PDA

View Full Version : Rally Questions

THE GOVERNATOR
12-12-2003, 11:05 AM
How Does One get into rally racing?
is there any special perceger that you have to do to register?

i'm just wondering cause theres suprisingly alot of people into rally racing so like what kind of cars are you supposed to use are there any special requirements needed in your car besides a helmet?:dunno:

T5_X
12-12-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by THE GOVERNATOR
perceger

I'm not usually a spelling nazi, but hahahahahahaha you're wayyyy off

alloroc
12-12-2003, 12:39 PM
Start with TRD (navigational rallying)

No helmet

need a car some safety equipment a willing navigator and lots of caffeine for the overnighters.

http://www.bishop.ab.ca/CSCC/rally.html

http://www.bishop.ab.ca/CSCC/TSD.htm

hjr
12-12-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

No helmet
- WRONG

Alright, Im probably not the resisdent Rally Guru on this site, but I am pretty sure I'm the only person who actually does it on this board, so take what i say as my opinion (coming from a guy who does it).

Take you car on some TSD's to get the feel of taking corners at speed. You dont need much for equipment so its a cheap alternative. When you have done a few, and are still interested in a major step up financially, then keep your eyes open for a prepared car that is reasonably cheap. If you have any questions about the car, feel free to ask me. If you try and build a car that you own into a rally car it will cost you around 5000 bucks. Its VEY hard to get under that number. There area LOTS of used rally cars for sale under that price all the time.

What makes the car so expensive is the cage. You need a FULL roll cage to be built into the car. Take my word for it, You are more than likely to need it as a novice driver. There are numerous other safty items needed which add up quite quickly. You also need to spend a lot to be qualified to rally race. (rally liscense, club membership, first aid, doctor's check-up).

From experience, you want to have a car that you wont commit suicide if it gets totalled. I have destroyed my car in almost every way possible (front suspension, rear suspension, driveline, engine, body, wheels...) and kept it going until this last rally. so i got 5 good learning rallies out of my car before i totalled it. Im kinda depressed that i have to start all over again (finding and preping a car), but its rallying and you have to get used to the fact that every race your out there could be the LAST for the car.

Now im not trying to turn you off of the sport as its lots of fun and its a great community to be involved in, but i feel you should know the facts before you get started.

Here is a little budget i have put together... and this is on the cheap

per race -

-350-400 entry fee
-90-200 trailer rental
-100+ gas for tow vehicle
-60+ gas for car
-55-120 1or 2 days accomidation
---------------
= a lot. add it up yourself, and remeber, this is PER EVENT. I did not include price of you car, your safty equipment, all the 1 time stuff. this is the everytime stuff.

THE GOVERNATOR
12-12-2003, 03:49 PM
expensive lol yea i doubt i will enter into this i was jus a little courious bout how this all works

4wheeldrift
12-12-2003, 06:08 PM
The first thing you have to do is get your CARS (Canadian Association of Rally Sport) license. To ger your license you need to have a valid first aid certificate, complete a physical and be a member of a CARS affiliated club (such as the Calgary Sports Car Club). Once you've got your license, you'll need a car. As HJR said, this is typically a big cash outlay up front to get going. After that, you can start rallying, which requires even more cash.

Altezza
12-12-2003, 06:17 PM
I know of a Subaru Group N car for sale if you're interested. Also got access to a seam welded frame w/body from a 99' Impreza.

hjr
12-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Altezza
I know of a Subaru Group N car for sale if you're interested. Also got access to a seam welded frame w/body from a 99' Impreza. And an Open class Focus??? Sorry to hear the team is shut down. I only wish i could afford a Grp N WRX!!!

THE GOVERNATOR
12-13-2003, 03:41 AM
lol cant afford anything like that lol my i can slide him my rx-7 with a blowmotor

speedracer
12-13-2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by THE GOVERNATOR
expensive lol yea i doubt i will enter into this i was jus a little courious bout how this all works

The best place is to volunteer - you get to meet all the teams in the backgound. Meet the locals that compete and how the prepare for the races...

There are a ton of things to win :)

http://www.bishop.ab.ca/CSCC

The best place for info

alloroc
12-13-2003, 02:10 PM
I said ...

You said

Originally posted by hjr
- WRONG

Take you car on some TSD's to get the feel of taking corners at speed. You dont need much for equipment so its a cheap alternative. When you have done a few, and are still interested in a major step up financially, .....

Huh?

I forgot to add that getting into the autrocross meets the cscc puts on is also a good way to start learning the skills needed to keep your car on the road.

speedracer
12-13-2003, 03:15 PM
Huh?

The info posted is brief and does not paint the true picture.

TRD is the best stage to learn as there are many folks who just jump the next step and get a few more surprises than they bargain from.

Really the best place to ask and discuss is

http://cscc.speedracer.ca/ :D

hjr
12-13-2003, 03:38 PM
sorry alloroc, i was mistaking autocross with TDS for a minute there. You need a helmet in atuo (rally) cross, but not in TSD. My bad. Disregard...

Altezza
12-13-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by hjr
And an Open class Focus??? Sorry to hear the team is shut down. I only wish i could afford a Grp N WRX!!!

LOL...the 2 Open Class Focus rally vehicles belong to the US Air Force Reserve. Not to worry...a new team is starting up :thumbsup: