PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Map 1969 and Now

Tik-Tok
05-25-2010, 02:40 PM
While stripping the interior out of my wife's '72 GTO a couple of years back, I found a map from 1969 buried under the seats, it's pretty interesting to see the differences. Here's the map scanned, the basic residential areas overlayed on a 2010 map, and the scanned map file if you want to peruse the map (just right click saving the JPG doesn't keep the street names very clear)

Population 1969: 370,000
Population 2010: 988,000

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yrm1izmmmn0/Calgary 1969 copy.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/Calgary1969copy.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/1969and2010.jpg

stealth1313
05-25-2010, 02:42 PM
:dunno:

masoncgy
05-25-2010, 02:44 PM
I've always found it interesting that the first full interchange in Calgary at 16 Ave & Barlow Tr NE was a properly built clover leaf... and yet, how many interchanges have been built since that are total clusterfucks?

lol... cool find!

bspot
05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
I've always found it interesting that the first full interchange in Calgary was at 16 Ave & Barlow Tr NE was a properly built clover leaf... and yet, how many interchanges have been built since that are total clusterfucks?

lol... cool find!

Clover leafs suck. One of the most inefficient traffic interchange designs. They are almost never used anymore for this reason.

JfuckinC
05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by stealth1313

Fuck you. You're post's are shit.

That's pretty cool comparison though. I wish there was just a ton of archived shit to see what the old Calgary was like.

Tik-Tok
05-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

That's pretty cool comparison though. I wish there was just a ton of archived shit to see what the old Calgary was like.

Yeah, it's neat to see old photo's too. One of my wife's co-workers was a kid when my neighborhood was built, and has some photo's of the area before anything was even put up, and during the neighborhood development. Pretty cool stuff to see.

Gibson
05-25-2010, 02:50 PM
lol @ 14th street suddenly ending.

civicmang
05-25-2010, 02:55 PM
whats with the brown stain in the middle of the map?

Tik-Tok
05-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by civicmang
whats with the brown stain in the middle of the map?

Waterstain... it had been sitting under the seat for 38 years. Not going to be immaculate.

TomcoPDR
05-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Anyone know what the shooting statistics were in the NE during that era?

masoncgy
05-25-2010, 03:00 PM
^^^ It's been tucked inside of a car's interior for almost 40 years... lol...

civicmang
05-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
^^^ It's been tucked inside of a car's interior for almost 40 years... lol...

makes sence.

e31
05-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Proof that all Calgary city planners since the 60's have been sitting idle collecting a paycheck.

civicmang
05-25-2010, 03:08 PM
btw since when was bowness in the sw?????? did they move the community?

masoncgy
05-25-2010, 03:11 PM
^ lol... it's just an insert on the map...

Cos
05-25-2010, 03:14 PM

:rofl:

Kloubek
05-25-2010, 03:18 PM
That's pretty cool; back when Forest Lawn was probably a sought-after new community! lol

spikerS
05-25-2010, 03:19 PM

I hope you have a GPS unit with you at all times and never have to manually read a map.

civicmang
05-25-2010, 03:28 PM
my wife showfers me around. i dont drive.

spikerS
05-25-2010, 03:31 PM

How did that hooked on phonics work out for you btw?

civicmang
05-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by spikers

How did that hooked on phonics work out for you btw?

did grandpa charnock suck ur penis when u were growin up???

hampstor
05-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Things I noticed from looking at it briefly:

- The entire "NE" area as we know it now consistented only of the vista heights, mayland heights, airport and Forest Lawn (which is actually SE..). No sunridge/marlborough/abbydale/whitehorn/rundle etc.
- Memorial drive ends around where the zoo is ?
- no deerfoot! :D

In any event - really cool find and thanks for posting it!

You should get her to spell for you too...

Cos
05-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
Things I noticed from looking at it briefly:

- The entire "NE" area as we know it now consistented only of the vista heights, mayland heights, airport and Forest Lawn (which is actually SE..). No sunridge/marlborough/abbydale/whitehorn/rundle etc.
- Memorial drive ends around where the zoo is ?
- no deerfoot! :D

In any event - really cool find and thanks for posting it!

You should get her to spell for you too...

