PDA

View Full Version : Need New Program

1-Bar
05-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Hey all,

I'm in need of a new program, just finished up 5/3/1 and it worked pretty good. Looking to find something more functional in terms of the sports I participate in (bjj, basketball, wrestling, boxing). Just wondering if anyone here is doing something like that....

Looking to incorporate more compound exercises in the gym (squats, deads, clean and jerk....etc) for explosive/power gains.

What would you recommend.

Thanks!

liquidboi69
05-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Here's a strength routine I made a while ago. Not sure how it will help with sports, but it's made for strength training in mind.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yeuljy2bdr2

If you actually do it, you could probably replace the lockout bench day with shoulder stuff in 5/3/1 if you don't have any of that equipment. Use the 4th week if you fail to gauge if you need to increase the training 1RM or decrease it. Also, probably take a deload week similar to 5/3/1 after the 4th week and repeat.

I wouldn't bother with clean and jerks. Olympic lifts don't help with sports explosiveness...only weight lifting explosiveness. Also, learning the movement is a time investment that isn't worth it.

Also, in regards to speed training, depending on how old you are you might not even need to train for speed.

When you are young, you need to concentrate on building strength. Since people who are younger aren't as developed, getting stronger will make them automatically faster. There's a correlation with more mature lifters (40+) being slower and stronger...while when you are young, you MAY be faster and weaker.

That's why you see programs like Joe Defranco's WS4SB have no plyo work for younger guys, and rep work in it's place.

1-Bar
05-25-2010, 12:39 AM
thanks for the info....I'll check out your program :thumbsup:

pinoyhero
05-25-2010, 05:13 AM
Crossfit

liquidboi69
05-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Another thing to note if the program seems like it has high targets: you are supposed to pyramid up to that weight for the last set with 10-15lb jumps.

wintonyk
05-25-2010, 11:07 AM
+1 for crossfit. its the most functional strength you can develope. Even if people bitch about their pull ups.