PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood floor with history - what's it worth?

AndyL
05-26-2010, 10:27 AM
G'day all,

Friend of mine, is finally starting to clean out his (deceased) fathers garage... There's one item in there that takes up a huge space, and needs to go - but, it's one that his sister thinks is worth $$$; we're less sure...

It's the old hardwood dancefloor from the Ranchman's (memories are vague but we think late 80s/early 90's reno?). Given to his father by the owner. Been stacked neatly and protected since it was removed... We know old hardwood floors have value, this one ... ?

Also - what's the best way to calculate out square footage on something like this? It's a ~4'x4'x10' pile of hardwood... Should I assemble a row and measure out then multiply by the number of rows or is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance!

ercchry
05-26-2010, 10:34 AM
what does firewood go for now? $20 a bundle?

but really... old hardwood from a dirty country bar? didn't know puke and blood added so much value :rofl:

2Valve0
05-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Ya I think his sister is smoking something...who the hell will buy old hardwood floor from a dirty bar? Ranchmans is not a historic bar, its a P.O.S. so.... Dump it...

project240
05-26-2010, 10:54 AM
I'd assume it's probably 2 1/4" x 3/4" maple flooring. I'd also assume from your dimensions given you've got about 1200-1500sq ft.

I've seen people trying to sell old gym floors at $1.00/sq ft, but really not much value there.

I'd say you're lucky if you find someone willing to pay $1000 for the lot.

sxtasy
05-26-2010, 11:04 AM
check out the flooring in this house: http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=9536906

This is 100yr old barn flooring, planed down, sanded and sealed

AndyL
05-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Not extolling it's virtues... In my world it only ranks slightly above cowboys but I digress :) I've been advocating just tossing it up on fleabay and let'r go for what she goes for... But there's gotta be some peace kept within the family too...

in*10*se
05-26-2010, 11:27 AM
could say that it's the hardwood from the movie 'cool runnings'

sputnik
05-26-2010, 12:10 PM
How thick are the planks?

Is it tongue and groove?

What kind of wood is it?

AndyL
05-26-2010, 12:59 PM
It is tongue & groove - Guessing about an inch thick, haven't put tape measure on it - just tripped over it / run into it a hundred times now... I'm thinking oak rather than pine, but haven't unwrapped it so I can say for sure (It's definitely a darker color - with more of an oak / maple type grain than a pine).

Masked Bandit
05-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Considering we're in Alberta it wouldn't surprise me if the fact that it came out of Ranchman's added some value to it. How much is hard to say but I think there has to be something.

As far as bars with history go, places like Cowboy's couldn't hold a candle to Ranchman's. Kids go to Cowboys, cowboys go to Ranchman's.

AndyL
06-10-2010, 09:12 AM
If anyone is interested... There's been some discussion with Harris, can possibly get a letter stating it did come from the Ranchmans.

However the pole barn (aka garage) it was in - didn't survive one of the recent spring storms... If anyone is interested - pm me an offer - will deliver. It's mostly 8' and smaller lengths - Rupert must have been OCD - had it stacked so that it really looked to be 10' lengths.

1.5" x 3/4" I'm leaning towards maple... Do have a couple pieces in town if anyone wants to come see.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/cgyreefer/for%20sale/002.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/cgyreefer/for%20sale/001.jpg