From what I remember my grandparents telling me, 9th ave (through inglewood) used to be the main road into downtown until they extended memorial past St. Georges drive. Memorial was just a back road from edmonton trail to st. georges.

spikerS
05-25-2010, 03:43 PM

did grandpa charnock suck ur penis when u were growin up???

Aww, you got smacked with the ban stick.

No more fun to be had... :cry:

calgarydub
05-25-2010, 03:43 PM
It's really too bad that pesky world war came about.

Calgary could have been a little bit better...

Thomas Mawson had big plans. If you are interested take a few minutes to read about what he had in store for us.

http://www.avenuecalgary.com/articles/page/item/futures-past

http://caa.ucalgary.ca/mawsonreportfull

http://caa.ucalgary.ca/mawson

http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=77ab7b3a-2819-443d-abb3-db9dba5b9bad&p=1

I know its a wikipedia but whatever

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hayton_Mawson

http://www.avenuecalgary.com/files/x_A-MY-08-MawsonFLAT2.png

Thomas Mawson's plans for downtown Calgary aimed to make the city into a world-class destination similar to Paris or Vienna.

hampstor
05-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Cos

From what I remember my grandparents telling me, 9th ave (through inglewood) used to be the main road into downtown until they extended memorial past St. Georges drive. Memorial was just a back road from edmonton trail to st. georges.

Thanks for the info - maps always interest me. Especially when it's maps like this where you can see how much things have changed in the last 30-40 years!

My parents still live in the forest lawn area, I remember talking to one of their neighbors once (who bought his house new) and he was telling me that he can remember when everything on the other side of 36th Street was nothing but farmland.

spikerS
05-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

Thanks for the info - maps always interest me. Especially when it's maps like this where you can see how much things have changed in the last 30-40 years!

My parents still live in the forest lawn area, I remember talking to one of their neighbors once (who bought his house new) and he was telling me that he can remember when everything on the other side of 36th Street was nothing but farmland.

same here. when i was younger i used to make transparencies of maps, and overlay them to see the differences.

I moved to the Calgary area in May of 1980. there was nothing west of Nosehill drive, and ranchlands was new, and hawkwood was just being developed. The safeway was there, but it was called "food for less".

scat330
05-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Really cool and thanks for sharing.

Dang we grew almost twice our size.

eglove
05-25-2010, 04:18 PM
that is very very cool

psycoticclown
05-25-2010, 04:21 PM

Why are you even posting here... Your post is infinitely more useless than the original post.

Anyways, crazy how much the city has changed. Basically my community (Edgemont) and all the communities around it weren't even around.

max_boost
05-25-2010, 04:52 PM

Free bubble tea to a moderator who bans this mofo :rofl:

spikerS
05-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

x2

RY213
05-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Very cool thanks for posting. My grandparents used to tell me that Midnapore was actually a small town outside of Calgary, same with Forest Lawn and Bowness. Also notice that Crowchild Tr in the SW is basically non-existent? I remember when they turned it into a freeway in the early 80's. I wish there were more archival pics like this available on the internet. It would be cool to see things like Chinook and South Center malls in the 80's etc...

Hakkola
05-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
That's pretty cool; back when Forest Lawn was probably a sought-after new community! lol

Actually it was, my parents lived there ~30 years ago, they say it was pretty nice at the time.

TomcoPDR
05-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Actually it was, my parents lived there ~30 years ago, they say it was pretty nice at the time.

What happened?

Tik-Tok
05-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

What happened?

Originally posted by Hakkola

my parents lived there

hampstor
05-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

flawless :rofl:

stealth1313
05-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

I was just kidding, read my other posts they are more then useful. Plus i support your restaraunt

HondaKid
05-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Proof we are a virus. Tuck another map under your cars rear seat for 2050?

adam c
05-25-2010, 10:16 PM

i wouldn't consider it a new community since it was it's own town before calgary grew and annexed it

Redwagon
05-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Since there was no NE does that mean that there was no crime in Calgary back then? :rofl:

stealth1313
05-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Redwagon
Since there was no NE does that mean that there was no crime in Calgary back then? :rofl: There wad always a north east no matter where you are in what city or hood, it just expands larger as it grows and the population expands

inline6turbo
05-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by scat330
Really cool and thanks for sharing.

