PDA

View Full Version : Canon 7D - Reviews?

assylo
05-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Looking to trade-in my XTi, any 7D users?

7D vs. D3 ?

quazimoto
05-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Sure you must be kidding. The 7D is better compared to the D300s. The Nikon D3 is a very amazing camera to say the least.

EvolizePhoto
05-25-2010, 03:58 PM
I used Kloubeks 7D for a weekend.

:eek: is all I have to say

sl888
05-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by quazimoto
The 7D is better compared to the D300s. :werd:
I did the same move. Had my XTi for about 2 years and got the 7D six months ago. IMO if you're sticking with Canon & a crop body then the 7D is your best bet. Loving mine so far but can't comment much. Only 100 actuation, haven't tried video, the 8 fps continuous shooting, the dual axis electronic level or the wireless flash controls. Big :thumbsup: for the new AF system though.
Go on POTN and check out the 7D threads. It will help you with your decision.

quazimoto
05-25-2010, 04:53 PM
I would say it's the best deal Canon has right now. The price of the 5D Mark II is still way too high in Calgary at least in my opinion. There just isn't any way you can compare to the D3 body though.

D300s vs 7D really equates to...........

Cleaner images with more dynamic range vs Higher Resolution.

The big plus on the 7D in my opinion is faster frames per second shooting without needing a grip. I think some people often downplay how important having a faster camera can be.

I'm not a huge fan of the video on most DSLRs as it is really still in it's infancy and if anything it can be a huge pain to use. On most DSLRs I honestly find you would need an external mic as the on board mics catch a lot of near silent noises that the camera might be making. It's still a nice bonus feature though.

Go4Long
05-25-2010, 06:03 PM
lots of positives about the camera for sure...here's a review on the negative for you to consider:

http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/the-canon-7d/

if you're a canon shooter and already invested in the canon system then sure, go with a 7D...but for the money it's simply put not the best camera available.

Comparing it to a D3 is like comparing a camaro to a ferrari.

But I'm a nikon fanboy, so my perspective might piss some people off ;)

Kloubek
05-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by EvolizePhoto
I used Kloubeks 7D for a weekend.

:eek: is all I have to say

Yeah, I really like my 7D. Can't say I have any major complaints; I guess it could be a bit lighter?

With that said, I can't really compare it to other brands either, because all I've had was the XT. But it rates a 10/10 in my (uneducated) books....

C4S
05-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Put it this way, it is good.

When I first got it, back to Dec/Jan .. I almost returned/sold it .. since I didn't think it is much better then 50D ..

However, more I use it, more i like it .. it's AF is so accurate and fast, work very well in low light too. ALL 19 points.

The AF ZONE selection is awesome, great idea, and somehow, it's high iso is better then 50D, even 20+% more pixel.

Of course, it is not in D3's class, unless you just compare the AF system.

Metering, handling, etc are very good as well.

The movie function is very good, much better then 5DII, but I am not big in video.

Most important, it is good value, for less then $2K.

Also, you can get the 17-55 F2.8IS, perfect combo with 7D.

:D

I will say 7D is a better camera then D300s, and 17-55IS is better then the Nikon one .. however, D300s is a "semi" old model, and 7D is a new model, it should be better.

:)

quazimoto
05-26-2010, 08:11 AM
I don't know how much better I would say the 7D is over the D300s since each have their pros and cons. The 7D is really as good as it gets for Canon until you start looking at 1D bodies though. I'm not a huge fan of the 5D Mark II at all and the 7D just simply has more to offer in so many ways. I can't say enough how much of an improvement the 7D AF is compared to previous cameras.

