PDA

View Full Version : Back to BMW.

gregrego
05-26-2010, 12:24 AM
As some of you know, I'm looking to get back into a BMW, I tried a few different cars, but in the end, the BMW suits me the most I find. I want to have a good balance of all aspects of a car. Performance, luxury, looks, drive-ability, and practicality. I used to have a 325ci, and although it was very slow, I still really enjoyed driving and owning the car, and the luxury aspect of the vehicle.

Now I'm stuck with what direction to go in...

I don't want to make payments on an E90/92/93 M3, they would leave me pretty tight every month...

I realllllllly want a hard top convertible, or convertible with removable hardtop.

I will be driving the car year round.. and possibly commuting to fort mac and back with it... (if it comes to that I may buy something else cheap on fuel to go back and forth)

I cannot afford a mercedes anything so don't even go there, their cars are also all very ugly to me.

An E90/92/93 335i is my goal, but finding one with all the options I want proves to be a battle (6 speed, navigation, black wood grain/carbonfiber, saddle or black leather), but the dinan stages are very sexy.

I think I need to drive a 335i and an E46 M3 to really figure out what I need..

Please help.

**Edit

I should also state what I plan to do to the car, I do plan to put some stylish wheels on it, and possibly some performance addons. A 335i would receive Dinan treatment, whereas an e46 M3 would get some HPF loving, nothing crazy just pump it up a bit.

I would also want to track the car a few times a year.

gregrego
05-26-2010, 12:26 AM
I think Jaymez can give me good insight, seeing as he has owned both a 335, and m3. Hope he see's this thread! :poosie:

signature7
05-26-2010, 12:53 AM
You should take a good look at Rages car , I'm really tempted to make an offer just because of how unique it is and the type of person who owned it before. I usually would never consider used but it's well documented and treated as new as it comes to used.

nightfx
05-26-2010, 12:56 AM
A 335i is a lot more practical imo.

An M3 is an M3, much more raw. :burnout:

Since you want the better all round car I'd get the 335i which has more than enough power with a Dinan reflash. (I may be biased :D )

911fever
05-26-2010, 07:14 AM
M3 doesn't feel very fast compared to the 335, and if you chip the 335i you'll be almost able to run with stock E90 M3's. But don't get me wrong, both are awesome awesome cars and I hope to be in an M3 in a year

rage2
05-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by gregrego
I should also state what I plan to do to the car, I do plan to put some stylish wheels on it, and possibly some performance addons. A 335i would receive Dinan treatment, whereas an e46 M3 would get some HPF loving, nothing crazy just pump it up a bit.

I would also want to track the car a few times a year.
My HPF Stage 2 M3 Vert is fully done, everything you can do to it has been done. And I'm letting it go for cheap to get into an R8 or SLR hopefully before the summer's over. The only thing that doesn't meet your criteria is "nothing crazy". The HPF stage 2 is pretty damn fast, and I've driven a lot of fast cars.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/304343/fs-2003-5-bmw-m3-convertible-hpf-stage-2/

gregrego
05-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by rage2

My HPF Stage 2 M3 Vert is fully done, everything you can do to it has been done. And I'm letting it go for cheap to get into an R8 or SLR hopefully before the summer's over. The only thing that doesn't meet your criteria is "nothing crazy". The HPF stage 2 is pretty damn fast, and I've driven a lot of fast cars.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/304343/fs-2003-5-bmw-m3-convertible-hpf-stage-2/

That's a beautiful car, but I don't want anything that heavily modified, I want something relatively stock, like I said I will be year round driving the car, and possibly travelling to fort mac and back (500km drive 4-6 times a month)

I'm now leaning toward the 335 mainly due to the warranty, and potency of the dinan flash + upgrades. It's still a problem trying to find one with the color/option combination I want..

thetransporter
05-26-2010, 10:17 PM
new bmw 7

pinoyhero
05-31-2010, 09:10 AM
Easy choice, 335i. More daily drivable, will stil have warranty and is immensly tunable.

max_boost
05-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Easy choice, 335i. More daily drivable, will stil have warranty and is immensly tunable.

Yeah

:werd:

RC-Cola
05-31-2010, 03:59 PM
I voted for the E46 Coupe due to the fact you see WAY TOO MANY 335i in Calgary.

I agree that it makes the more practical sense to purchase, but if you wanted a practical car to drive to Ft Mac regularly you should be buying a Camry or Accord.

The E46 is still the best looking BMW built and there are lot's of mods available to make the car a sleeper or more your own.

No offense on anyone who owns a convertible on Beyond, but the vast majority look like they should be owned by a chick (Rage's car is one of the few exceptions)! :burnout: and are totally impractical 9.5 months of the year.

benyl
05-31-2010, 04:13 PM
Even a stage 1 HPF kit will cost you upwards of $15K-$$20K. And a stage 2 doesn't make it any more "heavily modified" than a Stage 1 car.

So if you are planning on going the E46 route, rage2's car is a bargain.

You can't really beat the fuel economy of the N54 given the amount of power it puts out.

If you can deal with the problems that the E9X car present, that might be an option, but I don't think all the problems have cropped up yet.

I don't know what to do with my E92. I have already had to replace injectors and I am convinced the fuel pump is going. The new 335is is tempting.

I wouldn't want an E9X out of warranty...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by RC-Cola

No offense on anyone who owns a convertible on Beyond, but the vast majority look like they should be owned by a chick (Rage's car is one of the few exceptions)! :burnout: and are totally impractical 9.5 months of the year.

Why are they impractical 9.5 months of the year? They can still be driven, and are sometimes better insulated as well. Not to mention the few exceptions that are lighter than there Coupe equivalents.

benyl
05-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Why are they impractical 9.5 months of the year? They can still be driven, and are sometimes better insulated as well. Not to mention the few exceptions that are lighter than there Coupe equivalents.

The E93 is 300 - 400 lbs heavier than the E92.

The E46 cab is louder inside than the E46 coupe.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by benyl

The E93 is 300 - 400 lbs heavier than the E92.

Didnt say anything about the E9Xs, I just said in general there are a few convertibles lighter than the coupe equivalent.

benyl
05-31-2010, 04:31 PM

Didnt say anything about the E9Xs, I just said in general there are a few convertibles lighter than the coupe equivalent.

Yes, but this thread is about the E46 vs the E9X cars.

911fever
05-31-2010, 04:46 PM

If you can deal with the problems that the E9X car present, that might be an option, but I don't think all the problems have cropped up yet.

I don't know what to do with my E92. I have already had to replace injectors and I am convinced the fuel pump is going. The new 335is is tempting.

I wouldn't want an E9X out of warranty...

really? that goes against what a lot of people are finding, good reliability in the E90 vs the E46. The E46 suffered from rear subframe issues, coilpacks, electrical issues, fast tire wear, weak rear struts, etc etc. The E90 seems to be more reliable tbh. The injectors and the fuel pump were both a recall on the 335i if I believe, but once replaced, aren't they pretty reliable?

RC-Cola
05-31-2010, 04:46 PM

I wasn't thinking about weight, but my general impression is you lose the vast majority of your trunk space, the noise levels and as the car ages they tend to leak. seals go.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by RC-Cola

I wasn't thinking about weight, but my general impression is you lose the vast majority of your trunk space, the noise levels and as the car ages they tend to leak. seals go.

I thought you were referring to how most people don't put the roof down often etc. Tops don't tend to leak if you take care of them properly in my experience. Whos buying a E46 or E9X for trunk space anyway ;)

redline
05-31-2010, 04:55 PM
My e46 still has warrenty for another 3 years :) and i have not had a single issue with it... great car

benyl
05-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by 911fever

really? that goes against what a lot of people are finding, good reliability in the E90 vs the E46. The E46 suffered from rear subframe issues, coilpacks, electrical issues, fast tire wear, weak rear struts, etc etc. The E90 seems to be more reliable tbh. The injectors and the fuel pump were both a recall on the 335i if I believe, but once replaced, aren't they pretty reliable?

They are not recall items.

Some people have had their fuel pumps replaced 4 times...

gregrego
05-31-2010, 05:54 PM
hmm good debate, I enjoy reading it. I have no opinions on the subject yet hence why I stay quiet.

The e93 is not useless 9.5 months out of the year because its a retractable hard top, as well, you can buy a removable hardtop for the e46 verts, this is why I want the vert because it gives you that flexibility of going top down if you want to.

I agree with anyone who says not to own an e9x out of warranty, and I don't plan to do so. My E46 was immensely reliable, I sold it at 190k, me and my brother in law who owned it previous put over 100k on it collectively, and nothing but wearable items went. Did the clutch, the weak problematic power steering pump, and the tires a few times. Nothing out of the ordinary. However upon selling the car, the oil pump came apart on the next owner and the engine was toast in result of that... but the car was also 9 years old, a lot of K, and driven relatively hard through its final 100k.

IF there was an option to get an aftermarket warranty from BMW which was equivelant to OEM warranty, or at least a pro-rated version of the oem warranty I would be very interested in a relatively STOCK E46 M3. I don't want or need 5-600 wheel, that's far too much power in a car driven year round. That's the power levels where things wear quicker, and break easier. I have had my share of high maintenance modified cars and am done with it. This is my reasoning behind not pouncing on Rage2's incredible M3! I agree it's a well built beautiful car, but not what I'm looking for at this point in my life.

Continue on gents, it's been a pleasure reading all sides of the seemingly never ending comparison.

redline
05-31-2010, 06:13 PM
^^ i am starting to look look for an e92 m3, if i find one i sell you my e46 m3

gregrego
05-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by redline
^^ i am starting to look look for an e92 m3, if i find one i sell you my e46 m3

No thanks!!!

I REALLY don't want anything with SMG, or paddle shift.

Rhystar
06-01-2010, 10:25 PM
on the 35 series...135, 335, etc, its more than just the fuel pump, the "brake failure, need service" light enjoys popping up after hard driving..... it happened to me halfway to van from calgary....well both the "limp mode" and the "brake failure" lights decided to come on at 2am in the mountains :banghead:

benyl
06-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Squeeky brakes when it gets warm.

Wastegate rattles and failures.

Leaking diverter valves.

The list goes on and on.

heavyD
06-02-2010, 07:03 AM

Leaking diverter valves.

The list goes on and on.

Wow. So these are strickly lease cars eh? I'll almost feel sorry for the wannabe ballers that will purchase these cars used in 5 years time.

911fever
06-02-2010, 07:20 AM

Leaking diverter valves.

The list goes on and on.

really? Plenty of people who've owned them have complained of issues, mostly fuel pumps, but this must be a brutal build quality.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313035&page=2

I was considering buying one that would be out of warranty, maybe I'll stay away.

ICEBERG
06-02-2010, 07:42 AM

Leaking diverter valves.

The list goes on and on.

I had all that on mine Plus:

Bad fuel injectors

Bad Solenoids

Bad High Pressure fuel Pump and Low Pressure Fuel Pump. (Twice went)

I also have the Dinan Stage 3 upgrade with lot of problems. When the car is working it is a blast to drive. It is very fast, specially at these elevations. But there is no way i would keep this car after the warranty runs out.

rage2
06-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Wow, I feel sorry for you 335 guys haha. Friend of mine has a Dinan stage 3 335 as well, I believe he's on his 3rd set of turbos, and his 2nd engine. Pretty brutal.

Originally posted by gregrego
I don't want or need 5-600 wheel, that's far too much power in a car driven year round. That's the power levels where things wear quicker, and break easier. I have had my share of high maintenance modified cars and am done with it. This is my reasoning behind not pouncing on Rage2's incredible M3! I agree it's a well built beautiful car, but not what I'm looking for at this point in my life.
haha it's too bad. The HPF kit is pretty awesome. Drive it under 3500rpm, and it drives exactly like stock. It's got multiple boost profiles, pump, pump+meth, race, race+meth so it's not like it makes retarded power all the time.

To be honest, 99% of the time I'm in straight pump gas mode. That's 520hp or something and I rarely use it other than for passing. On random blasts, I'll turn on the foglights which engages meth and gives me 670hp. A tank of meth when driven hard lasts something like 6-8 mins, I go through a refill every 2 months lol. Race gas? Never even used it before. The car is more drivable than my C63 AMG, which has way too much low end torque when it's not dry.

As for reliability, here's what's gone wrong with my car in the 4 years of ownership.

- Stock brakes worn out. Took 2 years. Replaced with 380mm Brembos. That should last a while.

- HPF Meth pump failed. Replaced under warranty.

- Stage 1 clutch premature wear. HPF upgraded all stage 2 kits to their Stage 2 clutch because they expected the Stage 1 clutch to handle the power.

- Toasted O2 sensor wiring, wasn't heat wrapped properly. Limited me to 120hp. Not fun lol.

Not too shabby for a modified car. It's by far the most reliable modded car I've ever owned haha.

scat330
06-02-2010, 09:18 AM
They used the foglight button for meth? lol, did not know that. I love the look of angels and fogs, that would be a bummer. however 600hp > lights.

rage2
06-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by scat330
They used the foglight button for meth? lol, did not know that. I love the look of angels and fogs, that would be a bummer. however 600hp > lights.
No, HPF has a button you can use to arm/disarm meth. I didn't want to install it in the car, no clean place for it. So I wired a relay to trigger it on and off using the foglights as a trigger. Foglights still work like foglights, just that it also turns on meth.

So if you see me rolling around with my foglights on, look out! :burnout:

Aleks
06-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Wow. So these are strickly lease cars eh? I'll almost feel sorry for the wannabe ballers that will purchase these cars used in 5 years time.

Just stick with the non turbo versions. :poosie:

All the good stuff minus the reliability issues, and my speeding tickets have all but disappeared! :zzz:

benyl
06-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

All the good stuff minus the reliability issues, and my speeding tickets have all but disappeared! :zzz:

I test drove a 335d last night. Just can't stay away from the turbos....

r3ccOs
06-02-2010, 11:22 AM
E36 Eurospec CSL

thats the only BMW I'll go for

probably cause I'm cheap, and probably cause its a classic

heavyD
06-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

LOL that wasn't a shot at you. I know a couple of guys that make average incomes but rather than buy new they continue to buy used BMW's that always have issues whether it be major (transmission) or stuff not working right in the interior. They always complain about fixing them but balk when I tell them just to buy an affordable new car. Such is the life of a baller on a budget I guess.:rofl: :rofl: