and whatnot can never compete with China, Africa, etc.

wrcftw
05-21-2010, 02:49 PM
lol, the goal was to help me out of depression....

Originally posted by LollerBrader

Go spend a year working in Africa, Central America, or Afghanistan, and you'll come back begging for a janitorial job and clean running water.

LollerBrader
05-21-2010, 03:12 PM
lol, the goal was to help me out of depression....

If you just want to cure your depression, up your medication.

It's that easy.

Your real problem, that you don't appreciate what you have, can only be cured by adversity.

lint
05-21-2010, 03:28 PM
^^ give it a rest. The guy is 23, thought he had his life and career planned out in front of him and woke up to realize that life isn't that simple. He's not asking for pity, he's admitted to not being the best employee and also to being spoiled, thinks he should be satisfied with what he has and where he's at, but he isn't. What more do you want from him? Not everyone wants to be a CA for fucks sake, not everyone has the same goals, career aspirations, wants to drive the same cars, watch the same movies, eat broccoli etc.

That's why he's asking the question and is looking for opinions to help him make a decision.

wrcftw
05-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by LollerBrader

If you just want to cure your depression, up your medication.

It's that easy.

Your real problem, that you don't appreciate what you have, can only be cured by adversity.

I definitely appreciate what I have, I spent 2 months in a room with severe anxiety and depression and very painful CPPS (stress related disorder that is little understood) last summer which finally led me to wake up and smell the coffee and realize what a miserable life I was getting myself into. I thank my lucky stars every night that I have a beautiful girl that stood by me and that thanks to the wonders of modern medicine my head can be screwed on straight.

I fully appreciate my situation and the situation of others around the world, hence the feeling of wanting to help others and do something meaningful rather than crunch bullshit numbers and make 100k a year.

r0g3r
05-21-2010, 05:45 PM
i think i might end up in a similar situation like yours, during my internship I was feeling the same things you were describing and I'm glad you made a thread about this. Granted I have not explored all the different job opportunities my profession offers but I have a feeling its going to be the same thing no matter where I go.

Seems like travelling is a top choice here and I have already set my eye on going to Africa after graduation and just help communities out by building houses/schools (where my education might come in handy), or maybe even teach english.

Integra10
05-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Reading your OP I could swear it was me writing it. Although I haven't read the other posts so I don't know if this has already been suggested this is what I'm going to do. I found a place to take your TESOL (teaching English.) And I am going to do as much as I can to spend the next few years abroad. I am thinking SE Asia but who knows. I plan to spend as much time at the beach and hanging out as possible. My only fear is that I'm too old to go start a new life.(22). Either way here I have no direction and can not really be bothered with anything in the form of employment.

rizfarmer
05-22-2010, 12:41 PM

I definitely appreciate what I have, I spent 2 months in a room with severe anxiety and depression and very painful CPPS (stress related disorder that is little understood) last summer which finally led me to wake up and smell the coffee and realize what a miserable life I was getting myself into. I thank my lucky stars every night that I have a beautiful girl that stood by me and that thanks to the wonders of modern medicine my head can be screwed on straight.

I fully appreciate my situation and the situation of others around the world, hence the feeling of wanting to help others and do something meaningful rather than crunch bullshit numbers and make 100k a year.

A lot of people are in your situation; just look at all of the responses to your thread. I won't give you and sympathy, and I'll even call you a pussy for getting to the point where you needed to get medicated, but I'll tell you a couple things; 1. A mentor makes all the difference in your life with respect to having direction in your professional life and how you want to model yourself as a man. You can have more than one, because the person you respect professionally may not live his life outside of work in a way that agrees with your values and vice versa.

2. Appreciate your girl; go buy her something for no reason and watch her light up when you surprise her. I mean something $1000+ nice. Sounds to me that if you are thanking your lucky stars for having your girl then you already have a reason to get out of bed in the morning. Think about her a lot harder, and what she means to you, and some of your [career/life] issues will go away.