I just wonder if a 60D is actually coming out with similar specs that will be $500 cheaper. The 7D is still selling for $2000 which is a huge chunk of coin for a crop bodied camera.

bcylau
05-26-2010, 03:13 PM
I just sold my barely used 7d for $1650 so it can be had for little for than a d300s used.

from what I've seen, its pretty much a crop 5d mark1 but faster with video. 800 iso or lower, 5d is cleaner than the 7d but 1600 and on the 7d looks very close to the 5d. For a crop sensor and 18mp is just amazing.

sl888
05-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by quazimoto
I just wonder if a 60D is actually coming out with similar specs that will be $500 cheaper. The 7D is still selling for $2000 which is a huge chunk of coin for a crop bodied camera.
I bought mine for $1750 brand new from TCS back in Jan which I thought was a fair price. Since then I think I've seen it with its battery grip for about $1850 or so.

Originally posted by C4S

Also, you can get the 17-55 F2.8IS, perfect combo with 7D.

x2
The 17-55 has left my 7D once and that was to test the new 70-200

C4S
05-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by bcylau
I just sold my barely used 7d for $1650 so it can be had for little for than a d300s used.

from what I've seen, its pretty much a crop 5d mark1 but faster with video. 800 iso or lower, 5d is cleaner than the 7d but 1600 and on the 7d looks very close to the 5d. For a crop sensor and 18mp is just amazing.

Ouch .. then why would I going to sell mine for $1500? :(

Unknown303
05-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by C4S

Ouch .. then why would I going to sell mine for $1500? :(

If your selling yours for 15 then perhaps we should be having words. ;)

qrankz
06-10-2010, 02:10 PM
I was shooting video at an event freehand and it shut off on me. Overheated. Was filming about 5 to10 minute clips at one time for about 45 minutes without shutting it off.

Other than that...it was decent to use. Used it for runway shows for Alberta Fashion Week.

Mitsu3000gt
06-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by qrankz
I was shooting video at an event freehand and it shut off on me. Overheated. Was filming about 5 to10 minute clips at one time for about 45 minutes without shutting it off.

Other than that...it was decent to use. Used it for runway shows for Alberta Fashion Week.

Lots of people are complaining about the overheating issue across the various forums, seems like it would be very annoying. I think the video clips are limited to 12min/4GB or something like that at full resolution. Not very useful IMO.

--------------------------------------------------------------
To the OP, D300s > 7D unless you really need more resolution.

But if you already have a significant investment in Canon glass, get the 7D.

A 7D doesn't even come close to the D3, so perhaps you meant another model.

qrankz
06-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Lots of people are complaining about the overheating issue across the various forums, seems like it would be very annoying. I think the video clips are limited to 12min/4GB or something like that at full resolution. Not very useful IMO.

But if you already have a significant investment in Canon glass, get the 7D.

A 7D doesn't even come close to the D3, so perhaps you meant another model.

Ya 4GB. I haven't run into a scene where I had to continously film for 12 minutes yet though..we'll see.

sl888
06-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

No no no the 7D>D300s :D
Video clips are limited to 12min but I don't think most videographers shoot scenes longer than that. I've read that some have filmed over an hour while connected to a laptop with no overheating issue

Mitsu3000gt
06-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by sl888

No no no the 7D>D300s :D
Video clips are limited to 12min but I don't think most videographers shoot scenes longer than that. I've read that some have filmed over an hour while connected to a laptop with no overheating issue

Yeah if you were filming a movie or something, 12 min would be fine, but weddings, sports, etc. could all easily require filming for more than 12min without breaks. I'm quite surprised on a camera of that caliber and with Canon's extensive experience making video equipment to see a limit at all, other than CF card size. If they couldn't implement video mode without even possible overheating, they should maybe have left it out until it could be perfected or put a shorter time limit on it.

I know the Nikon cameras are limited to 5min in HD, but I have no idea if heat is the reason. I am hoping the next wave of them to be full 1080p limited only by card size, unless heat is a big issue for all DSLR's with video mode.

ZorroAMG
06-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Yeah continuous shooting, the overheat issue would suck. I am thinking of picking up the 7D for some indie films etc and there is RARELY a 12 minute continuous master on film or in tv so I don't think it would be much of an issue.