PDA

View Full Version : Good start to my long weekend

bjstare
05-23-2010, 01:25 AM
Here's the route I did today. Awesome, didn't get any rain and didn't get stuck behind too much traffic. Unfortunately I couldn't really wind up my bike on the only empty straight cause my helmet started lifting off around 220... couldn't get tucked with my tank bag :poosie:

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=115941536039012800253.00048729b419cc6a11cf3&ll=48.599317,-123.884583&spn=0.507672,1.234589&t=h&z=10

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/cjblair/map.jpg

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/cjblair/IMAG0026.jpg

took a break here...

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/cjblair/IMAG0027.jpg

I'm sure gonna miss riding here when I move back to Calgary for good in Sept. Gotta make the most of this summer.:(

Go4Long
05-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Think I've mentioned it to you before, but just before you go in to sooke on the highway there(at mile 17 pub) hang a left on to gillespie rd, then take that all the way to the end and hang a right onto E Sooke Rd...both gillespie Rd and E Sooke Rd are AWESOME rides.

Looks like a fun loop though.

japan_us
05-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Looks good! Calgary weather hasn't been too nice lately. I'm definitely moving if the opportunity comes up (crossing fingers).

How's the Ninja treating you?

bjstare
05-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
Think I've mentioned it to you before, but just before you go in to sooke on the highway there(at mile 17 pub) hang a left on to gillespie rd, then take that all the way to the end and hang a right onto E Sooke Rd...both gillespie Rd and E Sooke Rd are AWESOME rides.

Looks like a fun loop though.

Yeah, you've mentioned that. Its funny, I actually rode down there regularly before you mentioned it; I found E sooke rd by accident when I was lost once lol. I like them because its easy to just get out for a couple hours, don't have to commit a half day or anything. Those are definitely awesome rides.

Originally posted by japan_us
Looks good! Calgary weather hasn't been too nice lately. I'm definitely moving if the opportunity comes up (crossing fingers).

How's the Ninja treating you?

The ninja is unreal, I'm really happy with it. The only thing I don't like is the dial highmount exhaust on it. To get a aftermarket set of cans is an outrageous price, but I'm considering a couple things: a two brothers VALE system, it goes to a single side higmount (and is way cheaper). Only problem is, I've read it really messes with back pressure and isn't great for the power curve of the bike. The other thing is a set of A&R racing baffles. Turn my stock exhaust into an aftermarket for ~$100 haha.

The bike has an outrageous amount of power. If you roll on in 6th, it goes fast, but doesn't even wake up til you hit 170... then its a rocketship (like every other new liter bike I guess..). So much different than my old R1.

shutterbug_art8
05-23-2010, 01:44 PM
How's the wildlife? See a lot on the road?

bjstare
05-23-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by shutterbug_art8
How's the wildlife? See a lot on the road?

None actually, its great. Every time I've done this loop I haven't seen anything on or near the road... maybe I'm just lucky? The only thing to worry about is in some sections they put fresh gravel on the inside shoulder of corners, which gets kicked out by cars... and since the top third of the loop through the mountains is a paved logging road (awesome btw) theres bits of bark on the road to watch out for.

Zigo
05-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Oh man! A buddy and I are going to do something like that this summer. Might carry a tent or something, and camp out when we get tired.

bjstare
05-24-2010, 12:18 PM
^Ya that would be a good time. I love doing long trips. I would def suggest saddlebags over a backpack if you're thinking about it though. Did a 10 day trip with a backpack through nevada, cali, oregon and washington.... ended up strappin my bag over the backseat haha, my back killed me.

revelations
05-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Wow, I lived in Nanaimo for 13 years and I thought about doing this loop but I was under the impression that a lot of the west part was still gravel.

Some REALLY nice riding by Sydney for sure - gods country.

bjstare
05-24-2010, 03:56 PM
When I did it a couple years ago, the west part (from Port Renfrew to Cowichan Lake) was about 35% gravel. Had to definitely take it slow because going through gravel switchbacks on a crotch rocket with my wife on the back... kinda scary.

Those switchbacks are now freshly paved (therefore switchback = hairpin) :poosie:

revelations
05-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
When I did it a couple years ago, the west part (from Port Renfrew to Cowichan Lake) was about 35% gravel. Had to definitely take it slow because going through gravel switchbacks on a crotch rocket with my wife on the back... kinda scary.

Those switchbacks are now freshly paved (therefore switchback = hairpin) :poosie:

:drool:

S4maniac
05-24-2010, 09:28 PM
They finished paving the entire route (except for about 100ft) last year. Its a very cool ride ... lots of mushroom hunters out in the back woods.

Zigo
05-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
^Ya that would be a good time. I love doing long trips. I would def suggest saddlebags over a backpack if you're thinking about it though. Did a 10 day trip with a backpack through nevada, cali, oregon and washington.... ended up strappin my bag over the backseat haha, my back killed me.

Yea, I'd probably invest in some kind of touring set sometime in the future. How was the trip in the US? Where did ya sleep? and eat for that matter lol.

bjstare
05-25-2010, 08:36 AM
^Motel 6 and Jack in the Box, respectively. Lol. Not even joking, that was pretty much the whole trip. It was fairly inexpensive actually. Plus, after riding in 30+ degree weather it was almost critical to get in the shower at the end of the day. Another important thing was having a place to keep the bikes safe, so we always got 1st floor rooms and wheeled 'em in. The trip was awesome, the cali coast up the 1 and 101 was absolutly ridiculous. So many corners and epic scenery.