Spoons
05-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Start your own TV show about your life. You sound exactly like George.

Graham_A_M
05-22-2010, 09:14 PM
http://www.wimp.com/surprisingmotivation/

^ I think this may help answer some questions you have....

very interesting video. :thumbsup:

wrcftw
05-25-2010, 09:28 AM
You're one of those bright lights that think depression is just someone being really sad and mopy aren't you?

Originally posted by rizfarmer

A lot of people are in your situation; just look at all of the responses to your thread. I won't give you and sympathy, and I'll even call you a pussy for getting to the point where you needed to get medicated, but I'll tell you a couple things; 1. A mentor makes all the difference in your life with respect to having direction in your professional life and how you want to model yourself as a man. You can have more than one, because the person you respect professionally may not live his life outside of work in a way that agrees with your values and vice versa.

2. Appreciate your girl; go buy her something for no reason and watch her light up when you surprise her. I mean something $1000+ nice. Sounds to me that if you are thanking your lucky stars for having your girl then you already have a reason to get out of bed in the morning. Think about her a lot harder, and what she means to you, and some of your [career/life] issues will go away.

almerick
05-25-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm glad you created this thread OP. Like many others who are reading this thread are probably in the same boat as you. I am currently only 20 years old and thought that I would have an awesome career of being a CA (lol) just like my dad and making lots. Had my future planned perfectly but then waking up one morning realizing that it wasn't going to work out. I was fortunate enough to help out my dad at his private firm with accounting work but it turns out accounting wasn't for me.

Now what do I do? I'm still a drone going to university and wasting my time trying to earn a near pointless degree for something I don't enjoy. I keep thinking in my head that I should be a CA, no wait, maybe an engineer with an MBA, what if being a lawyer seems fun? I told my dad that I shouldn't be working for the money, but instead I should be doing something I enjoy and the money will follow. It's easier said than done as society we see it is all about having the latest and greatest, the shiniest and fastest etc.

Race may be a playing card in this game as well. I am Chinese and since a child I am sure many of you has been molded the way your parents wanted you to be. Most of us have the mentality that we work to sustain our future. Work so your parents can relax, work so your family will live a good life, work for everyone but yourself. It's a terrible way to think but we should try and stop to smell the flowers. I try spoil myself here and there with misc purchases and what not. People tend to tell me that I am wasting my money but I find that they are foolish for thinking so.

I am the kind of person that gets bored very easily, always easily distracted, lazy and gets tired all the time. Maybe once every month I wake up depressed about my life knowing it's getting nowhere. Try to find something you love such as for me, a qwerky hobby I have is that I really love architecture, I can't draw if my life depended on it but I love buildings. I drive around Calgary to try and find awesome looking houses and buildings and hope to travel overseas to Europe to see all their structures. I didn't really think about this hobby until I spoke with an ex-coworker last night. It's the small things that everyone overlooks.

What is my purpose? I am hoping to get a business started and trying my hand in the entrepreneurship business to start up a company that I would enjoy. Problem with this is you need capital, so I guess I'll have to stick to being a drone and making some money before I can decide what's next.

Hopefully OP can find a purpose as well. As many said, go traveling, spoil yourself sometimes, spoil your girl, give money when you don't need it, lend some of your spare time to others etc.

Wow usually writing is very difficult for me but I guess if something affects you, usually you can write about it easily. Hopefully the rant I just wrote even relates to the topic :nut:

wrcftw
05-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Integra10
Reading your OP I could swear it was me writing it. Although I haven't read the other posts so I don't know if this has already been suggested this is what I'm going to do. I found a place to take your TESOL (teaching English.) And I am going to do as much as I can to spend the next few years abroad. I am thinking SE Asia but who knows. I plan to spend as much time at the beach and hanging out as possible. My only fear is that I'm too old to go start a new life.(22). Either way here I have no direction and can not really be bothered with anything in the form of employment.

