PDA

View Full Version : Ducati Monster

Karnoc
05-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Hey all

I was wondering what people thought of ducati's 698 monster? i have a honda 125 cbr i bought for the fuel mileage... but after a couple years i'am thinking its time to upgrade, any thoughts or recommendations on the matter? Thanks

Chandler_Racing
05-24-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm debating between both the Ducati Monster and Triumph Street Triple. Can't really speak to the bikes as Im buying purely on appearance and sound, but have never rode one. :rofl:

revelations
05-24-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm not too familiar with Monsters but they require the usual, expensive Desmodromic valve adjustments at regular intervals. Something to keep in mind as this isnt cheap.

IMO the whole Desmo system is a needless throwback to the old days when valve springs used to be a problem. Now its a ploy for marketing purposes... and for the serious racers perhaps who like to bounce of the red line all the time. at WOT.

With todays CAD/CAM technology, optimal springs are tested and tuned on computers before they ever get placed in an engine.

revelations
05-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing
I'm debating between both the Ducati Monster and Triumph Street Triple. Can't really speak to the bikes as Im buying purely on appearance and sound, but have never rode one. :rofl:

I hope you dont mind the Duc dry clutch rattle sound...:nut:

(it drove me nuts on group rides)

revelations
05-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Modified clutch , but you get the idea.

4P9Cz5G0PhU

RC51.... NO clutch rattle :poosie:

RK-whCidPYM

bjstare
05-24-2010, 04:01 PM
^I think those dry clutches are sick haha, especially with the open cover. So cool.

For OP: There's a guy in one of my classes that has a street triple and loves it. Says the engine has an awesome power band, really torquey and also is reliable. Duc's are sweet, but they'll cost ya.

GQBalla
05-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Dry clutches sound so sickkk. Love it for some reason.

Karnoc
05-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks revelation thats the first i had heard of the Desmodromic valves... i looked in to it and indeed they look like they would be (for me at least) a needless expense, guess ill keep looking.

revelations
05-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Ducs are kinda like the Ferrari of motorbikes.

Nice to look at (and ride) but will cost a lot in upkeep - although the Monster isnt AS bad as other Ducs.

YamaLube
05-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Ducs are kinda like the Ferrari of motorbikes.

Nice to look at (and ride) but will cost a lot in upkeep - although the Monster isnt AS bad as other Ducs.

No to mention often stolen......

Graham_A_M
05-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

Go for the Street triple man.... I have 20k on my Daytona 675 and nothing but absolute praise for it. Total cost in maintenance? $1400 for both the 10k and the 20k services.
Try that with a Duc if you ever wanted to feel what dire frustration feels like.

RiceMonkey
05-28-2010, 06:17 PM
:burnout:

MK1GTI
05-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Another bike to consider that is in the same category more of less as the Monster is a Aprilia Dorsoduro, they sound fantastic, are a blast to ride and the maintenance isn't too bad.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/2009-aprilia-smv-750-dorsoduro-3.jpg

japan_us
05-29-2010, 12:16 AM
Coming from a former Street Triple owner (who has rode his fair share of Monsters), take my advice if choosing between the two and get the Triumph.

The Duc has better finish, but that's about it. The triple motor is just awesome, and the bike is sooo fun to ride.