PDA

View Full Version : Painting Ikea furniture??

nissanK
05-25-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm picking up a used TV stand on Kijiji but the colors don't match our other furniture. TV stand is white, all our stuff is black.

How hard is it to paint over that laminated Ikea finish? I was thinking a light sanding and one coat of primer should be good enough.:dunno:

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

masoncgy
05-25-2010, 02:30 PM
It's easy enough to paint anything... but one question for you...

Is it a smooth laminate finish or is it that faux wood grain stuff? Smooth finish you'll want to use a high density/quality foam roller so that the paint lays down flat on it... if there is a lot of grain, you can use a brush to get a nice finish.

Either way, with a light sand, a coat of primer & two coats of paint and you're good to go.

Don't use anything less than a satin finish on it either, so you still can wash it without damaging the new paint job.

Use quality brushes & paint too... otherwise it just looks like crap when it's done. :)

nissanK
05-25-2010, 02:35 PM
It looks like the faux wood grain stuff.

I was actually thinking of just using some spray paint to paint it.:nut: I'm not looking for a super pro job, just to match the colors. (sorry for not mentioning earlier)

cdnsir
05-25-2010, 03:13 PM
I sprayed an old Lack shelf from birch veneer to black once. Wasn't too hard. Wiped it down with dish soap to get the oils off, rinse and dried. After that, I did about 3 coats of flat black. Then sealed it with a satin urethane spray (I think 2 coats here).

Looks kinda crappy up close cuz I'm not really good with the can, and I end up overlapping and stuff. But it looks ok from far, and it doesn't peel or scratches so it's not that bad.

To me, it's not exactly living room worthy, but totally passable as basement furniture.

Kloubek
05-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Be careful with the sand. Ikea uses a lot of "foil" finishes - which wear down to a different texture very quickly.