PDA

View Full Version : Joint strength

msommers
05-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Just started looking into this so bare with me..

Is there a way to increase joint strength? Or food that will...I don't even know the word...lubricate? :banghead: Well you get the idea.

Reason is, lately my knees have been bothering me. I went to go see the doctor about it and she mentioned the specific muscles (Re: in one ear out the other) of where I've have damaged tissue and likely damaged cartilage. The muscles she said were part of my quad that go behind the patella. I got some drops along with some, as she so bluntly put it, "medicine for old people, ie: arthritis medication" to cut down the swelling.

My knees feel like complete shit for days after a soccer game and it doesn't help that my job entails sitting at a desk all day. My shoulders aren't great either, I can't do as heavy weight as I'd like over my head in fear that my shoulder(s) will give out and weights will fall on my head.

I really should have asked her all of these things, totally slipped my mind at 7am. I've cut out coffee and am thinking of cutting out green tea thinking that caffeine may be causing further issue. My grandfather was known to have severe lower back problems so I think this sort of thing may be a family issue. I'm thinking about getting some Vibrams as well, despite their retarded appearance...health >>> fashion anytime.

In short, any foods to put in or take out of the diet coupled with some exercises would be more than welcome.

Cheers.

krusso04
05-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Allflex by allmax!!

dkmlam
05-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Inject synovial fluid ;)

Kloubek
05-25-2010, 10:06 PM
This thread was SO not what I was expecting... :angel:

liquidboi69
05-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Glucosamine and chondrontin. It's a very commonly taken OTC supplement used by older people to strengthen their joints.

I personally take it daily and I'm 23...and my joints are completely fine (take it as a preventative measure).

It is supposed to regrow cartilage to be stronger. I personally consider glucosamine for joints similar to protein for muscles.

This is generally the main ingredient in any joint supplements like allflex or animalflex IIRC. Also, omega-3's may help a bit. I take a multi-vit, omega3s, and glucosamine & chondrontin daily. Everyone can benefit from these irregardless of activity levels.

sabad66
05-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Use better weed... you get what you pay for. :D

But on a serious note, the guys at GNC have always told me that fish oil works to lubricate them if that's what you want to do.

krusso04
05-26-2010, 10:39 AM
GNC= :thumbsdow

dansmith11
05-26-2010, 11:02 AM
virbrams / barefoot for at least 10km per week. (walking or running)
and yoga for an hour at least 3x per week.

that will help your joints 10000x more then adding some supplements.

wintonyk
05-26-2010, 12:04 PM
fish oils will help with the pain. Omega 3 helps reduce inflammation.

I would be willing to bet Dr. said Patella Femoral Syndrome, its the fancy name for unknown cause for joint pain resulting from a knee cap that doesn't track properly. Years ago I did physio for this. My knees crack very badly whenever I crouch or after extended running. Best thing I did to strengthen was squats and yoga.

msommers
05-26-2010, 01:14 PM
I'll pick up some fish oil and looking into vibrams more. The two that appeal the most are the KSO and the sprint, not sure would be better for general walking and running.

Where is a good place to do yoga that is closeish to downtown, preferably on the north side? And is it regular or hot yoga?

liquidboi69
05-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by dansmith11
virbrams / barefoot for at least 10km per week. (walking or running)
and yoga for an hour at least 3x per week.

that will help your joints 10000x more then adding some supplements.
How does a high impact exercise like running help joints more than something that is proven to actually strengthen your joints?

dansmith11
05-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by liquidboi69

How does a high impact exercise like running help joints more than something that is proven to actually strengthen your joints?

becuase done properly in bare feet (or close to it, ie. vibrams) running is not a high impact activity.

i used to hate running, it was terrible. everytime i came home, my knees/hips/back were so sore and tense. sounds a lot like what the OP is describing post soccer games. that was all with high end running shoes and orthodics.

then i discovered barefoot running. what a difference. its really night and day. everything i thought i knew about running was wrong. dead wrong. when i come back from a run now, my knees and hips and back feel GREAT. everything feels lose and relaxed.. it feels more like ive just been doing yoga for an hour then actually running.

like anything in the body, joints and bones get stronger when stress is placed on them. so running and walking strengthens your joints becuase your using them. and by going barefoot it allows your body to actualy feel the ground and move as it was designed so those joints are moving smoothly and getting stronger in the range of motion they were designed to operate in.

as opposed to just being pounded on and getting more and more beat up and worn out.. which is what your doing when you go run with bad form (aka with shoes on)

colt22
05-26-2010, 02:51 PM
are people actually suggesting supplements?

they wont do absolutely anything at all. The best way around it is functional isometric stretching and rehabilitation coupled with physio thearpy.

Try stretching your quads daily, and I mean stretching, not just the 'warming up' type thing. Get an elastic band and give er. Try body weight squats the reinforce the muscles in that area.

Trust me supplements will do nothing.

Tik-Tok
05-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Reason is, lately my knees have been bothering me. I went to go see the doctor about it and she mentioned the specific muscles (Re: in one ear out the other) of where I've have damaged tissue and likely damaged cartilage. The muscles she said were part of my quad that go behind the patella. I got some drops along with some, as she so bluntly put it, "medicine for old people, ie: arthritis medication" to cut down the swelling.

Cheers.

Wow, is your doctor accepting new patients? Every time I ask mine about my knee pain (pretty much every visit), he asks if we've done xrays, which we have, twice, and showed nothing, and then he brushes it off and tells me to get more excercise and maybe physio :facepalm: (I don't exactly have a sedentary job)

Jeremiah
05-26-2010, 03:14 PM
MSM

wintonyk
05-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by dansmith11

becuase done properly in bare feet (or close to it, ie. vibrams) running is not a high impact activity.

i used to hate running, it was terrible. everytime i came home, my knees/hips/back were so sore and tense. sounds a lot like what the OP is describing post soccer games. that was all with high end running shoes and orthodics.

then i discovered barefoot running. what a difference. its really night and day. everything i thought i knew about running was wrong. dead wrong. when i come back from a run now, my knees and hips and back feel GREAT. everything feels lose and relaxed.. it feels more like ive just been doing yoga for an hour then actually running.

like anything in the body, joints and bones get stronger when stress is placed on them. so running and walking strengthens your joints becuase your using them. and by going barefoot it allows your body to actualy feel the ground and move as it was designed so those joints are moving smoothly and getting stronger in the range of motion they were designed to operate in.

as opposed to just being pounded on and getting more and more beat up and worn out.. which is what your doing when you go run with bad form (aka with shoes on)

could you just not run properly with running shoes on? Most people just have poor running technique. Hence the knee pain. Marathoners all seem to wear shoes.

The supplements will not strengthen your joints. But they will help reduce the pain and inflammation without the side effects of NSAID's

msommers
05-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Wow, is your doctor accepting new patients? Every time I ask mine about my knee pain (pretty much every visit), he asks if we've done xrays, which we have, twice, and showed nothing, and then he brushes it off and tells me to get more excercise and maybe physio :facepalm: (I don't exactly have a sedentary job)

Ironically, I wouldn't mind going in for an xray to make sure there aren't any small fractures on the side of my patella.

With respect to accepting new patients, I'm not sure. Given the state of our health care system right now, I'd wager a big fat no. If she is accepting, I would highly recommend her. She genuinely cares about her patients and will actually sit and chat with you for a bit. This eventually leads into never getting in at your assigned time but I think it's a huge trade off. They have a new receptionist, thank God, as the last one was a total cunt.

Her name is Dr. Helena Mentz of mycalgarydoctor. P.S. their website is terrible I just noticed lol.

Originally posted by wintonyk
could you just not run properly with running shoes on? Most people just have poor running technique. Hence the knee pain. Marathoners all seem to wear shoes.

The supplements will not strengthen your joints. But they will help reduce the pain and inflammation without the side effects of NSAID's

I was wondering this as well. I think for now I'll try barefoot anyways and really concentrate on my technique. MEC has fuck all for sizes and styles anyways.

Lastly, I picked up this (http://www.ascentahealth.com/products/human/nutrasea-original-200-ml) fish oil as the EPA and DPA seemed more than adequate. Kind of expensive...$22/bottle. Tastes good at least!

core_upt
05-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Glucosamine and chondrontin. It's a very commonly taken OTC supplement used by older people to strengthen their joints.

I personally take it daily and I'm 23...and my joints are completely fine (take it as a preventative measure).

It is supposed to regrow cartilage to be stronger. I personally consider glucosamine for joints similar to protein for muscles.

This is generally the main ingredient in any joint supplements like allflex or animalflex IIRC. Also, omega-3's may help a bit. I take a multi-vit, omega3s, and glucosamine & chondrontin daily. Everyone can benefit from these irregardless of activity levels.

Do you take powdered glucosamine, or pills?
daily dosage?

broken_legs
05-27-2010, 10:18 AM
you can get giant bottles of liquid glucosamine at Costco...

It tastes like sh*t. BUt its an easy way do down it if it gets in your shake in the morning.

dansmith11
05-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by wintonyk

something like 80% of distance runners experience some form of knee or hip injury that slows down or stops their training at least once a year.

but yes you can run properly in shoes.. but its a lot harder to do. personally i just started walking around in vibrams, then i got to a point my feet felt strong enough, and i started running. then a while later i picked up a chi running book, and when i read it, i found i was already doing 80% of what they talked about and i had picked it up naturally. when your feet are allowed to move properly, the rest of your body seems to follow.

remember the earliest human skeleton they have found now is 4.4 millions years old. so we've had basically the same feet for over 4 million years, how long have we had shoes? 2000?

ive been pretty big into yoga the last 3-4 years.. at least 5 hours a week for the last 3 years.. and my flexibility gains have always been very slow ( and i started out with probably the worst flexibility around.. uner 25 and could barely touch my toes, pretty sad).. anyway, my piont is.. over the last 6 months since i stopped wearing shoes.. my flexibiltiy seems to be increasing exponentially. my whole body just feels looser and more relaxed. it sounds strange but even my shoulders feel more relaxed from walking around barefoot.

taking my shoes off was the best thing ive ever done for my overall fitness/heatlh.

i firmly believe by wearing shoes and having weak feet your losing out on so much of your potential for strength and agility. gotta have a strong foundation to build on right?

98brg2d
06-03-2010, 10:20 AM
remember the earliest human skeleton they have found now is 4.4 millions years old. so we've had basically the same feet for over 4 million years, how long have we had shoes? 2000?

Even less when you look at what we consider running shoes. Modern cushioned running shoes have only been on the market since the late 1960's/early 1970's (Nike essentially invented them). Before that long distance runners used leather thongs that stretched as the foot landed and rolled allowing for unrestricted foot motion but still offering protection from pebbles and rocks. They acted very similar to how the vibram toe shoes act.

Modern shoes caused the development of heel strike running which our bodies are not evolved to do. Mid foot and/or ball of foot strikes are more difficult with a thick heel cushion but still do-able but be prepared for some really tired muscles the first few times you do it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100104122310.htm

Speed_69
06-03-2010, 12:09 PM

Glucosamine :thumbsup:

I'm 23 as well, and train about 4 times a week. My joints are completed fine.

I take 3 pills daily. I stopped taking it for awhile once and could definitely tell my joints weren't as strong and started to hurt abit.

wintonyk
06-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by 98brg2d

Even less when you look at what we consider running shoes. Modern cushioned running shoes have only been on the market since the late 1960's/early 1970's (Nike essentially invented them). Before that long distance runners used leather thongs that stretched as the foot landed and rolled allowing for unrestricted foot motion but still offering protection from pebbles and rocks. They acted very similar to how the vibram toe shoes act.

Modern shoes caused the development of heel strike running which our bodies are not evolved to do. Mid foot and/or ball of foot strikes are more difficult with a thick heel cushion but still do-able but be prepared for some really tired muscles the first few times you do it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100104122310.htm

Cool. I am glad you pointed this out. :thumbsup:

msommers
06-03-2010, 09:25 PM
I think I may have narrowed it down to patellofemoral pain syndrome. The UofC is conducting studies right now and I'm going to try to get in there. Interesting article on their main site as well:

http://www.runninginjuryclinic.com/media/Lieberman_barefoot_running_Nature.pdf

I've been taking a spoonful of fish oil every night and I can't say I notice a difference at all. At least the omega 3's are doing something...I hope!