PDA

View Full Version : (kinda graphic) Why wear a helmet?

Vagabond142
05-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Not saying that Beyond riders are irresponsible, but I know that there are Calgarians out there that ride without leathers and I have seen one or two riders that ride illegally without helmets or with substandard (brain cap) helmets (again, not saying they're Beyonders).

The graphic warning is that this is a crash video, but it goes to show just how vital even a basic helmet can be to preventing your brains becoming part of the pavement

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2a3_1272417187

Kloubek
05-25-2010, 09:11 PM
I thought we were going to see someone's brains splattered everywhere. This guy is A-ok.... not graphic at all!

Vagabond142
05-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I thought we were going to see someone's brains splattered everywhere. This guy is A-ok.... not graphic at all!

Just covering my ass so I don't get yelled at for posting a potentially disturbing video on here :P (some people don't like watching other people get smacked in the head with 500 or so pounds of bike doing a barrel roll)

drtoohotty1
05-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Not really sure what happened there..... Guy from the front bails after a little wobble then guy number 2 instead of counter steering and avoiding decides to low side it like in the movies? :dunno:

kevie88
05-25-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm more thinking that this guy would be better off getting some rider training.. That was probably the most idiotic crash I've ever seen. The guy just jammed on the front brake, locked up and went down for no reason at all..

Unknown303
05-25-2010, 09:20 PM
I have no idea what either of those guys were trying to do right there. It`s like his foot slipped of the cruiser pegs or whatever you call those and he just rolled with it. The guy behind just emergency bailed rather than control stopping.

top_speed
05-25-2010, 09:22 PM
now this is disturbing :barf:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3e7_1232271532
i dont know if it is fake, the dude's face looks fucked when he hit the ground.

shutterbug_art8
05-25-2010, 09:25 PM
I am surprised there's no blood....the dude was wearing a T-shirt.

My helmet saved me once. I hit the ground so hard my visor shattered. Well worth the $500. Yeah, wear a helmet please.

eglove
05-25-2010, 09:27 PM
now top_speed's vid was graphic. op's link was pansy

Vagabond142
05-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

Just covering my ass so I don't get yelled at for posting a potentially disturbing video on here :P (some people don't like watching other people get smacked in the head with 500 or so pounds of bike doing a barrel roll)

adidas
05-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Buddy needs training wheels

Go4Long
05-25-2010, 11:23 PM
while I agree this video sucks balls as a demonstrator...I agree with the message. definitely wear your gear. I DESTROYED a motorcycle in a crash and walked away completely unscathed save for a scrape on one knuckle where the leather of the glove actually wore through.

Since that day any time I'm on a bike I'm in full gear, sure on hot days I get hot...but I'd rather be warm and have all my skin, than be nice and cool and share some of it with the pavement.

CUG
05-25-2010, 11:34 PM
^ I even had full gear on and a 1100$ (retail) helmet on, full leathers, gloves and still got a raunchy concussion, shaved skin off of the heel-looking thing part of one of my hands, both of them looked all michelin man after.

CUG
05-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
I'm more thinking that this guy would be better off getting some rider training.. That was probably the most idiotic crash I've ever seen. The guy just jammed on the front brake, locked up and went down for no reason at all.. Word. What a fucking moron. It's funny what happens when accountants try to show off for a fat housewife holding a video camera.

Kardon
05-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by top_speed
now this is disturbing :barf:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3e7_1232271532
i dont know if it is fake, the dude's face looks fucked when he hit the ground.

Wasn't great but still saved the thread.

revelations
05-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Looks like low sides, both riders grabbed too much front brake.

Vagabond142
05-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Well, I apologize that there wasn't gore splattered all over the screen, but as Go4Long pointed out, the message is more important than the video results. I like my bike friends, be them pedal or motor powered, and would prefer safe riding be practiced.

Kardon
05-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Well, I apologize that there wasn't gore splattered all over the screen, but as Go4Long pointed out, the message is more important than the video results. I like my bike friends, be them pedal or motor powered, and would prefer safe riding be practiced.

Sorry I figured it was kinda common sense to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle :dunno:

Vagabond142
05-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Kardon

Sorry I figured it was kinda common sense to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle :dunno:

Sadly, that is a very naive view :\

I know of a few states in the US where you don't need anything but a license to ride a literbike. I have seen videos of young men and women killed by riding hayabusas, gsx-r1000's, etc in nothing but shorts and a shirt. Common sense to you and me means full leathers, impact protection (reinforced gloves, boots, spine and neck protectors), and full face helmets.... but there are a lot of people out there that say "fuck you" to common sense.

So if I can do even my one small bit, my little part in maybe, possibly, improving safety for my fellow two wheeled friends, and potentionally having them live through an otherwise nasty crash, be they pedal or motor powered, then I will put my efforts thusly. An yes, my helmet (Bell Sport) on my bike (touring McKinley 21 speed with road tour tires) has saved my life at least once, when I came off my bike on some gravel on the road and cracked the helmet open on the curb. $150 helmet gone, but head perfectly fine.

CUG
05-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Vagabond, you're hilarious dude hahahaha people shitting on you for there not being friggin brains all over the place? wtf... hahah you're handling it well, thats fuckin weird of people though..

Vagabond142
05-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by CUG
Vagabond, you're hilarious dude hahahaha people shitting on you for there not being friggin brains all over the place? wtf... hahah you're handling it well, thats fuckin weird of people though..

It's just the sensationalist society we live in. Okay, you guys want a crash where a helmet prevented another head injury, this time with a little blood?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=505_1274065675

Have it. Lands full force on face and head, helmet took the head impact but sadly his nose wasn't so fortunate. And he even had the right of way too (he was in a roundabout, she was entering without stopping at the intersection).

Cowtown_Raider
05-26-2010, 09:50 AM
The following site is the most graphic collection of bike crashes that I've ever come across. Some of the images here are extremely graphic and disturbing, so you've been warned.

http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/bike.htm

Vagabond142
05-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Another factor, as has been pointed out in this thread, is that even with all the safety gear in the world, don't ride beyond your limits. If you feel you need extra training, then by all means get extra training. Think it's going to be too hot in all your leathers and gear? Take the car or even public transit instead.

Be safe out there, my two wheeled friends :D

spike98
05-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Another thing that drives me fucking bananas is seeing riders all leathered up on a streetbike and thier girl on the back in short shorts and flip flops. You girl will be one haggard bitch onces she hits the payment you assholes. </rant>

Graham_A_M
05-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
I'm more thinking that this guy would be better off getting some rider training.. That was probably the most idiotic crash I've ever seen. The guy just jammed on the front brake, locked up and went down for no reason at all..

Relax, he rides a Harley. Im not at all surprised. :rofl:

. Think it's going to be too hot in all your leathers and gear? Take the car or even public transit instead.
I usually keep an Ice pack/Freezer pack in my jacket pocket. That really helps on HOT days. :)

Neil4Speed
05-27-2010, 09:23 PM
This is coming from a guy who has never ridden a motorcycle, so realistically I don't even know if I hold a valid opinion on the "benefits" of riding a motorcycle. I don't doubt for a moment that it is an amazing thrill, however the risk/benefit ratio doesn't even come close. I think about the amount of accidents that happen on Calgary roads and think about the amount of protection you have on a motor cycle which is worse than none, realistically in many motorcycles the bike is using you for protection!

Old Lady runs a stop sign, broken limbs at best. Sideswipe broken limbs + 3rd degree burns. I mean that's speaking about other drivers and not even the possibility of not paying attention for a quarter of a second, dead.

And the prude in me likes the idea of having a place to put my stuff, not arriving at my destination with my hair like it has been in a helmet for an hour, sweating profusely out of every pore, and having to carry a helmet everywhere.

Not trying to put down motorcycle drivers, you love it - all the power to you, but for me, just not worth it.

Graham_A_M
05-27-2010, 09:42 PM
^ LOL, I've bailed at high rates of speed, and got up and walked over to my bike. These "traumatizing" accidents you speak of are mainly due to idiot riders not wearing their gear. I've had some nasty tumbles learning to ride at my dads farm on dirt roads and what not. Really its all about the gear.

Why do we ride? One of the reasons for me is that I like the fact that I can pay $10-15k for a new sportbike that'll spank a Ferrari 8 ways from Sunday in terms of everything.
Or having a ride that can hit 200kph in perhaps 8 seconds, bone stock, and do the quarter mile in 10 seconds, yet still get 5.5l/100kms on the highway.

Or the absolute divine thrill of taking corners at full lean, and perhaps being good enough of a rider to hit cloverleafs and on-ramps and be able to put my knee down. (man thats fun, again you wouldn't know that)
My Ride to and from work puts a ear to ear grin on my face, for a $10k investment: that speaks numbers to me.

Again, you'll never know this, but when its 23 degrees out, being out on some deserted mountain road with nothing but curves and bends in front of you is just *amazing*.
The feeling of freedom is incredible, as it honestly doesn't matter whats going on in your life... as you can forget it in those moments and just enjoy yourself.
For something that costs $10k new, and does ALL that for me, speaks practicality. I dont mind tossing what I have in a backpack.

The only time I sweat from every pore is when its +30 out, and Im sitting from light to light downtown or whatever... even then its a little hot, but I dont even sweat even in full leathers.
I also bring a hat with me to cover my "helmet hair". :dunno:

revelations
05-27-2010, 10:09 PM
^ explaining why real riders love to ride is kinda like trying to explain religion to an atheist.

(Sorry, but kids in shorts and tshirts blasting down the DF dont qualify as real riders. The bike is just an accessory. )

One reason I will get a bike again - the feeling of being "unconfined", the feeling of the instantaneous acceleration... and ... the sound.

CHICHARITZHI
05-27-2010, 11:53 PM
how much the fines driving without helmet?

Neil4Speed
05-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ LOL, I've bailed at high rates of speed, and got up and walked over to my bike. These &quot;traumatizing&quot; accidents you speak of are mainly due to idiot riders not wearing their gear. I've had some nasty tumbles learning to ride at my dads farm on dirt roads and what not. Really its all about the gear.

Why do we ride? One of the reasons for me is that I like the fact that I can pay $10-15k for a new sportbike that'll spank a Ferrari 8 ways from Sunday in terms of everything.
Or having a ride that can hit 200kph in perhaps 8 seconds, bone stock, and do the quarter mile in 10 seconds, yet still get 5.5l/100kms on the highway.

Or the absolute divine thrill of taking corners at full lean, and perhaps being good enough of a rider to hit cloverleafs and on-ramps and be able to put my knee down. (man thats fun, again you wouldn't know that)
My Ride to and from work puts a ear to ear grin on my face, for a $10k investment: that speaks numbers to me.

Again, you'll never know this, but when its 23 degrees out, being out on some deserted mountain road with nothing but curves and bends in front of you is just *amazing*.
The feeling of freedom is incredible, as it honestly doesn't matter whats going on in your life... as you can forget it in those moments and just enjoy yourself.
For something that costs $10k new, and does ALL that for me, speaks practicality. I dont mind tossing what I have in a backpack.

The only time I sweat from every pore is when its +30 out, and Im sitting from light to light downtown or whatever... even then its a little hot, but I dont even sweat even in full leathers.
I also bring a hat with me to cover my &quot;helmet hair&quot;. :dunno:

I don't doubt a single word you wrote, I am sure the feeling is exceptional! And the value statement is a really true, I mean, realistically even a 6-7k sports bike could beat out majority of super cars right?

I think part of my feeling is attributed to the fact that I have been in a few small not at fault accidents where I think that if I was on a motor cycle, I would probably be pretty seriously injured.

Seems like your a responsible rider who takes all the necessary precautions to keep yourself safe, good on you for that, not the douche wearing the jean shorts, t-shirt and aviators - thinking he is Tom Cruise in top gun.

Integra10
05-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ LOL, I've bailed at high rates of speed, and got up and walked over to my bike. These &quot;traumatizing&quot; accidents you speak of are mainly due to idiot riders not wearing their gear. I've had some nasty tumbles learning to ride at my dads farm on dirt roads and what not. Really its all about the gear.

I also bring a hat with me to cover my &quot;helmet hair&quot;. :dunno:

I can't wait to get my bike :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: