PDA

View Full Version : BuySell scam?

bigbadboss101
05-23-2010, 10:37 AM
I inquired about a vehicle on Buysell.com and got this reply back. Looks suspicious to me. Now my question is what they plan to do with my name and email address?

--Hello there,
I appreciate that you contacted me. First let me say that the 1998 Toyota 4Runner available for $3,500 CAD (final price). It is in good condition,there are no scratches or any dents on it,very well maintained.I have a clear title for it, no liens or loans. Never been in any accidents.It has only 125,000 km.
Because of my divorce settlement,i own this car and as a woman without driver`s license i don`t need it so i`m trying to get rid of it as soon as possible(that`s why i`m selling it so cheap).We will use eBay`s Vehicle Purchase Protection plan for our both safety,i want only legit transactions.I just need your full name and address so i can open a case .(with no further obligation or fees). Have a nice day!
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate ask.
Where are you located?
Best Regards.

A790
05-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Dude, search. I'm surprised you haven't encountered this exact thread 100 times already.

Coles notes: scam.

bigbadboss101
05-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Yeah I have seen that before. Not sure what they are attempting to do though. A while ago when I was looking for a puppy I had the same kind of reply.

Kloubek
05-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Does it MATTER what they are trying to do? It's a scam. A fraud. Whatever it is, you don't want a part of it.

J.M.
05-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Does it MATTER what they are trying to do? It's a scam. A fraud. Whatever it is, you don't want a part of it.

:werd:

Unknown303
05-23-2010, 01:06 PM
If you think it might be a scam... it is a scam.

BlackArcher101
05-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Yeah I have seen that before. Not sure what they are attempting to do though. A while ago when I was looking for a puppy I had the same kind of reply.

Here's the scam part: "eBay`s Vehicle Purchase Protection plan"

Considering the car isn't even on eBay, they will direct you to a fake ebay website with the car on it. Thinking this ebay site is legit, the buyer will send money to this false front, thinking they will act as escrow. They will then bullshit you and drag on delivery of the vehicle, while they run with your money.

LEGiiT
05-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Scam. Contacted a few people on Autotrader and Kijiji about their cars and the reply was similar. "I'm in no need of this car because my husband and I got divorced and I want to get rid of it fast, that is why it's so cheap. I will use eBay to for the purchase, I am in England, the car is in Victoria and shipping is included." Also when I asked for the VIN, they said they would rather not give it over email.

Also, generally speaking, any sale like this under $10,000 doesn't get investigated by the authorities, and goes dev/null. That is why it's such a popular scam, because they can get away with it, especially when they're in Malaysia etc.