PDA

View Full Version : new at BBQ'ing...Any tips? Good recipes?

ekguy
05-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Tonight it became clear I can BBQ, but definitely nowhere near how well I can cook by other means...

Made smokeys they ended up being slightly burnt and I just feel like I didn't cook at right temperature/time.

Other stuff was fine.

But any tips for those new at this.

Such as the proper way to cook a proper smokey on the BBQ, any other tips or suggestions on what is good would be great. I'm sure others would benefit from good BBQ'ing advice.

dj_rice
05-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Seriously??I don't think you can be THAT newb about BBQing.

How hard can cooking a smokie/ hot dog on a BBQ?

Throw it on the grill, watch it, if flames are thrusting up like the fiery hands of god then flip on other side or put onto a cooler area.

And sorry if I'm being over critical but your question makes me LOL, its sorta like how do you boil water properly

ekguy
05-25-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm not used to BBQ'ing. And I like my food to be perfect not done all half assed like I did it tonight haha.

Now that I re-read that yes it is a dumb question...But at the same time people could have just replied with how they make the perfect smokey on the bbq.

Everyone I'm sure as their own trick to cooking great food on a grill.

ekguy
05-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Oh and there never is shooting flames on our grill, my brother in law bought a big ass weber which seems to have some pretty uniform heat, but no big bbq like flames everywhere haha.

[Yu]
05-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Smokies are usually precooked are they not? If you want to grill it, I suggest high heat just so you can get the char marks for a bit of flavor, and turn it down to a lower heat to let it cook through.

Also, not to nit-pick, but what you are describing is Grilling, not BBQing.

Many people assume BBQing means firing up the old charcoal or propane grill (For example, I think one beyond member here cooked that amazing pork shoulder, that is bbqin.)

Unknown303
05-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by [Yu]
Smokies are usually precooked are they not? If you want to grill it, I suggest high heat just so you can get the char marks for a bit of flavor, and turn it down to a lower heat to let it cook through.

Many people assume BBQing means firing up the old charcoal or propane grill (For example, I think one beyond member here cooked that amazing pork shoulder, that is bbqin.)

99% of the time smokies are pre-cooked. But for smokies and crap like that my rule and it can be a little time consuming is a minute between rotations. You start to brown and cook lines into the outside but it never sits long enough to burn to much.

nonlinear
05-25-2010, 09:00 PM

blah blah blah blah blah

semantics.

most of you don't know the first thing about what you call "bbq." sure, you might watch some food network TV shows, or maybe do some reading on the internet, but the vast majority doesn't knows or understand the culture because it DOESN'T EXIST in canada. so stop acting like the grammar police already, and let the guy call it BBQ if he wants to. you're not any more knowledgeable than OP, just because you read online somewhere that BBQing refers to slow cooking/smoking/low temps/whatever.

nonlinear
05-25-2010, 09:02 PM
http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2007/07/06/IP0203_Neely_BBQ_Spaghetti_lg.jpg

dj_rice
05-25-2010, 09:24 PM
^^

You made that using a BBQ? Man, the BBQ can be so versatile :rofl: I'm gonna try to bake a cake

msommers
05-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Not a whole lot should be cooked on really high temperature expect for steaks or searing roasts.

Smokies take awhile for me because I keep it on fairly low temp and slow cook it for awhile.

Fish is fairly easy. Can be on a cedar plank (soak for 24hrs first) which is typically salmon or in tin foil with the fold on the top middle.

There was a black guy on the food network that was all about BBQing. I swear to God everything he made looked fucking DELIC! See if you can find that. You might get discouraged as not all of us want to marinade our chicken for 2 weeks LOL.

[Yu]
05-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

blah blah blah blah blah

semantics.

most of you don't know the first thing about what you call "bbq." sure, you might watch some food network TV shows, or maybe do some reading on the internet, but the vast majority doesn't knows or understand the culture because it DOESN'T EXIST in canada. so stop acting like the grammar police already, and let the guy call it BBQ if he wants to. you're not any more knowledgeable than OP, just because you read online somewhere that BBQing refers to slow cooking/smoking/low temps/whatever.

Lulz, Strong BBQ rage by nonlinear. But yes I do agree, just saying Brah.

nonlinear
05-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
^^

You made that using a BBQ? Man, the BBQ can be so versatile :rofl: I'm gonna try to bake a cake

hahahha, no i didn't make it. it's just some random pic of bbq spaghetti.... which isn't cooked on a grill or bbq or over coals or wood or fire or anything. but it's as bbq as it gets... i was just trying to make a point to the self-appointed grammar police :rofl:

Lulz, Strong BBQ rage by nonlinear. But yes I do agree, just saying Brah.

no worries, i just flip out like that sometimes. heh :D

dino_martini
05-27-2010, 12:00 AM
I want to get a grill, but frankly my dad made some steaks over a fire of cedar...so good man. Nothing will ever taste that good.

Unknown303
05-27-2010, 06:48 AM
I need a new grill. Did homemade chicken fingers on it last night. Night before was salmon and corn on the cobb.

r3ccOs
05-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Grilling/BBQ same but different right?

I don't care, I call it Q'ing as whenever I can I always cook indirectly to the desired "doneness" regardless of the meat

I sear first over the coals, and then finish indrectly, for pretty much everything, including vegetables and fruit.

Oh & I throw a few wood chips in pretty much every pile of coal I light :)

ExtraSlow
05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
cedar plank salmon = win.
Buy cedar fence boards from the cedar shop, cut to length, soak for 24 + hours. season lightly with salt/pepper/lemon etc.
Cook on medium/high for about 15 minutes.
nom.

r3ccOs
05-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Cedar Smoke anything seafood & its really quite good, so is alder and fruit smoke (fruit tree's I mean)

People don't know what they're missing

Oh & by the "indirect" method of q'ing, its usually not possible with most gas grills, as they just don't circulate the heat internally well enough, compared to a Weber Kettle

Crymson
05-27-2010, 02:22 PM
If you're just starting, pick up a good digital meat thermometre (15-20$).

Best investment you'll ever make.

Anything thicker than an inch will be delicious and perfect without having been sliced to death to "check the done-ness"

It's also super handy when you can toss a roast on there, set it on low, and have the thermometer start beeping when it gets close to temp so you can just have beers in the backyard and forget about it and dont have to suffer through grey, well done roast beef.

bspot
05-27-2010, 02:22 PM
The perfect medium rare steak:

Crank your grill up to max, and let it heat all the way up.

Throw your steak on, close the lid.

Wait 2 minutes, flip.

Wait 2 minutes, turn off the head and throw it on the top rack.

Let it sit ~5minutes lid down, heat off.

Perfect steak :nut: :love:

r3ccOs
05-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
If you're just starting, pick up a good digital meat thermometre (15-20$).

Best investment you'll ever make.

Anything thicker than an inch will be delicious and perfect without having been sliced to death to "check the done-ness"

It's also super handy when you can toss a roast on there, set it on low, and have the thermometer start beeping when it gets close to temp so you can just have beers in the backyard and forget about it and dont have to suffer through grey, well done roast beef.

Who temps their food? well okay, if its chicken thys I generally do.. otherwise its too much of a hastle

I do temp my WSM smoker (the smoker itself), if I'm doing a 12hr type of smoke
those remote thermometers are aaawesome!

Unknown303
05-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by bspot
The perfect medium rare steak:

Crank your grill up to max, and let it heat all the way up.

Throw your steak on, close the lid.

Wait 2 minutes, flip.

Wait 2 minutes, turn off the head and throw it on the top rack.

Let it sit ~5minutes lid down, heat off.

Perfect steak :nut: :love:

I need steak rare or blue. Mean quicker dinners too!

r3ccOs
05-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

I need steak rare or blue. Mean quicker dinners too!

a proper cut over a hot enough flame is required for a good chicago or cold blue!

That's where a Gas grilll won't give you what you need and the 2 minutes aside trick may work for steaks less than an inch thick

Take a chimney of lump and let it get raging hot, I mean like 800-900f

pour it into your kettle and then sear quickly to your desired doneness... with a proper 1.5" striploin of ribeye; probably about a minute a side

tasty

Strider
05-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
That's where a Gas grilll won't give you what you need and the 2 minutes aside trick may work for steaks less than an inch thick

Infrared.
Seared crusty perfection in about 6 minutes from a stone cold grill.
:drool:

nonlinear
05-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Strider

Infrared.
Seared crusty perfection in about 6 minutes from a stone cold grill.
:drool:

7rVu_-tlSwA