PDA

View Full Version : Finish at SAIT or continue at U of C

Aguirre
05-27-2010, 11:44 AM
I just completed my first year of the Business Program (Accounting) at SAIT and am planning to receive my diploma after the second year. Would it be a better idea to start finding a job right away and gain experience OR aim for a CGA/CMA degree at U of C?

Thanks

Gurpy
05-27-2010, 01:18 PM
You can get a CGA through sait. As far as I know going to UofC would be for your CA... Not offering any real advice as I'm not an accountant, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

Aguirre
05-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Okay thanks. So I guess I am basically asking if I should stay with a diploma and gain experience by working right away or stay in school to pursue a degree?

Gurpy
05-28-2010, 03:10 PM
(Again, not an accountant, but here's what I think):

Go with the degree. You're not going to get very far as an accountant with just a diploma, AFAIK. With a CA/CGA/CEGOMOA at least you'll be making a good amount of money (which im guessing is the point of doing something like accounting?)

PeterGTiR
05-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Stay at SAIT: You can get the CGA and CMA prerequisites at SAIT and you would have one year credit for the courses you have already taken. Will the UofC recognize your courses and give you full credit?

SAIT offers an accounting degree that meets all the prerequisites for CGA, CMA and the CA program:

http://sait.ca/pages/cometosait/academic/degrees/abba.shtml

Spatz2
05-28-2010, 07:32 PM
I am currently in the same program as you at sait and have also just finished my first year only diference is my major is finance. From what I know and have heard U of C offers sait students 1 year credit for therr two year diploma which I think is hardly fair, im not sure if U of C takes work experince into consideration when accepting applicants. Im personally choosing to go to Griffith University to receive my business degree. From what I know most of the people and my friends in the BA program at sait are transferring to U of L to get their business degree because they offer BA sait students 2 years of credit. I Hope I answered your question.

.jl-
05-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Spatz2
I am currently in the same program as you at sait and have also just finished my first year only diference is my major is finance. From what I know and have heard U of C offers sait students 1 year credit for therr two year diploma which I think is hardly fair, im not sure if U of C takes work experince into consideration when accepting applicants. Im personally choosing to go to Griffith University to receive my business degree. From what I know most of the people and my friends in the BA program at sait are transferring to U of L to get their business degree because they offer BA sait students 2 years of credit. I Hope I answered your question.

For the one year credit from U of C, is it just for business students or any students with a 2 year diploma from SAIT?

zeus247
05-29-2010, 01:07 AM
Yes, indeed, U of C offers very little credit transfers for SAIT and even some other colleges in Alberta. U of C is not generous at all in transfer credits and they simply want u to spend more on fees to pay at U of C. Go some other unis, such as U of L or U of A or some other unis that would offer u more transfer credits, dont waste yr time taking courses that u have taken before! Its simply a waste of time and money!

.jl-
05-29-2010, 11:19 AM
oic. I was thinking of MRU or UoC. Do they look at your sait marks or your high school marks?

Canmorite
05-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Spatz2
I am currently in the same program as you at sait and have also just finished my first year only diference is my major is finance. From what I know and have heard U of C offers sait students 1 year credit for therr two year diploma which I think is hardly fair, im not sure if U of C takes work experince into consideration when accepting applicants.

I looked into it after SAIT (Majored in Finance) and it was nearly 1 1/2 years of upgrading just to start in year 3 at U of C :thumbsdow

zeus247
05-30-2010, 01:52 AM
Like i mentioned before, U of C simply wants u to take extra courses there and spend more money there! furthermore, U of C is simply not flexible at all in allowing to major outside of the Business school and most are only allowed one major within the business school unless u have exceptional high GPA!

Go somewhere else to get yr degree if u want one!

U of C will look at yr SAIT grades and not so much on yr high school grades once u have post-grad qualifications, same with most unis.