Dang we grew almost twice our size.

The population nearly tripled actually. Land mass surely doubled and then some.

Very cool to see!

sheik_yerbouti
05-26-2010, 01:01 AM
It seems that some of you are interested in this stuff. I would recommend checking out the Glenbow photo archives. You can order some pretty cool shots. I've seen these in some building laminated and blow up and such. If you search for 'Calgary & Map' you get some cool stuff.

http://ww2.glenbow.org/search/archivesPhotosSearch.aspx

mr2mike
05-26-2010, 01:33 AM
Here's one I found in a family photo book. Look at how small downtown is.
Not sure on the year but my guess is late 70s?
http://imgur.com/s5jNA.jpg

Closest pic I could find online of a current picture.
http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/cms_images/navres_images/units/calgary.jpg

What a difference.

DeeK
05-26-2010, 02:31 AM
Considering that Forest Lawn, Bowness, and Inglewood were all seperate towns back then I highly doubt Forest Lawn was a new community. The 3 cities grew together and merged into Calgary. This is at least what I've been told by some elders in the community a while back. But after reading some of the comments in this thread seems to make sense, along with Midnapore as well being it's own town.

cancer man
05-26-2010, 05:12 AM
My father still has pictures of downtown Inglewood with wooden side walks.
The Stampede was the cats ass back then and 5 cents for a glass of beer including the mug.

I'll have to find some of those pics and scan them.
His first knew car was a 56 rambler cost him like 1200 bucks.
Wages for a trades person .75 per hour.

frinkprof
05-26-2010, 05:35 AM
Try this one on for size - plan of the town of Calgary 1891, WARNING: it's huge if you click the link and blow it up:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7237/calgarystreetnamescd2.th.gif (http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7237/calgarystreetnamescd2.gif)

Some notes:

1. The title block in the bottom right mentions that it was compiled by Messrs Jephson & Wheeler D.L. Surveys. The "D.L." stands for Dominion Lands, as in they were Dominion Land Surveyors. There are no more Dominion Land Surveyors. Since it was done in 1891, this predates the existence of Alberta Land Surveyors, since Alberta wasn't a province until 1905. I'm 90% sure that the "Wheeler" in question is this guy (http://www.landsurveyinghistory.ab.ca/Characters/Wheeler_AO.htm). A.O. Wheeler was quite a historic figure in the Canadian surveying field. He is credited with naming lots of mountains in the rockies, as well as being a pioneer in photogrammetry.

2. The streets now named 14th Street West (First Street on the map), 4th Street West (Ross Road on the map), and 6th Street East are shown on the map as "government road allowances." The north/south running road allowances (range roads) are generally one mile apart. Also, the street directly east of the one labelled "Fourth Av." on the eastern side of the map, is also a G.R.A., and is now 15th Street East.

Not shown on the map is the next north/south Road allowance directly east of this one, which is actually the 5th meridian, which today's Barlow Trail follows in its straight portion. Also, there is actually Meridian Road in the northeast which picks up from Barlow where it deviates a bit from the actual meridian. This meridian is at exactly 114 degrees longitude west of Greenwich, England, or the prime meridian. The 4th meridian defines the Alberta/Saskatchewan border. The 1st meridian is just west of Winnipeg, where the Dominion Land Surveying system began.

Other north/south road allowances in Calgary are 37th, 53rd (Sarcee), 69th, 85th, and 101st Streets West; 36th, 52nd, and 84th Streets East.

Part of the new city limits in the east are at Range Road 284 (likely future 116 Street East).

3. 17th Ave. (Notre Dame Street on the map) is noted as an east/west Government Road Allowance. This is the only one shown on the map, since the next one to the south is now 50th Ave. South, and the next one to the north is 16th Ave. North. Road allowances that run east/west (township roads) are generally every two miles.

Other east/west road allowances in Calgary are McKnight Blvd. (48th Ave. North), 80th Ave. North, and the eastern portion of Country Hills Blvd. together with 112th Ave. in the Northwest. In the South, Heritage Drive together with Glenmore Trail east of Deerfoot, Anderson Road together with 114th Ave., 146th Ave/James McKevitt Road, and 22X.

