PDA

View Full Version : Transmission slipping in Drive while stopped!

Spruce View
12-11-2003, 09:14 PM
My transmission completely slips when I am stopped. I have to drop it into second to get it to catch. Once I get going I can put it into drive. Does it need a whole new tranny?

hjr
12-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Standard right? It sounds clutch-ish too me, but i have been completely un-ignorized once tonight, so ill leave this to another member.

EstoMax
12-11-2003, 09:50 PM
automatic.. since his talking about putting it into drive
and i have no clue. sry

max:confused:

hjr
12-11-2003, 10:08 PM
if its auto, the shifter may be worn out and your just not giving the tranny the signal to go into drive.

ryder_23
12-11-2003, 10:19 PM
What kind of car is this?

Do you do alot of neutral drops?? cause if you do, maybe you butchd your first gear or something :dunno:

german
12-12-2003, 12:47 AM
it can still be the clutch if its auto, if you have been revving in nuetral then shifting into gear, (the autos lag wouldn't help either in this situation) that would do it...

but other than that i couldn't say

1badPT
12-12-2003, 01:00 AM
yeah could be torque converter

or the your tranny could be stripped

both are more likely problems if you are doing neutral->drive drops

rage2
12-12-2003, 01:14 AM
hehe I had that on my Integra. Lost 1st gear completely due to neutral drops. It needs a new tranny :).

When u are in D, it's in 1st, so nothing. When u shift into 2, it forces 2nd gear which still exists, so it gets going. Then when u put it back into D, it works because it's choosing between 2,3 and 4... until u stop, or go slow and floor it which selects 1st, and it screws up again :).

Redlyne_mr2
12-12-2003, 01:30 AM
Slipping tranny sucks. I used to always drive an 85 toyota oriental news van around town. It was great used it to pick up parts, it was comfortable to drive until the tranny started to slip. the last time I drove it I had to take a run at the long hill going up center street from china town. I entered the first part of the hill doing about 75...had to time the 2 stoplights prior to that hill perfectly, by the time I was half up the hill I had slowed down to 30 and it was floored. I slowly passed a guy on a bicycle he looked over at me because the van was so slow yet so loud from the high rpms and hole in the muffler. By the time I reached 3/4 up the hill i was doing a steady 5km/hr as the guy on the bike passed me while pointing and laughing. Hopefully by spring Ill have another tranny for it. Im not hardcore enough to go to PYP to pull one in this weather

bol
12-12-2003, 11:25 AM
Check the transmission fluid level. If it is really low it can cause this sort of problem. On an autoslushbox the transmission fluid level REALLY changes the way the tranny behaves and feels.

GTS Jeff
12-12-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by german
it can still be the clutch if its auto, if you have been revving in nuetral then shifting into gear, (the autos lag wouldn't help either in this situation) that would do it...

but other than that i couldn't say an auto tranny does have a series of clutches, basically one for every gear. the first gear clutch, or the seal for it, may be worn out from a ton of neutral drops. time for a new tranny or a rebuild.

trdjce10
12-13-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
an auto tranny does have a series of clutches, basically one for every gear. the first gear clutch, or the seal for it, may be worn out from a ton of neutral drops. time for a new tranny or a rebuild.

Usually an auto tranny shares the multiple clutch packs for every gear. For example, a typical GM can have one multiple clutch pack apply in all foward gears except reverse. The one type of auto tranny that I could think of where it uses one multiple clutch pack for every gear is from BMW. Some auto tranny uses bands and one-way clutch instead of multiple clutch packs.

I would suggest taking it a specialize auto tranny shop.

Good luck! :thumbsup: