PDA

View Full Version : Where to get bricks for raised flower beds?

ZeroGravity
05-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Looking for those interlocking bricks / blocks which can be used for short retaining walls...

I have checked out the usual shops such as Home Depot, Sunny Side. Looking at the prices per brick / block, and then seeing what others' yards or landscaping looked like, people must of spend a small fortune on them.

Is 3 - 5 dollars / block about what should be expected? The not so big raised flower bed I'm planning is around 300 bucks at that price. Are there better prices elsewhere?

Thanks.

Kardon
05-22-2010, 11:56 PM
Check out burnco? I think they have that kinda stuff..

eblend
05-23-2010, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Kardon
Check out burnco? I think they have that kinda stuff..

They do, saw a bunch of different kinds there last week. They are at the intercestion of deerfoot and glenmore, have to enter from around that golf driving range around the deerfoot auto mall

Masked Bandit
05-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Over the years (and different properties) I've bought thousands of dollars worth of these items. You'll find that the price between Burnco, Home Depot & Totem to be almost identical. Shop Canadian, buy from Burnco or Totem.

codetrap
05-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Over the years (and different properties) I've bought thousands of dollars worth of these items. You'll find that the price between Burnco, Home Depot & Totem to be almost identical. Shop Canadian, buy from Burnco or Totem.

I usually found burnco to be better in pricing on this type of stuff over home depot.

surferbaby13
10-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Burnco will ripe you off.....give me a shout and I can hook u up with my discount at Alomar. The bricks you want to buy is called a Split n Stack.....they have about 4 colours to choose from. The bricks you want is made from expocrete there blocks are much smaller and look better. I can get you the brick at 2 bucks a piece. Another good place to look is kiji. People are always getting rid of their bricks on their for cheap.

cidley69
10-04-2010, 07:57 AM
There is a place on 52 st se that sells all this type of stuff at nearly 1/2 the price of burnco. I think its called canadian pavers.

there cement products are made in edmonton, so very "shopping local" even.

H O Concrete/Canadian Paving Stone Ltd (Joint Venture)Address:Station is accessible‎
Not true? Show all edits Not true?
Write a review - - more info »
Placement on map is approximate
3972 52 Street SE
Calgary, AB T2B 3H1, Canada

Get Directions
(403) 247-9542

surferbaby13
10-05-2010, 05:51 AM
canadian pavers and expocrete are pretty much the same brick. except expocrete is Local up in balzac.

bmeier
10-15-2010, 12:47 AM
i used alomar and they were pretty good. ended up ordering way too many bricks though which was a huge pain... too many is better than too little IMO, but dont make the same mistake i did and order way too many...

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u103/aw11ben/wall6.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u103/aw11ben/wall13.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u103/aw11ben/wall9.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u103/aw11ben/IMG00003-20090926-1343.jpg

Masked Bandit
10-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Nice work!

tangj
10-15-2010, 11:30 AM
If your working a small project and you have access to a truck/van then you can pick it up yourself instead of paying for delivery.. I live in the NW and I picked up all my sand/gravel/bricks at this place by deerfoot mall called ornamental stone they had some really good deals there.

But the best deals are definitely on kijiji, just be careful when you go pick them up and check if they're old and worn down cause when your using your mallet they crack/break very easily, so try looking for the people who buy too much and sell them for cheap on kijiji like bemeier ( nice work btw! wall looks great)

bmeier
10-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Nice work!

thanks

its not super hard just time consuming, leveling the first row is a huge PITA.

surferbaby13
10-19-2010, 07:48 AM
did u do this all urself?

surferbaby13
10-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by bmeier

thanks

its not super hard just time consuming, leveling the first row is a huge PITA.

can I hire you next year? thats awesome work dude....i bet your back hurt by the end of the day. pisa walls are brutal especially the 90's for the corners.....and then cutting them with a tub saw is also brutal.....oh how I miss landscaping! But great job.

bmeier
10-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by surferbaby13

can I hire you next year? thats awesome work dude....i bet your back hurt by the end of the day. pisa walls are brutal especially the 90's for the corners.....and then cutting them with a tub saw is also brutal.....oh how I miss landscaping! But great job.

haha lol maybe depending on compensation :)
ya my back was a little sore...

since i had so many extra bricks I redid the window wells as well and got rid of those ugly looking metal retainers

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u103/aw11ben/IMG00005-20090926-1345.jpg

ExtraSlow
10-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Burnco will take any excess bricks back with no hassle. I was really happy with them.

I did some planters and snort retaining walls with the "rox" block. I highly recommend avoiding that particular product. The faces aren't parallel, so it's nearly impossible to make them line up.

bmeier
10-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Burnco will take any excess bricks back with no hassle. I was really happy with them.

I did some planters and snort retaining walls with the "rox" block. I highly recommend avoiding that particular product. The faces aren't parallel, so it's nearly impossible to make them line up.

Alomar also takes the bricks back no hassle, its just more work having to load them back up into a car/truck. I probably had an entire pallet worth of extra brick that i had to take back and it sucked...