PDA

View Full Version : Iphone screen cracked.. Who can fix it?

Kobe
05-26-2010, 02:14 PM
The inside of my iphone screen is cracked and apple said it only takes about 1minute to fix but they charge $240 for it, has anyone ever had there iphone fixed by someone here in Calgary and it was successful with no problems?

spike98
05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
I fix them. I fix a LOT of them. Order a screen kit from ebay as they are the cheapest and do it yourself.

Really they are very easy if you take your time.

flamboyant
05-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Or if your lazy like me, scared that you might break something, or hate waiting for the parts, you can get it fixed from Iphix for $99 (theres a cheaper iphone repair guy on kijiji then this overpriced iphix bs, but i cant find his ad :()

jdmXSI
05-26-2010, 02:48 PM
This guy will do it...Iphone guy... (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-phones-PDAs-ipods-iPhone-screen-repair-Done-today-in-20-minutes-403-613-2013-W0QQAdIdZ207512523)

Here is his add. made me lol...

iphone 3g 3gs screen repair broken scratched smashed cracked damaged glass lcd ipad

Apple will charge you $300..... I'll do it beautifully for $89!

Call or text Ty the iPhone guy @ 403-613-2013

I've worked on and fixed HUNDREDS of phones!

OEM Original Apple parts.

Mobile service available

I'm a stay at home Dad and i am available pretty much anytime, so please call now!

THREE options!

1. You drop off and pick up the phone at my house. Done in 20 minutes - $89 ($99 for 3GS)

2. Rush service, i come to you RIGHT NOW and fix your phone on the spot $119 ($129 for 3GS)

3. I drive to your house, make you dinner, fix your phone over dessert, give you a footrub while we watch Family Guy, and tuck you in for the night. $999 (same price for 3GS)

Satisfaction guarantee!

I really do appreciate your business and offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee! You'll love getting your phone back in your hands so quickly and in perfect working condition.

I look forward to earning your business and I hope to fix your cracked/scratched/broken/smashed iphone for you. I also do LCD replacement if needed, please inquire for pricing.

iPod touch - lcd and screen replacement

Second and Third generation:

Top glass/touch screen: $99
LCD: $99
Both: $159

Kobe
05-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by spike98
I fix them. I fix a LOT of them. Order a screen kit from ebay as they are the cheapest and do it yourself.

Really they are very easy if you take your time.

You going to be in Calgary any time soon?

Originally posted by flamboyant
Or if your lazy like me, scared that you might break something, or hate waiting for the parts, you can get it fixed from Iphix for $99 (theres a cheaper iphone repair guy on kijiji then this overpriced iphix bs, but i cant find his ad :()

I'll look for him, any experience with this guy?

spike98
05-26-2010, 03:11 PM
No sorry i wont be but i will ship it back next day if you want to ship it.

There is some piss poor reviews on beyond about this iphix dewd so i dont know if i would take my chances.

The kijiji guy i have never heard of so i can account for his reputation.

EvolizePhoto
05-26-2010, 03:23 PM
All you need is a small suction cup :D

spike98
05-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by EvolizePhoto
All you need is a small suction cup :D

The hardest part is using a blow drier to seperate the midframe from the screen itself.

Here is how you repair it:

1. Remove 2 bottom screws by charging port
2. Use small suction cup places just above home button to lift the screen
3. Remove #1, #2, and #3 ribbon cables in that order. (carefully! they may tear)
4. Un do screws holding LCD frame onto midframe and remove LCD/frame carefuly to not damage.
5. Heat midframe/screen with heat gun till hot and remove all the peices of glass
6. Clean excess glue off midframe minding the rubber dust seal
7. Apply ready cut adhisive strips from kit
8. Press on screen (dont forget the digitizer ribbon, it gets in the way)
9. Snap in and screw in LCD/frame assembly
10. Attach ribbon cables #3, #2, and #1 in that order
11. Place full assembly ear peice end in first and snap in home button end.
12. Install two bottom screws
13. Drink beer

aaronck
05-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Off topic question, but I had my Touch fixed a few months ago, and the WIFI just stopped working-it it something that could have possibly come disconnected?

spike98
05-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by aaronck
Off topic question, but I had my Touch fixed a few months ago, and the WIFI just stopped working-it it something that could have possibly come disconnected?

If the you can find signals but cant connect its a software issue. If the wifi searchs and finds nothing it very well could be a hardware issue. However, to open it up without breaking it is a daunting task. Its almost a given that you will crack the glass. There is no screws holding it in, just plastic tabs attached to the midframe. If you are going to take it apart make sure you use a PLASTIC trim removal tool and you are VERY carefull.

Kobe
05-26-2010, 04:27 PM
No sorry i wont be but i will ship it back next day if you want to ship it.

There is some piss poor reviews on beyond about this iphix dewd so i dont know if i would take my chances.

The kijiji guy i have never heard of so i can account for his reputation.

I'd be interested in this, you seem to know what your talking about, I am def not going to be trying this myself if I can get it fixed for $100

I'll try to find a backup rogers phone for a few days and I could ship it to you.. Would I have to buy the part on ebay first for u?

v2kai
05-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
The inside of my iphone screen is cracked and apple said it only takes about 1minute to fix but they charge $240 for it, has anyone ever had there iphone fixed by someone here in Calgary and it was successful with no problems?

I used to fix cellphones and personal electronics in my spare time (iphones, cracked glass, cracked LCDs, other component failure, housing swaps, board trace repairs, water damage, the works), problem is these days i seem to have zero spare time so I just let it die off and now only fix the odd phone for friends/family and word of mouth recommendation.

I really appreciated your gesture with your heli payment so if you need an experienced hand to do this for you I dont mind fixing it for you for pretty much the cost of the part. I know it might seem odd for your initial gesture of $5 lol but the principle goes a long way.

Shoot me PM if you still need help. Cheers

Karma FTW:thumbsup:

flamboyant
05-26-2010, 04:33 PM
The guy from kijiji as jdmXSI stated is okay. I had my bro's iphone fixed by him once. no problems after fixed and no screw ups

Kobe
05-26-2010, 04:37 PM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130339343058

Just bought this..

flamboyant
05-26-2010, 04:39 PM
oman2slow. :(

anyways good luck getting your phone fixed :thumbsup:

dragonone
05-26-2010, 05:29 PM
this was all over the net couple days ago:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20005801-233.html

dollarbillz
05-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Try this guy the Cell Phone Doctor

403-975-6744

Reputable used to work outta the repair center in rogers on 32nd ave and will even include warranty on his work. i believe his website is http://www.cellphonedoctor.ca/

G-ZUS
05-26-2010, 07:10 PM
dont take it to abdul who fixes them out of his dollar store on memorial drive :rofl:

msommers
05-26-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm sure Super_Geo knows a guy ;)

Kobe
05-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks guys v2kai said he will do it for me if I get the part :)

ixlr8
05-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI

Call or text Ty the iPhone guy @ 403-613-2013

I've worked on and fixed HUNDREDS of phones!

OEM Original Apple parts.

Mobile service available

I'm a stay at home Dad and i am available pretty much anytime, so please call now!

I can vouch for his work. Done super quick, looks and works perfectly; seemed like a really standup guy too, zero slimeball factor.

core_upt
06-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Hi,

Just figured I'd bump this instead of posting a new thread. Here's my iPhone issue:

The other day I got the phone a little wet - stupid, I know - it wasn't submerged but sat is a little water that got into the case it was ine.

It was still on, so I turned it off immediately, though the screen was dark and barely legible, and let it sit in a bowl or rice for three days. I then plugged it into a wall charger, It appeared to be charging, but then when I checked back after 45 minutes or so, the battery scale didn't move, it just sat with the minimal red line and the screen was still dark.

I tried a hard reset (holding the home and sleep buttons for 10 seconds). The phone would turn off, but not recharge. Screen still dark. Phone didn't respond to the vibrate switch either.

I then plugged in to my Mac via USB. Same result, and the mac didn't pick up the phone being connected. After a few tries and resets, the computer picked up the phone and the battery started taking a charge. The screen was still very dark, but once the battery charged, the phone was fully functional - phone calls, text, web, all apps, everything worked aside from being hard to read.

Now after a few days of usage, here is where the phone sits. The phone is fully functional. The screen is still very dark but totally responsive to touch. The battery drains quickly, way quicker than before the water incident.

I am wondering if the poor battery life is part of the screen being misfunctioning? Will replacing the screen fix this or is it better to replace both?

It seems like the glass is fine, digitizer is fine, but the LCD is fucked and is killing the battery? Possible?

Thoughts?

spike98
06-15-2010, 09:50 AM
You phone is pooched my friend. Take it into apple and get the $250 refurb.

core_upt
06-15-2010, 10:31 AM
You phone is pooched my friend. Take it into apple and get the $250 refurb.

you figure it's a mobo issue??

v2kai
06-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by core_upt

you figure it's a mobo issue??

in most cases of water damage the batt is what goes. but if juice was flowin through your electronics the board could be fried too but usually you'd get no responsiveness. before going the route of forking out 250 bucks for a refurb, try swapping in a new battery or if you have a friend with an iphone swap mobos and then lcds and see how it performs. for a couple bucks it worth a shot and if you've got a friend with one you can swap components over and save you having to buy anything.

it is possible the LCD is damaged and draining your batt. until someone tries the process of elimination or actually looks at your phone it's all speculation.

or if you dont want the hassle and have lots of money, buy the refurb. also i might add, once you've water damaged it, even if it seems you've fixed it and replacing the lcd seems to fix it there's no guarantee. It may randomly shit the bed in 2 days or 2 years or may be good indefinitely.

core_upt
06-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Time heals all wounds! or at least mine.
iPhone started working perfect again last night - no screen issues, no battery issues!

apple ftw!!

sabad66
06-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Dropped my phone last night, bottom half of the touch screen was no longer responsive. Called that Tyler dude mentioned above and drove down to his house and within 20 minutes had a brand new screen/digitizer for $90 installed. Would definitely recommend him if you need a new screen or digitizer.