PDA

View Full Version : House painting

be_y_ou
05-25-2010, 05:17 PM
We are painting out house or planning to do so. The outside is white stucko and im curious if anyone has painted their own house or does it for a living. we were quoted 4500 dollars and it blew my mind. any help would be appreciated.
Thnx-

InRich
05-25-2010, 07:32 PM
lol... I do it for a living... buuut if your blown away by 4500 bucks you'll probably just waste my time anyway. most of my houses are 7 - 11k.

college pro painters is cheap if thats all thats important to you. just remember, cheap is not good, and good is not cheap.

or if you want to do it yourself, I can purchase the paint for you at cost.

be_y_ou
05-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by InRich
lol... I do it for a living... buuut if your blown away by 4500 bucks you'll probably just waste my time anyway. most of my houses are 7 - 11k.

college pro painters is cheap if thats all thats important to you. just remember, cheap is not good, and good is not cheap.

or if you want to do it yourself, I can purchase the paint for you at cost.

i never imagined paint could be so expensive. why do you charge so much? it there some special process??

TomcoPDR
05-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Painting involves a lot of labour, preping, and IMO to do it right you need to primer and sand (not just "paint over")

Anyways, InRich is a professional, guess we'll wait for his answer. I just paint for recreational purposes like DIY for shits and giggles.

be_y_ou
05-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Painting involves a lot of labour, preping, and IMO to do it right you need to primer and sand (not just "paint over")

Anyways, InRich is a professional, guess we'll wait for his answer. I just paint for recreational purposes like DIY for shits and giggles.

That is a good point. i suppose its along struggle not exactly painting a model i suppose. but how can you sand and prep stucko? haha

Alterac
05-26-2010, 03:40 PM
I think he was reffering to wood :D.

I have a cedar house, and I re-stained it myself, me and 4 buddies took about 4 days to do it via Brush :D hah.

Cost 700 in stain, plus a couple friends.. :P

Gart
05-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Alterac
I think he was reffering to wood :D.

I have a cedar house, and I re-stained it myself, me and 4 buddies took about 4 days to do it via Brush :D hah.

Cost 700 in stain, plus a couple friends.. :P

Pfft, I'm still your friend.

Just.. less of one now. :P

to the OP: my parents' house was ~6k'ish? outside. ~4k partial inside.

lint
05-26-2010, 04:41 PM

You're gonna sand the stucco?

garnet
05-26-2010, 09:29 PM
you won't sand stuco to re-paint, it needs to be cleaned well (power washed, but on low pressure setting so not to damage, can use a masonry detergent), then we go around to remove any loose material & do repairs, last is to use a good primer, like an acrylic masonry primer
the problem with an older stucco finish house, is getting the new paint and primer to adhere properly, also it tends to absorb a lot of paint at first, being somewhat porous, so in that case the extra time spent is definitely in the prep

Originally posted by be_y_ou

That is a good point. i suppose its along struggle not exactly painting a model i suppose. but how can you sand and prep stucko? haha

InRich
05-27-2010, 12:27 AM
your priming stucco? mmmmk, so how's it supposed to breath afterwards? :rolleyes:

OP.. dude just do it yourself if your on a tight budget. rent a good powerwasher, rinse your home REALLY well, and spray the paint on... I can buy the paint for you at cost if you want and you'll save a ton of money, plus get a premium paint for alot less than you'd pay for Behr shit.

the reason i'm so expensive is because like someone said above, the prep time. every house I see, done by other DIY'ers or even professional paint companies is just horrid. Either its under sprayed, over sprayed, not prep'ed right, peeling, flaking, cut improperly, or the application isn't consistant or just horrid jobs overall. Last year we did 313 houses in Calgary and area for a reason... it isn't easy to get professional results. Painting PROPERLY is just as hard as any other trade, it requires a ton of time to learn properly. years.

Pm if you want the paint. Check out the cloverdale website... I recommend 100% acrylic latex or elastomeric.

TomcoPDR
05-27-2010, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by lint

You're gonna sand the stucco?

That's why I'm not a painting expert ;)

garnet
05-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by InRich your priming stucco? mmmmk, so how's it supposed to breath afterwards? :rolleyes:

reading 101 ^ "acrylic masonry primer" FYI its designed for just exactly that, to bond well & breath :facepalm:

Originally posted by inRich I recommend 100% acrylic latex or elastomeric

a straight elastomeric is a heavy top coat, and does not breath :facepalm: :facepalm:

but it will fill small cracks or gaps, and usually bonds well, so why many painters use it straight

OP - especially in calgary, to make the finish last, clean well, prep well, then use a primer designed for the job, like an acrylic masonry primer coat for first coat, or first coat of 100% acrylic with an additive like emulsa-bond, to make sure you get the best adhesion

been there, done that ;)

save $ as InRich or myself can get you a best discount at cloverdale

garnet
05-27-2010, 01:39 AM

That's why I'm not a painting expert ;)

or you have a lot of spare time on your hands :rofl:

actually got asked that by one homeowner once, was that old sand and glass stucco finish, can you imagine someone doing that :banghead:
i refered him to a friend that runs a siding business :D

InRich
05-27-2010, 01:35 PM
What company you with garnet?

masoncgy
05-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by InRich
Painting PROPERLY is just as hard as any other trade, it requires a ton of time to learn properly. years.

Absolutely 100% true. I've been painting for over 10+ years and I'm always learning something new.

Painting is one of those things that people incorrectly assume is easy, but it's not.

It takes nothing to grab a dollar store brush & a bucket of wal-mart paint and go to town... but it comes out looking like crap, and falls off after a good rain shower...

I get annoyed with some people... who get all cranky because it costs more than $100 to properly repaint a living room... or bathroom... or kitchen... etc, etc, etc.

If it's so easy, as these people assume it is, why don't they just do it themselves? ;)

GTi-RS
05-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Hey InRich, what do you suggest I use for my Cedar siding as for solid stain?

The cedar is still in good shape and very little wood showing through the old stain.

Should I power wash it first?

be_y_ou
05-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks Everyone for the info it helped tons!! Also i learned well.. by the sounds of things painting is a little more complicated than i had expected lol Inrich and Garnet I just might pm and take you up on the offer for the cost paint it could help tons. Its still up in the air whether or not its being done this year or next but again the responses were more than helpful!