PDA

View Full Version : Guy wants refund for car sold?

eg_eric
05-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Hey Beyond, just asking some advice.

I just sold a car to a guy on kijiji, and I clearly posted on the ad that the car has engine problems, and it would need to be fixed. I got a response for it and the guy seemed to want it, so i even delivered it to his place, and made it clear the car was being sold "as is". He stated he had the money to fix the problems with the car.

Now he's saying that the car did not pass inspection (DUH!) and wants a refund. What do you guys think? I'm willing to give a refund but i'm not sure that every sale works with a "100% satisfaction guaranteed" even when I told him the car had problems and the bill of sale states "as is".

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Tell him its not your problem, you made it known it had problems before the sale and he still purchased it.

KuruptEX
05-24-2010, 06:46 PM
its a buyer beware market. With that being said he was known of the problems, and as you had stated"AS IS".

G-ZUS
05-24-2010, 06:47 PM
tewll him to go get fucked

drtoohotty1
05-24-2010, 06:53 PM
yup as long as you wrote "as is" on the bill of sale he can go pound sand

eg_eric
05-24-2010, 06:53 PM
I should mention he was a kid, definitely no older than 20. His older brother is telling him to get a refund.

euro_racer
05-24-2010, 06:54 PM
yup...he's SOL

G-ZUS
05-24-2010, 06:54 PM
wat kinda of car

max_boost
05-24-2010, 06:56 PM
:rofl:

Tell him you aren't Walmart and it's a final sale.

revelations
05-24-2010, 06:57 PM
What "problems" is he referring to as you already told him about the engine problems.

Final sale though.

eg_eric
05-24-2010, 06:58 PM
it was the '94 e36 i was having problems with, there was a forum that described some of the problems i had, i think it's deleted now. I was so straight up with him, I told him everything that was wrong with it, and the ad is really specific.

TorqueDog
If you clearly informed the guy that the car had issues and indicated the sale was as-is, then you're in the clear.

TomcoPDR
I hate people like this (the buyer), based on your story, I think you've already done what you need and beyond, he under estimated what he was getting himself into (his problem).

You're not a dealership, you don't need to guarantee customer satification.

People nowadays just don't appreicate what others do for them.

Coles notes:
- Buyer = pound sand

inline6turbo
There's no lemon law in Alberta. There's absolutely nothing he can do. You can't even return a vehicle to a dealership if it breaks down right away.

http://www.amvic.org/choosing_vehicle.htm

"Contrary to popular belief, there is no “Lemon Law” in Alberta.

...you have nowhere to turn if things go wrong"

corsvette
05-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Are you Wal-Mart? Even NEW cars don't usually come with money back guarantees,this guy needs to learn lessons in life,starting with buying used cars with noted problems,he can't seriously think he should get a full refund.

eg_eric
05-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
Are you Wal-Mart? Even NEW cars don't usually come with money back guarantees,this guy needs to learn lessons in life,starting with buying used cars with noted problems,he can't seriously think he should get a full refund.

i agree, i'm just not wanting to get harassed or anything, he does have my address and phone number. also, i don't want to be that kind of guy who sells crap to kids, because honestly, the car did have problems, but the ad did state that.

FiveFreshFish
05-24-2010, 07:05 PM
The buyer's brother should go fuck himself.

Integra10
05-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by eg_eric

i agree, i'm just not wanting to get harassed or anything, he does have my address and phone number. also, i don't want to be that kind of guy who sells crap to kids, because honestly, the car did have problems, but the ad did state that.

As long as you told him what was wrong with it before he bought it you are completely in the clear lawfully and morally. What probably happened is the kid was so anxious he just bought the first thing he could afford and his brother told him it was a piece of junk now he has buyer's remorse. Either way I would politely tell him to fuck off. All sales final.

max_boost
05-24-2010, 07:10 PM

If he bothers you, you post up all his info and Beyond CSI will "take care" of the rest. :thumbsup:

eg_eric
05-24-2010, 07:12 PM
i hope his family isn't beating him for buying the car... he seemed like a real nice asian kid. he said the car was for his mom.

eg_eric
05-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

If he bothers you, you post up all his info and Beyond CSI will "take care" of the rest. :thumbsup:

lol I don't doubt that. Buy my girl feels really bad about it, and I don't want any problems, I think I'm going to give him his money back, but I'm going to ask that since I delivered it to his place, he should deliver it back to mine.

