PDA

View Full Version : Renewing Alberta License Quickly

calgaryFTO
05-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Hi,

Sorry if this question seems silly, I am from the UK and every year I have to renew my license and every time I have to wait for 2 weeks for the card to show.

I need to renew my alberta license before I leave on an international trip next week.

If I renew at AMA do I get the new permanent license that day?

If not, are there any options to pay for a quicker turn?

inline6turbo
05-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Only the government can issue the licenses. Thus why it takes so long for one to arrive and all registries are privately owned/operated afaik. So you have to wait for one to be sent out to you in the mail. I don't believe there's any way to speed it up.

dannie
05-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Nope, the gov does not offer a quick service. And there is no where in the city that has any other options.

If you are worried about it, renew your Alberta Drivers Licence, head to AMA and pay for an International Licence. That way you will have a photo licence on the spot for international driving.

Just a heads up though, the international is only valid in conjunction with a valid Alberta Licence. So if you go past the 30 day point on your temporary Alberta Licence, you can get a fine for driving solely on the International one.

calgaryFTO
05-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by dannie
Nope, the gov does not offer a quick service. And there is no where in the city that has any other options.

If you are worried about it, renew your Alberta Drivers Licence, head to AMA and pay for an International Licence. That way you will have a photo licence on the spot for international driving.

Just a heads up though, the international is only valid in conjunction with a valid Alberta Licence. So if you go past the 30 day point on your temporary Alberta Licence, you can get a fine for driving solely on the International one.

I think I will have to do the IDP option

dannie
05-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Its easy enough to do. Walk in pay the ~30 and walk out with it.