PDA

View Full Version : Should I bring my Road Bike or Mountain Bike?

tom_9109
05-22-2010, 01:36 PM
I have gotten a job in Calgary and will be in the city for the entire month of June before my family comes up. I'll be staying with a friend so I am limited to only bringing one of my bikes with me. My friend lives in the Beddington area.

I want to get some cycling done while I am there as there isn't much else for me to do but work. I'm a little concerned riding the roadbike in the city with all the texters and retards so I'd rather stick to light traffic areas or paved bike paths.

Which should I bring?

I have:
A Cannondale Roadbike
A Rocky Mountain Hardtail ( Great for XC/Freeride)
Kona Cowan Rigid w/ rigid for and single speed

Which bike is going to be the most enjoyable given the city and the area I am in? Any suggestions on places to ride any of the bikes?

bigboom
05-22-2010, 02:14 PM
i'd bring the hardtail you can go do some riding in nosehill park with it.

flipstah
05-22-2010, 04:31 PM
I'd bring the hardtail because it's more versatile and you can use it for trail riding.

If you're just doing commutes though, roadbikes are okay. We have nice bikepaths all over Calgary so you don't have to share the road with idiots.

swak
05-22-2010, 05:59 PM
^^Rather you share the bike paths (MUP's) with even bigger idiots, IMO.

But just because I'm a die hard roadie, I say bring the road bike.. But bring what you feel you'll use more. Do you need a full suspension bike (are you planning on going and riding trails every second weekend?) If not, you may not need a full suspension bike......
With a road bike you can go really anywhere there's a paved street.. And that's pretty well everywhere/anywhere.

EDIT: Ranking them id say
1-Road
2-Hardtail
3-Singlespeed

syeve
05-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by bigboom
i'd bring the hardtail you can go do some riding in nosehill park with it.

Yep...Beddington is very close to Nosehill. Some decent riding in there. OR you could make a trip to Bragg and ride some first class single track and BLOW YOUR MIND :D

core_upt
05-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Single-speed is not worth it for sure, your commute will involve hills significant enough to make this not feasible. It would be great if you were commuting within the core, but since DT is in a valley, there are large hills 20 minutes every direction from the core.

Id bring the XC bike if you want to ride dirt - there are plenty of places close by, by both bike and car.

Road bike if you just want to commute and ride paved paths. The path system is pretty decent and well connected. Paths are in good condition and the main ones are even cleared in the winter, so you can ride year round (though you would want your XC for snow/ice).

tom_9109
05-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Well I am not commuting on the bike, just for pleasure riding. When I move the rest of my stuff on July 1st (ish) I'mm bring the rest of the bikes,

I'm thinking the hardtail MTB is what I will bring as its a little more versatile.

scary_perry
05-27-2010, 02:05 PM
I say take the XC bike.

Once you learn the city (and what's West of here) you will have a lot of use for that road bike.

But as a general purpose exploration vehicle an XC bike can not be beat.