Hey buddy,

You are never too old to start a new life. You only have one life to live, and if you feel unhappy with it you owe it to yourself to seek out something better. Don't waste a second being miserable, nothing is worth that. If you feel teaching English overseas will make you happy, go for it! I know a girl that has been doing that all over the world for the last 10 years, met her husband and lives in Oman now teaching english at a university. You never know what you'll get back when you throw yourself out there.

Kevin

wrcftw
07-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Update: Still working at boring as fuck job. sigh, :dunno:

JfuckinC
07-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Man i know how you feel, all i know is partying and wasting money doesn't help. :thumbsdow

But i still do it way too much haha... fml.

Lex350
07-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by van
People like you need to create their own start-up companies. Really research into what you love and are passionate about, once you've figured that out then you can figure out how to monetize it. Good luck!

I would be careful about this. It can backfire. One of the reasons why I didn't go into music after high school was that I saw people that did that and for most of them making it their job killed the passion.

I'm in the same boat again in that I like design (interior, industrial) so I started my own business. I like the pure work when I get to do that but the rest of the shit around it is taking its toll to the point that I don't like what I am doing anymore. I might go back to resurecting my rendering / marketing company. I had more fun at that even though I make more money now.

In any case to the OP,just go out and try different things. It is amazing how a random experience can turn you in a completely different direction.

freshprince1
07-09-2010, 03:32 PM
I hear yah. My dream job would be in Extreme Sports or something along that line. I've realized I won't really get there and do the best i can with what I have. I'm at a great spot in my career and can only progress, and I earn decent money as is.

The ting that balences out life for me is my family. A long boring day goes by easier when I realize that by me sacrificing my life to pay the bills, I am allowing my family to thrive. Coming home to my wife and kids makes everything worthwhile.

Good luck. For me, the purpose is family.

Bizzareo
07-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Travel...

Seriously, just ditch your current life for a couple years and go every were you can. I highly recommend leaving north America for this as well...

Travel is good for the soul and mind...

civicHB
07-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Read the bible and get religious, that may help you realize what life is about.

brownchild
07-11-2010, 10:57 AM
I've been partying, travelling, and blowing money for the last 5 years, im 23 now, and going back to school in September to get into a "pointless career". I honeslty think you should quit, go somewhere in SE asia for a couple months, come back, and just party, and then just maybe you'll realize that your education and "boring" job might have not been so bad. I personally believe stability and routine in your life are very important things for your mental health. I would know because thats something I have not had since high school, and thats what im working towards now. Lately everyday I wake up I wish i would have completed post secondary earlier, so I could have a solid career. But I also know I can't dwell on the past and just look towards the future, the mistakes I made only made me realize what or where I dont want to be in the future.

davidI
07-11-2010, 09:30 PM
As others have said, travel or look for a job internationally. Even if you put in another few years at the big firm to get the experience to make the leap overseas, that's a plan and something to work towards.

I hate getting up for work too, but have lots of personal projects that I work on in my idle time to pass the time. Hopefully one of those projects will take off and become a full-time career at some point, but who knows.

The grass isn't always greener once you make the leap, but at least you'll gain new experience and perspective!

nonlinear
07-11-2010, 10:11 PM
wow, reading this thread makes me want to hang myself.

davidI
07-11-2010, 10:44 PM
The amazing thing to me is that when I travel to 3rd world countries, people don't have much of anything materially but are some of the happiest, most friendly people ever.

I'm not sure how North Americans and Brits became such a depressed bunch, but we really are!

revelations
07-11-2010, 10:48 PM
OP at age 32 I've experienced three careers (aircraft technician, RCMP member, aerial surveyor/technician)

Like many have said, variety is really the spice of life and each has added to my becoming more "well rounded" as an employee.

You know you're missing something but you dont know what until you stumble across it like so many people in life - usually by accident.

I went through this too and it took me about 10 years before I found a career/job that I WANT to wake up to every day - which I am in now.

One other thing, try volunteering at the local shelter and get to really know some street people. Many have good hearts (just minds corrupted by substance abuse).

But if you want to define purpose and careers - this 10min video is a GOOD watch.

u6XAPnuFjJc

Cos
07-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by revelations

u6XAPnuFjJc

AMAZING VIDEO :thumbsup:

Any more on that? or books to read more on this? Pretty cool. Better yet? Any places I can go and work at?

mazdavirgin
07-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Cos

AMAZING VIDEO :thumbsup:

Any more on that? or books to read more on this? Pretty cool. Better yet? Any places I can go and work at?

:facepalm: Don't worry most companies/management drones who will watch this video will just be like Ah we don't need to give people raises anymore!

revelations
07-11-2010, 11:39 PM
More videos...

http://comment.rsablogs.org.uk/videos/

I havent watched any of the others yet.

dingmah
07-12-2010, 12:39 AM
To OP, watch any episode from Departures. The 2 guys are like you, minus the depression.

http://video.citytv.com/video/show/departures/Season1/episodes/4294966445+4294966693/19/

Cos
07-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

:facepalm: Don't worry most companies/management drones who will watch this video will just be like Ah we don't need to give people raises anymore!

Actually that isnt what it says at all. It says you need to pay people sufficiently so that money isnt a factor and then engage them differently.

Google, Apple, etc.

wrcftw
07-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by dingmah
To OP, watch any episode from Departures. The 2 guys are like you, minus the depression.

http://video.citytv.com/video/show/departures/Season1/episodes/4294966445+4294966693/19/
awesome, thanks!

911fever
07-14-2010, 07:18 AM
ahhh I feel you. Go work with poor people in Ecuador or South America. It will give you an appreciation for the North American lifestyle. Then go back to school and figure out what you really want to do with your life.

wrcftw
07-14-2010, 03:28 PM
I wonder if travelling to poorer countries/volunteering and helping out people who are less fortunate than me would just make me more depressed. The goal there seems to be "hey, you think your life is shitty, check out this guys life...so, yeah...shut up!". Which is totally valid, though I don't think it will help.

I just wish there was something that really catches my eye and brings out a sense of motivation within me. The weird part about clinical depression is that you lose motivation and interest in things that really motivate and interest you.....:thumbsdow

I've been racking my brain for weeks now but remain confident that I'll discover what I'm looking for eventually. Until then :whocares:

Critical
07-14-2010, 03:55 PM
What do you do when you're not at work?

max_boost
07-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
Man i know how you feel, all i know is partying and wasting money doesn't help. :thumbsdow

But i still do it way too much haha... fml.

I'm part of that camp right now. Dunno WTF to do with my life. :rofl: And I'm approaching 30....FML lol

civic_ek4
07-14-2010, 08:16 PM
I think we all have that feeling.

I am working overseas but my job is boring 2/3 of the time and stressful 1/3 of the time. The pay is alright and the holidays are great.

I will be turing 30 in 3 yrs.

The way I look at it is that I take time off to treat myself to a nice vacation and say this is why.

revelations
07-14-2010, 09:11 PM
I dont think the OP needs to see how bad other peoples shit is, but rather... he needs PURPOSE.

Maybe a career counsellor is in order :dunno:

revelations
07-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Critical

rather... "what is something you wouldnt mind learning about all the time?"

wrcftw
07-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Critical

I play the drums (www.myspace.com/versusnight), hang out with my gf, hang out with friends etc etc

The non-work side of my life is sweet. I have a really solid group of friends that i've known since high school, great parents and a really great relationship with a stellar girl for the last 3 years.

I'm interested in astronomy, science, philosophy etc etc but not enough that I would want to pursue a career in academia.

lint
07-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Just try out different things. The grass might not be greener on the otherside, but you never know unless you take a peek. I'm probably on career #5 by this point and a couple of times I've had 4 different employers in a given year.

revelations
07-15-2010, 11:29 AM
^ ya most usually dont hit a "home run" with their first career choice.

Over time you may find a position that fits 75% maybe...enough that you can find satisfaction with.