PDA

View Full Version : Process Piping Drafting @ SAIT

JohnnyBlaze
05-27-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm interested in applying for the PPD fast track program at SAIT and was wondering if anyone has taken the course.

Is the program hard to get into? How easy was it to find work after finishing the program?

Any insight is appreciated.

JohnnyBlaze
06-02-2010, 02:49 PM
anyone have any input?

Cos
06-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Our work hires drafters and such. Most take the 2 year course though. I would say right now (or at least 6 months ago) it was 90% piping or people related to large projects that require piping that were getting laid off.

Beyond that I know the few drafters we have with us do well for themselves.

Phenix
06-02-2010, 03:10 PM
ya most of our drafters have 2 year programs under them too

spike98
06-02-2010, 03:15 PM
We hired a kid that took that course and he spent his days scanning drawings untill he quit. I also work for a company that you just dont quit.

From what i hear, and have seen is that the fast track program may, in many cases, get your foot in the door. But you will still have to take the 2 year diploma anyways.

Dont waste your time.

nj2Type-S
06-02-2010, 03:43 PM
i took the 2 year EDDT program at SAIT. what really pissed me off was that SAIT told me that companies would hire the EDDT graduates over the fast-track process piping graduates...uuhhh, no. before the recession, most of the people that i was working with took the fast-track program.

to answer your question, you can find work with the fast-track certificate.

spike98
06-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
before the recession, most of the people that i was working with took the fast-track program.

Thats because they needed everyone. Now that jobs are sparce and the market is flooded with talet, the hiring standards are tighter.

JfuckinC
06-02-2010, 04:08 PM
I took the fast track course and i'm a lead 3D Designer now.... and i'm only 22... Schools school. If you can work and understand what you're doing, have drive and push to be ahead you can do VERY good with it. But honestly right now the industry is stupid slow. So obviously the 2 year course would look better on a resume when companies are looking to hire.

nj2Type-S
06-02-2010, 04:13 PM
^yeah, true. at the end of the day, once you start working, it doesn't really matter whether you finished the 2 year program or the fast-track program. it also depends on how well the economy is when you graduate. when i graduated, it was crazy busy and they'd pull people off the streets to work, lol. now, it's a bit tougher.