What do you guys think?

eglove
05-24-2010, 07:35 PM
just because you won't be getting blowjobs from your girl for awhile because she feels bad doesn't mean the guy should get his money back.

eg_eric
05-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by eglove
just because you won't be getting blowjobs from your girl for awhile because she feels bad doesn't mean the guy should get his money back.

LOL totally not what i meant by "feel bad" and you're right, but my main problem is If he wasn't a kid i wouldn't have an issue at all.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-24-2010, 07:37 PM
If you do take it back, charge a small "re-stocking" fee for wasting your time.

corsvette
05-24-2010, 07:41 PM

lol I don't doubt that. Buy my girl feels really bad about it, and I don't want any problems, I think I'm going to give him his money back, but I'm going to ask that since I delivered it to his place, he should deliver it back to mine.

What do you guys think?

Thats a very nice thing to do,seeing that he is just a kid and all i would feel bad too,but i would make sure he brings the car back to you at least,and maybe keep $100 for your time,and having to re-post the Kijiji ad.

sr20s14zenki
05-24-2010, 07:47 PM
I wouldnt take the car back, who the hell knows what he has done to it in the time he's had it. Buyer beware. Would YOU expect money back if YOU bought a car in a hurry and had second thoughts? I dont think so, i know i wouldnt. I sold a car once, the guy called me for 2 months every time something was quirky about it. I told him, this car is finnicky, rotaries are like that. Finally i had to tell him im not his 1800 tech support line for the car, and to either learn it or have a mechanic work on it for him.

m10-power
05-24-2010, 07:53 PM
What's wrong with the engine?

eg_eric
05-24-2010, 07:56 PM
the mechanic i took it to said it was a timing tensioner that comes undone on the e36. i dont have the time or money to fix it so i just wanted to get rid of it, car still runs, it just makes a ticking sounds when it is speeding up.

LEGiiT
05-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Yea be careful about the cars condition if you take it back... he may have stolen some components, it'll run fine until you get home with it ;)

He got it for his mom, my ass. Sorry.

1-Bar
05-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
I wouldnt take the car back, who the hell knows what he has done to it in the time he's had it. ...

this

Unknown303
05-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Yeah just sounds like he's making a story now to guilt you into taking it back.

signature7
05-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Even though you're not responsible to taking it back, it's pretty decent of you to consider it. I think I would feel bad too, especially if the kid doesn't seem like a punk or deadbeat ect. Some kids just jump at the brand or badge and must have it now mentality, I'm sure most of us were like that/still are.

Jeremiah
05-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Tell him he should have got an extended warranty hahahaha

badatusrnames
05-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by corsvette

keep $100 for your time,and having to re-post the Kijiji ad.

Ok now, that's just being cheap.

max_boost
05-24-2010, 08:32 PM
You have to be crazy to take the car back.

davesparky6
05-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Tell the guy that you won't give him a refund, but you will BUY the car from him... And lowball the price.
I bought a lemon for my first car and didn't get a refund. Lesson learned, this kid needs to be more careful.
:banghead:

JordanAndrew
05-24-2010, 08:35 PM
is he over 18? If so, he's not a kid. Tell him it's his problem now.

Integra10
05-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by signature7
Even though you're not responsible to taking it back, it's pretty decent of you to consider it. I think I would feel bad too, especially if the kid doesn't seem like a punk or deadbeat ect. Some kids just jump at the brand or badge and must have it now mentality, I'm sure most of us were like that/still are.

This. It's awesome of you to even consider taking it back. I would have told him to go pound sand.

94boosted
05-24-2010, 08:40 PM
You did the right thing by letting him know of all of the issues, he bought the car regardless.

eg_eric
05-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Well I sent him an email a couple of hours ago asking him why he wants his money back, and no response yet. Obviously he's not desperate to get it back. If he doesn't email me before the end of the night, there is no way I'm taking a car back that has been out of my sight for more than 24 hours.

bjstare
05-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Tell him you'll buy it back for $350.

Seriously though, you would have to be nuts to take the car back. If he harasses you, get a restraining order. Kid needs to grow up.

shutterbug_art8
05-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Is he a minor? and the bill in his name or you left it blank? If he's over 18 and you wrote his name on the bill....just kindly tell him off.

stealth1313
05-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Hey Beyond, just asking some advice.

I just sold a car to a guy on kijiji, and I clearly posted on the ad that the car has engine problems, and it would need to be fixed. I got a response for it and the guy seemed to want it, so i even delivered it to his place, and made it clear the car was being sold "as is". He stated he had the money to fix the problems with the car.

Now he's saying that the car did not pass inspection (DUH!) and wants a refund. What do you guys think? I'm willing to give a refund but i'm not sure that every sale works with a "100% satisfaction guaranteed" even when I told him the car had problems and the bill of sale states "as is". just tell him to hop off your dick

RMS
05-25-2010, 09:44 AM
If he doesn't respond by today evening, say you can't take the return because it's been out of your sight for 24 hours.

OR

If you do decide to accept the return, say that you will be going through a detailed inspection to make sure nothing is wrong/missing from the car

japan_us
05-25-2010, 09:59 AM
OP - the kid didn't do his homework, and ended up buying a lesson, and now you feel bad. I can understand that. But you'll feel worse if you take it back, and it turns out that he's the one taking YOU to school.

Neil4Speed
05-25-2010, 10:19 AM
i hope his family isn't beating him for buying the car... he seemed like a real nice asian kid. he said the car was for his mom.

Your a really nice guy for considering this, and of course if you do it, good on you, but most definitely won't think any less of you if you don't - you explained the problem with detail - what further would he want right?

Shlade
05-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Is this the green 4 door that was being sold on kijiji for $1100? If it is what are you thinking? Forget about it dude sold as is where is.

kenny
05-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Tell him you'll take the car back but to ensure that he hasn't messed anything up that you'll take it to get inspected first.

Then you tell him that you cannot accept the car back because it didn't pass the inspection.

:thumbsup:

WrongWheelDrive
05-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Or, just tell him to beat it... It's nice of you to even consider doing this, but sold as is, where is. You told him it wouldn't pass inspection, and disclosed everything in your ad. This isn't some 48 hour test drive lol.

This type of thing will start to become expected way too often if it happens more often...

Kloubek
05-25-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't agree with people that are saying you would be "crazy" to take it back. It isn't crazy; it is unlikely he has wrecked it further in the meantime. But it isn't necessary to take it back either.

You disclosed to him that the car was not roadworthy and needed repairs. If you covered it up and he wanted a refund, there would be more of a moral obligation.

You're a good guy to even consider giving him his money back. But at the end of the day, it is his issue to deal with now. Case closed.

TomcoPDR
05-25-2010, 03:19 PM

Sounds like you're a good guy, I'd probably try doing the same in your situation (pending on who it is, and how it's presented, good/bad attitude, etc...)

But I think he's just using this line, lol. Guess it worked on you.

Are you Asian yourself? Guess you could help another brother out.

But if you're white, black, brown, then just laugh in his face and tell him and his brother to keep it real in the rice field. Not like he hasn't dealt with discrimination living in Calgary as an Asian anyways... In this case you're 110% in the right anyways.

spikerS
05-25-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't know, I can't believe how much this happens these days.

I check a car out when I want to buy it. I make sure I know exactly what the car needs to become road worthy and what not. I do my homework. If i need a car to drive tomorrow, I make sure it will pass inspection today.

I have made the goof up before. couple years ago i bought a pathfinder at auction for what I thought was a smoking deal. It was an impulse bid, and didn't check it out in the lot before hand. I ended up winning the auction. The damn thing just about didn't make it home. I didn't even contemplate going back to the auction house and asking for my money back. When I finally was able to sell it, I lost over $2k on it. Lesson learned.

Maybe I am just an asshole, but if he called me up again, I would just laugh at him and hang up.

masoncgy
05-25-2010, 03:31 PM
As someone who once bought a car at age 17 that was seriously far more busted up than I had thought it was, I know what it's like to get burned...

...but in the end, no one put a gun to my head to make me buy it either, so lesson learned.

Ever since, I've been super anal about getting cars checked out thoroughly, shopping around, etc... so it was a good lesson.

Too bad this kid is learning the hard way, but it'll make him smarter & wiser going forward (well, I assume anyway).

civicmang
05-25-2010, 03:34 PM
tell him to get his asian family 2 sell off one of their grow ops. bam new m3

cocoabrova
05-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Tell him you'll take the car back but to ensure that he hasn't messed anything up that you'll take it to get inspected first.

Then you tell him that you cannot accept the car back because it didn't pass the inspection.

:thumbsup:

I seocnd that motion:thumbsup:

InRich
05-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Dude.... just buy it back from him, less paper work... make sure your not paying what he bought it from you... your times worth at least 250 + whatever the delivery cost you.

and... stop being such a nice guy. your making us feel like assholes ;)

thinmyster
05-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Post your fs ad.

cherryjones
05-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

RMS
05-26-2010, 02:06 PM
well it's been past 24 hours so just tell him that you can't take it back anymore. If he was desperate, he definitely would have responded to your email