PDA

View Full Version : Blown Amp

shakalaka
05-25-2010, 01:23 AM
So I drove to Kelowna over the long weekend and on the way my music just suddenly cuts out completely. I smell something burning and immediately pull over to the side. After a bit of looking around and removing the luggage and carpet from my trunk I see that there is smoke coming out of my amp (it's super hot) and you hear an occasional 'popping' noise from it. So I pull out the fuses in the amp to make sure that it doesn't stay on.

So what exactly happened here? My guess would be that it blew cause of the over heating? After 3 days (today) I put the fuses back in to see if it works but nope. It doesn't work at all, I can see on my dvd deck that the music is going on but I don't hear anything at all.

So is this amp fried then? Also wondering what is a good amp I should get to replace this now? I don't want to do anything ridiculously expensive, infact the cheaper the better.

I have two 10'' Kicker subs and all my speakers and everything are connected to the amp as well (I am guessing since nothing works now and not just the subs). It was a custom audio installation job where the spare tire was taken out to put the subs and another spot for the amp. So the new amp will be fitting at the same spot, but it's big enough so I don't think I need to worry about the size of the new amp. Would prefer an amp that is more of a rectangle (longer) shape rather than a small, square shape since that's what the spot in the trunk and the current amp looks like.

Also not quite sure if I understand what the difference's between 1 & 2 channel or 4 channel is and what's a better choice to go with?

These are the subs that I have

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/attachments/car-audio-sale/93646d1189273228-kicker-l7-jaime-subs.jpg

Thanks in advance guys.

shakalaka
05-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Anyone has any ideas here?

I was gonna head out to Best Buy or something today to look for a diff amp, it would help if I had some idea about what I should be looking at.

Kloubek
05-25-2010, 10:33 AM
If you're smelling burning electrical, and it doesn't work, then there is an excellent chance it is fried.

Amps don't last forever. It might have overheated, or just might have internally quit. Either way, sounds like a new amp for you. :(

CA18-S13
05-25-2010, 10:45 AM
First off, that amp is dead........

Second, what is the make/model of this dead amp?

Thirdly, How many door speakers are running off this and how many RCA channels are coming from the deck?

- If you have 4 door speakers running and 2 subs the best solutions would be to find a good 5 channel amp or run one 2 or 4 channel amp for the speakers and a 1 channel amp for the subs.

You can also use a really good 4 channel amp for that setup but it would have to be beast to get any kind of quantity.

- If you have only 2 door speakers then a good 4 channel amp will work for the setup or again a 2 channel for the doors and a 1 channel for the subs.

I would say if you want a setup that will last and have great output get a class A or AB, 2 or 4 channel amp for the door speakers and a 1 channel class D amp for the subs.

Shoot me a msg and I can easily help you out with making this work out great for you. ;)

shakalaka
05-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Ok so the model of the amp is Kicker IX405D

It looks like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dbILVCG9vZL/p_206IX405D/Kicker-Impulse-IX405D.html

And as far as I can tell there are 4 speakers in the car, 2 door one's and 2 behind the seat head rests. And I think they are all connected to the amp. Plus the fact that even the speakers don't work anymore.

I think I need an amp equivalent to that one and gonna look at Visions.

futurecivic
05-25-2010, 09:18 PM
old school kicker amp i can hook you up with a new amp just pm me

Graham_A_M
05-27-2010, 08:22 PM
^ I may be interested. What model number?

futurecivic
05-27-2010, 10:05 PM
sorry i was commenting on the pic of his amp
but i can hook him up with a new amp