The city limits in the north are at Township Road 262 (likely future 176th Ave. North).

frinkprof
05-26-2010, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by DeeK

Considering that Forest Lawn, Bowness, and Inglewood were all seperate towns back then I highly doubt Forest Lawn was a new community. The 3 cities grew together and merged into Calgary. This is at least what I've been told by some elders in the community a while back. But after reading some of the comments in this thread seems to make sense, along with Midnapore as well being it's own town. Inglewood was never a separate town/village. In fact, it is the oldest neighbourhood in the city and the birthplace of Calgary, being at the confluence of the Elbow and Bow rivers. It was Calgary's original "downtown."

Communities that were their own separate towns/villages at one time:

-Crescent Heights was a separate village from 1908 until 1911

-Bowness was a separate town until 1963, and had its own streetcar line starting in 1911

-Forest Lawn was its own town until 1961

-Montgomery was separate village/town from 1911 until 1963

-Midnapore was its own town until 1961, it had its own CP Rail train station (which inspired the design of the Fish Creek - Lacombe LRT station built in 2001)

-Beddington was never a town of its own, but is named after a CP Rail train station that existed there long before it became an established residential community of Calgary in 1979

-Shepard is the newest addition, amalgamated in 2007. It had its own CP Rail train station in 1884.

Next on the list: Chestermere? De Winton? Janet? Conrich (where CN Rail will be building their new railyard)? Balzac? Actually the southern half of the Balzac townsite is now City of Calgary as of 2007.

Here's some pics:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/69_Calgary.jpg

7th Ave. South under construction for LRT in 1978, with notes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buglugs/103693652/

Tik-Tok
05-26-2010, 07:00 AM
^^^

The Calgary tower, when it actually towered over the city :thumbsup: Imagine what it would be like if it were that high off the next tallest building now? :nut:

Cos
05-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Here's one I found in a family photo book. Look at how small downtown is.
Not sure on the year but my guess is late 70s?
http://imgur.com/s5jNA.jpg

Closest pic I could find online of a current picture.

What a difference.

I dont know the exact date but it has to be a lot later than that because the husky tower (calgary tower) and petro-canada center were built in the late 80's as far as I know

frinkprof
05-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Cos

I dont know the exact date but it has to be a lot later than that because the husky tower (calgary tower) and petro-canada center were built in the late 80's as far as I know Late 70s seems about right.

Calgary Tower was completed in 1968, Petro-Canada Centre (now Suncor Energy Centre) was completed in 1984, and it is not in the above picture.

Scotia Centre is in the picture though, and it was completed in 1976.

Cos
05-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by frinkprof
Late 70s seems about right.

Calgary Tower was completed in 1968, Petro-Canada Centre (now Suncor Energy Centre) was completed in 1984, and it is not in the above picture.

Scotia Centre is in the picture though, and it was completed in 1976.

hmm my bad I thought that the husky tower was built at the same time as petro center and that is why the tower is a little taller than originally planned. Who knows I wasnt really into city planning back then.....

sexualbanana
05-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Inglewood was never a separate town/village. In fact, it is the oldest neighbourhood in the city and the birthplace of Calgary, being at the confluence of the Elbow and Bow rivers. It was Calgary's original "downtown."

Communities that were their own separate towns/villages at one time:

-Crescent Heights was a separate village from 1908 until 1911

-Bowness was a separate town until 1963, and had its own streetcar line starting in 1911

-Forest Lawn was its own town until 1961

-Montgomery was separate village/town from 1911 until 1963

-Midnapore was its own town until 1961, it had its own CP Rail train station (which inspired the design of the Fish Creek - Lacombe LRT station built in 2001)

-Beddington was never a town of its own, but is named after a CP Rail train station that existed there long before it became an established residential community of Calgary in 1979

-Shepard is the newest addition, amalgamated in 2007. It had its own CP Rail train station in 1884.

Next on the list: Chestermere? De Winton? Janet? Conrich (where CN Rail will be building their new railyard)? Balzac? Actually the southern half of the Balzac townsite is now City of Calgary as of 2007.

Here's some pics:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/69_Calgary.jpg

7th Ave. South under construction for LRT in 1978, with notes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buglugs/103693652/

I think Ogden gets counted in there, but I have no idea when

frinkprof
05-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

I think Ogden gets counted in there, but I have no idea when Yeah I thought so too. Couldn't find anything in a brief search though. It would have been fairly early on, like Crescent Heights.

Tik-Tok
05-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Yeah I thought so too. Couldn't find anything in a brief search though. It would have been fairly early on, like Crescent Heights.

I don't think it was ever incorporated as a separate town or village, before Calgary swallowed it.

Kloubek
05-26-2010, 09:13 AM
That's a GREAT shot from '69!

Yeah, I didn't realize Forest Lawn used to be it's own town.

Very cool to see before and afters....

mr2mike
05-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Yes, I agree Ogden was a seperate town. My grandpa told me this, he worked for the CP Rail his whole life. Back then the Shamrock was the place to go for drinks after work and it was a great place.

Good sleuthing frinkprof! For some reason I had Husky tower in my head as built in 1972. But I put no faith in that.

Another story I heard was in building the Husky Tower, there was debris dropping all the time, hitting car windshields. If you wanted a new windshield paid for by Husky, you'd just say you were parked downtown.

I also believe Montgomery area or just West of it along the bow was called Brickburn. There's still a sign along the Railtracks showing this.

It was all farmer's fields between Montgomery and Calgary and you didn't hit the city till you got to Hillhurst and that was just a few houses, not like it was today. But back then traveling there was a good hour, from the stories my grandpa told me.

Kloubek
05-26-2010, 09:35 AM
This has really got me goin now! (I think I'm bored at work.)

Here's a shot from late 1940's.... estimated 1948-1949:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/92/220304029_b5561996b2.jpg

mr2mike
05-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Oh and people were wondering what the bad areas were over the years? From what I heard, the Mission / Earlton area was "seedy" as my grandpa told me.
I also recall him saying something about Riverbend as it was lower income housing (not sure on year).

Yes the Stampede was the big attraction and EVERYONE went. It wasn't the advertisement area it is now.

I did see an article on Chinook Center. It was either in Avenue Magazine or else Swerve Magazine, which comes with the herald. It had some great pictures in it.
Got some good stories from my dad on it. It used to be a farm field then they had a drive in theater there. Originally it was a single block and they bought on the other side of the road and expanded it.

Cos
05-26-2010, 10:36 AM

That is sick!

Oh and people were wondering what the bad areas were over the years? From what I heard, the Mission / Earlton area was "seedy" as my grandpa told me.
I also recall him saying something about Riverbend as it was lower income housing (not sure on year).

Yes the Stampede was the big attraction and EVERYONE went. It wasn't the advertisement area it is now.

I did see an article on Chinook Center. It was either in Avenue Magazine or else Swerve Magazine, which comes with the herald. It had some great pictures in it.
Got some good stories from my dad on it. It used to be a farm field then they had a drive in theater there. Originally it was a single block and they bought on the other side of the road and expanded it.

My grandparents live in Rosedale and when they bought their house in the late 50's I guess it was a bit of a ghetto. People couldnt understand why you would want to live there.

Fast forward to late 90's and the neighbours house got demo'd and an infill went in that Iggy ended up living in.

I wonder where my neighborhood is going. :rofl:

frinkprof
05-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Cos

That is sick!

My grandparents live in Rosedale and when they bought their house in the late 50's I guess it was a bit of a ghetto. People couldnt understand why you would want to live there.

Fast forward to late 90's and the neighbours house got demo'd and an infill went in that Iggy ended up living in.

I wonder where my neighborhood is going. :rofl: Things kind of go in cycles like that. Eventually Forest Lawn, Radisson, Dover, Marlborough, etc. will start to clean up, then the older houses will get torn down one by one or two by two and it will get rebuilt over time. In many ways it has already seen some changes. During the last boom it was a cheap area for new families to get a house when many other areas became unaffordable, and it still is, so a lot of newer families will move there I think.

I think the future downtrodden area will be the far north. Lots of cheaper "starter" homes with not the best craftsmanship. The west hill and northwest areas don't have much more to grow before they start to run into acerages which will slow the growth a lot, and they will always be among the more desireable areas of the city. The southeast, deep south, and far north areas will continue to grow like weeds.

bspot
05-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Very cool on that old map to see St. Patrick/Andrew/George's islands separate. Any idea why/when the city filled them in to make it one big island?

sexualbanana
05-26-2010, 03:18 PM

The Chapters in Chinook (my guess is other Chapters as well) has a phenomenal book about the history of Chinook Centre.

ricosuave
05-26-2010, 06:16 PM
well cool! thanks for sharing it!

Nav13
05-26-2010, 09:13 PM
I love this kind of stuff, for some odd reason when ever I see an old raggedy building I have this desire to know its history and what it looked like when it was first built, not the same thing as this, but still thanks for posting this since this is equally interesting to me.

frinkprof
05-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Nav13
I love this kind of stuff, for some odd reason when ever I see an old raggedy building I have this desire to know its history and what it looked like when it was first built, not the same thing as this, but still thanks for posting this since this is equally interesting to me. You may be interested in checking out the Calgary Heritage Initiative website: http://www.calgaryheritage.org/

The forums are fairly slow activity-wise, but the guys there know a lot about this sort of stuff. Lots of cool pictures and other information there too.

Cos
05-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Just reading this thread. I have many many friends who are not interested in this stuff and I have also found most of those people are not interested in traveling to an area for the history.

I have a list of places to go and 99% of them are historical (lots in europe, china, south america, etc.) I was like a kid in a candy store in England.

My question is, for you guys who are saying you are really into this, do you really like to travel and learn a lot of this stuff?

hampstor
05-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Just reading this thread. I have many many friends who are not interested in this stuff and I have also found most of those people are not interested in traveling to an area for the history.

I have a list of places to go and 99% of them are historical (lots in europe, china, south america, etc.) I was like a kid in a candy store in England.

My question is, for you guys who are saying you are really into this, do you really like to travel and learn a lot of this stuff?

A bit off topic I guess but good discussion regardless.

I'm more interested in history that is more directly related to me (ie: things like the vietnam war are of interest to me). History of an area is generally not why I travel tho. If there's something really significant about that area then yeah, i'll definately stop and check it out (ie: checking out the old mill in Little Rock, or checking out Craigellachie, Hells Gate). On our last BC trip, we made so many stops at places like that.

As i've gotten older, i've forgotten/missed some stuff. With my son, I get to re-discover it all thru his eyes. I'm looking forward to doing the 'tourist/historic' things around here like going to Heritage Park/Royal Tyrell Museum/glenbow museum/cowboy trail etc.

I would rather travel Canada right now than anywhere else. It's "our backyard" and I believe I should get to know it better.

a social dsease
05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
wow that map was really cool, crazy to see how much the city has grown. What'll be even more interesting is how it looks in another 40 yrs. Probbably expanded to cochrane/airdire/chestermere/okotoks

sexualbanana
05-27-2010, 11:26 AM

Chinatown looks cool. Kinda wish it stayed like that.

dino_martini
05-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Thats pretty neat, thank you for posting.

My area was basically the outskirts of Calgary. Much has changed in 41 years...

Horatio
05-27-2010, 04:39 PM
not much to contribute here but to mention that there's a really cool aerial photo of Calgary at the entrance to the Calgary Farmer's Market (for those who are interested in that stuff). Can't recall the year offhand but 1962 comes to mind.

Good thread

for the 1969 map - my neighborhood is on there but not my street; very cool!

Nav13
05-28-2010, 12:00 AM
You may be interested in checking out the Calgary Heritage Initiative website: http://www.calgaryheritage.org/

The forums are fairly slow activity-wise, but the guys there know a lot about this sort of stuff. Lots of cool pictures and other information there too.

Thanks for the link, I am sure I will spend a lot of time at that site.

KKY
05-28-2010, 01:30 PM
There is a free photo exhibit in the Jamieson Place building downtown right now on Chinese Canadian history in Calgary. Some cool pictures of old chinatown if anyone is interested. I think it goes till the end of the month.

Proboscis
05-28-2010, 07:33 PM
What happened to the Gun Club?