PDA

View Full Version : Weird Problem

wrcftw
05-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Question for the fitness-inclined,

I'm pretty out of shape...not grossly out of shape (6"1 ~190 pounds), I used to be in pretty good shape but anyways....here's my question.

When I lift weights or do stairs, basically anything other than jogging, I start to feel like I'm going to pass out/throw up after about 20 minutes. I've tried eating well before working out, staying hydrated properly, drinking a sports drink while working out...nothing seems to work. I do have a history of panic attacks and it sort of feels like that however other than working out I don't get them anymore (on meds) and this was never a trigger for me.

The weird thing is, is that I'm not even pushing that hard, I don't lift heavy weights and I use proper technique as I am accompanied by someone who actually knows what they are doing.

It's really frustrating and has caused me to not really want to work out anymore... I don't feel physically exhausted and then all of sudden I get hit by a wave of nausea and light-headedness.

Any ideas? It sounds like my blood sugar is low or something but my doctor assures me there is nothing wrong.

There is always the possibility that I am slowly going crazy....:dunno:

Afrodeziak
05-21-2010, 11:44 AM
maybe it's all the chicks in tight yoga gear that are around you while doing these activities. They've been known to send out smoke signals that can affect the brain.

How is your diet.. do you take supplements/vitamins? both can affect how you feel during exertion of the body.

Some vitamins can make you feel pukey. I only feel like shit, light headed, etc if I don't eat well.

GQBalla
05-21-2010, 11:44 AM
are you breathing during your work outs?

the only time i feel like that is when im lifting really hard and not breathing

*note*
im not a doctor of any kind, lol

wintonyk
05-21-2010, 11:52 AM
befriend a diabetic and test your sugar mid workout. Odds are though that like your doc says not the case.

Maybe you are like this guy, as GQ mentioned no breathing.

r-WahP-O5_c

Or as afro said, the hot chicks in yoga. Hard on= blood in penis. So maybe your body just pulls it from your head.

I would try mixing some celtic sea salt in your water during your exercise. Light headed is usually low blood pressure temporarily.

Also not a doctor

bspot
05-21-2010, 12:04 PM
I had some bad heart arrhythmia for a while and was pretty paranoid about it for a while and would experience the same kind of thing (minus the nausea).

I upped the salt in my diet (lots of olives and that kind of thing) and it helps keep your blood pressure up.

I started to feel a bit better and worry about it less, and that was the biggest thing. Once I went a while and had faith my heart wasn't going to freak out I was fine, and now it never happens at all. Just learn to keep yourself calm and not worry about it and you'll be good.

If you're confident that the doc checked you out well and everythings working, just keep plugging away at it and take a rest when you feel funny. The more times you don't die after a workout, the more relaxed you'll be and hopefully it will go away.

Kennyredline
05-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Have you tried working out for 15 minutes instead?

wrcftw
05-21-2010, 01:59 PM
nice :rofl: I love the internet folk

Originally posted by Kennyredline
Have you tried working out for 15 minutes instead?

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
05-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Used to get this too, I have thrown up a few times during intense leg workouts.
I blamed it on the shitty water at the WHC, I presumed there was rust or something gross in the water lines for the fountain.
They switched fountains while I was recovering from a sports injury and BAM!
No more problem.

Clearly not going to solve your issue, but all I can say is work through it... it'll go away.

lint
05-21-2010, 03:38 PM
maybe check with the doctor who prescribed the meds? Panic attacks = anxiety? Here's some side effects of anti-anxiety meds:

http://helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_medication_drugs_treatment.htm

Common side-effects of benzodiazepines or tranquilizers
Drowsiness, lack of energy
Clumsiness, slow reflexes
Slurred speech
Confusion and disorientation
Depression
Dizziness, lightheadedness
Impaired thinking and judgement
Memory loss, forgetfulness
Nausea, stomach upset
Blurred or double vision

r0g3r
05-21-2010, 05:55 PM
I have a similar problem with this, I use to be pretty active playing soccer,badminton and just going for jogs in the evening, but now I cannot even do those things for more than 15min and I get the feeling of nauseousness and dizziness. One time it got so bad my whole body was so weak I could not keep myself standing, had my parents take me to the ER because they thought I was having some kind of heart attack, it turns out that I have some kind of weird blood sugar problem where if I excercise my blood sugar levels will rise then drop to the point where I feel dizzy..

so maybe you should get checked for blood sugar levels. But the weird thing is, I eat healthy and almost never eat any carbs, let alone sugar... hmmm