PDA

View Full Version : Whats A Good Shop To Get Brakes, Oil Changes Etc.?

InLoveWitRSX
05-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Hey so my moms element needs the brakes fixed cause the shop that she took it to (also the same shop where I found my oil cap exploded and my brakes were fucked too) fucked up the brakes and now it needs fixing.

Option import is closed or no one is there?(no answer) anyone know any other good shop?

Thanks.

scat330
05-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Are you much of a DIY guy?

What exactly happened to the brakes? Just warped rotors?

Joe-G
05-26-2010, 12:09 PM
They might have been busy at the time you called, but i would say to wait for Option Import or drop by. You wont regret going there.

max_boost
05-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Give Mike at Integra Tire Macleod/57th AVE 255-5592 and he should be able to help. Tell him rage2 sent you.

InLoveWitRSX
05-26-2010, 12:11 PM
not much of a DIY guy, well the shop that changed the brakes before didn't put them on right (according to the stealership) and the brake pad is loose or so I've been told and some pin is broken so they have to replace the whole thing which will cost 400-500 bucks at the stealership, just trying to find if theres another place.

2EFNFAST
05-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).
For stuff I can't do myself, I usually goto Mr. Volvo Plus

My dad has been going there for like 20+yrs now; great service. :thumbsup:

InLoveWitRSX
05-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).
For stuff I can't do myself, I usually goto Mr. Volvo Plus

My dad has been going there for like 20+yrs now; great service. :thumbsup:

Do they do hondas too?

InLoveWitRSX
05-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Give Mike at Integra Tire Macleod/57th AVE 255-5592 and he should be able to help. Tell him rage2 sent you.

Ill give him a call thanks

2EFNFAST
05-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by InLoveWitRSX

Do they do hondas too?

Pretty much everything, domestic and import.

403ep3
05-26-2010, 01:09 PM
I prefer mccall brake and muffler near mcknight and pegasus

redline
05-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Option Import

nonlinear
05-26-2010, 01:21 PM
wow, you've had some great responses in this thread. whenever i've started a similar thread, i get 4 or 5 idiots making fun of the fact that i'm asking for shop recommendations. (it seems that once you get the first posting like that, the rest of the thread takes that tone - which is no help). anyhow, good luck with the breaks, man.

my dad has auto shops in minneapolis, that were started by his father in the 1940s, so i grew up believing in honest work, customer service, and word of mouth advertising. of course i never had a problem fixing my cars growing up, but after moving here in 2001, i've been going to OK tire on Northmount they are very old school, honest and do good work. I've also been to Mike (smaller shop just adjacent), but he would fix things without asking me first, and then had my car one time for 3.5 weeks... he's a nice guy, but boo!

Tomaz
05-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
wow, you've had some great responses in this thread. whenever i've started a similar thread, i get 4 or 5 idiots making fun of the fact that i'm asking for shop recommendations. (it seems that once you get the first posting like that, the rest of the thread takes that tone - which is no help).

Depends on what you want done or what you are asking. Some ppl just say "I dont care where, as long as it is cheap". Then why do you ask if you don't care? Not saying that was you... just saying.

Anyway, all the suggestions given are great. I like going to McCall Brake and Muffler. I used to go there for EVERYTHING. That is until i started getting new cars under warranty.

TomcoPDR
05-27-2010, 01:45 AM

Hu's Garage. He does pretty much 90% Honda's

RY213
05-27-2010, 07:14 AM
+1 for Option Import

Anybody know whats the deal with them? Ive been calling them all week 4-5 times with no answer. Even left a message with a callback # and havent heard back. Are they open???

Aguirre
05-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by 403ep3
I prefer mccall brake and muffler near mcknight and pegasus

+1
Lenny does awesome work. Take my cars there for everything.

Axe
05-27-2010, 12:44 PM

I have taken my various cars (japanese and domestic) over the last 10 years to Monza Automotive in the NE. Have never had any issues and Vince (owner) has always been forthcoming in what to replace and when (and not before it's needed).

Shameless promotion perhpas but have always been treated very well by Vince and his crew.

InLoveWitRSX
05-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, my brother took it to integra tire and they were great there. The stealership wanted to charge us $400-500 bucks, but it was diagnosed and fixed by the guy at integra tire and he only charged us 90 bucks... so basically he saved us 300+ dollars!

And yeah not too sure what the deal is with Option import? anyone know?

nonlinear
05-27-2010, 04:08 PM
dealerships are absolutely the worst place you can take your car, unless it's under warranty. and even then they suck.

Graham_A_M
05-27-2010, 09:07 PM
NE: Paz automotive. Peter is a Honda tech, and an extremely honest huge hearted guy.
SE: (as in Midnapore area) I go to Auto Align. They're right off Banister road. Savio is also an extremely honest guy and they do fantastic work.

Disoblige
06-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

The Integra Tire at Ogden is also very good if you're in that area! My dad and I have been going there for over 15 years. Same owners, and committed to what they do.

Rat Fink
06-13-2010, 01:53 AM

nonlinear
06-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

Our dealership charges work based on fixed labor rates from the same book that independant shops use. Oh no such ass-raping. LOL.

then why do I get charged $120/hour for a FUCKING DIAGNOSIS at my dealership? (AND, this car is supposedly under bumper-to-bumper warranty). talk about getting raped. it shouldn't cost anything to tell me what is wrong with my car.

i should note here that my dad has some indie shop back home (they were started by my grandfather in the late 1940s). I pretty much grew up there, worked there all through high school, and not ONCE did we charge for a diagnosis - even on problem cars that might take several days to figure out. heck, my dad even fixes cheap stuff like headlights, blinkers, etc. for free, and does complete Grease, Oil, Filters for $30, and takes about a $30 loss on each one. he does this because he has a very well established customer base, wo return with bigger problems. you would NEVER get service like that from a dealership.

also, I recently had my car into jack carter for an alignment, which cost $120. i got in the car and the steering wheel was crooked. had to take it back and have them do it again, and it was still crooked when they were done. i gave up after that, but called my brother and he says they charge $60 for an alignment. :banghead:

also, you'd be surprised at how many times the dealer is cheaper for OEM parts on smaller items such as serpentine belts, brake pads, etc than the independant jobber suppliers. Also, the factory replacement parts sometimes come with warranties that independant guys can't compare with....and they are parts of higher quality too. (anyone who has had the misfortune of installing anything from Autovalue under the Partsmaster brand can agree I'm sure). I got a heater core from Napa that wasn't soldered one time. The pipes fell out of the core. Starters and Alternators dead out of the box. The list goes on.

i'm sorry man, but we use OEM parts too - from dealerships. you know the Will Call desk in your dealership parts depertment? yea, that's what that's for! it's not like the dealerships 'hide' the OEM parts from other mechanics.

also, because dealerhips deal in such large volumes to indie shops, they sell parts to them at 50% off, and then the repair shops mark up the price 50% so the final price is the same as what a customer would pay when buying the part at the dealership. (these percentages may have changed since the mid-90s when I worked for my dad). in fact, parts is one way shops make money (not just labor).

We get a lot of stuff towed to us from independant shops that couldn't figure out a problem, or fucked up on fixing it and gave up after they couldn't solve the problem after several repeat visits from pissed off customers.

really? that's funny, because the exact same opposite happens back home. The problem is that most dealerships are trying to skimp on costs so much, that they hire mechanics who are not ASE certified. this way they can pay them way less, but they still charge double the price for labor. :banghead:

the only reason i would ever bring my car to a dealership is for warranty work. dealerships are run by money hungry scammers, that's all there is to it.

Rat Fink
06-13-2010, 02:39 PM