PDA

View Full Version : Impound lot

Redlyne_jr
05-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Has anyone had the grace of having to deal with the impound lot? How does it work? After a certain point they crush the car but do they still bill you for the time the car sat? Say you had a car that was worth less than the impound bill and it no longer ran so you would have to arrange for a tow truck to tow it out ontop of paying the bill.. Would you just leave the car with them or get it out? My understanding is after a set time period they crush it and than you deal with the Alberta government?

spikerS
05-26-2010, 09:53 AM
the impound will keep your car for a certain amount of time. If you do not make arrangements or pay your bill, they don't crush it, rather the 3rd saturday of every month, they hold an auction and sell all the cars.

theken
05-26-2010, 10:01 AM
They don't sell cars that aren't worth selling. They take it to a wreckers and u get a nice 4 or 500 bill for derelict vehicle.

Tomaz
05-26-2010, 10:26 AM
I have never had a car there long enough to tell you about it being crushed or sold, but you will want to avoid that place as much as possible.

Be sure to have all your paperwork in order to release the vehicle (be sure that the vehicle is cleared for release, you have your proof of insurance and registration along with a valid license). Don't be worried if your papers are in the car. The lot attendants can arrange a visit to grab the papers from the car.

After you clear your dues, you are able to take the car. If the car is undriveable, you can arrange for a tow truck to pick it up with you present.

Any time i have been there, it has been a long ordeal. Be kind and courteous to the staff, they get enough shit all day and don't need you to add more to the pile.

That is as far as i have gone with the lot. Hopefully someone else can chime in and answer the rest of the questions for you.

Redlyne_mr2
05-26-2010, 10:29 AM
If it's for the low&slow integra then I would just leave it. I've had a few random "projects" towed there. Just left them all there, not worth paying the fees or dealing with the charming ladies who work there.

Kennyredline
05-26-2010, 12:12 PM
So why are you asking? Is your car there? If so, why?

2EFNFAST
05-26-2010, 12:13 PM
So if I wait long enough they'll send some of those Ferraris you see impounded there to auction .... excellent :D

911fever
05-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
So if I wait long enough they'll send some of those Ferraris you see impounded there to auction .... excellent :D

You don't want a Mustang with a replaced engine, but you want an unmaintained Ferrari?
:rofl: :rofl:

Hash_man
05-26-2010, 12:48 PM
I sold a friend a car, he didn't register it and left it at our old work... it got towed to impound, they tried to get me to pay the bill for towing and such, but the car was worth nothing so they decided to dispose of it.

I had to go to the registries and get a letter stating that I had sold the car and was no longer responsible for it, and had to have someone at the registry sign it. Was pretty easy, the lady from the impound who handles the phone calls and such seemed quite nice, but I never bothered going down, car wasn't worth anything.

Justin-88
06-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
If it's for the low&slow integra then I would just leave it. I've had a few random "projects" towed there. Just left them all there, not worth paying the fees or dealing with the charming ladies who work there.

hmmm, what do these random projects look like, i may be going down there with a list :)

masoncgy
06-16-2010, 10:31 PM
I drive past that place everyday, it's busted up Grand Am central.

MGCM
06-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
I drive past that place everyday, it's busted up Grand Am central.

occasionally there is a few diamonds in the rough there