PDA

View Full Version : '02 Acura TL-s transmission issues and question

Axe
05-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Looking for some knowledgeable feedback on transmission symptoms. Have done seach in Beyond but didn't get anything. I'll apologize in advance for the non-technical description...

scenario:
5 speed auto with sportshift.
Tranny was rebuilt (not replaced) in October 2009 at 93,000km
Currently 103,000km on engine.

I have read the Acura transmission is/was the achilles tendon of the car and am interested in Members' thoughts.

Issues: 5 speed automatic with a sportshift feature. Symptoms happen when i am in the "drive" position and not using the manual sportshift.
1. level or slight incline, doing between 80-90kph, before upshifting from 4th to 5th the engine revs about 500rpm upwards before upshifting, upshifts and then the rpm goes down and levels off.

2. Between 80-100kph in 4th or 5th when depress gas approx halfway the rpm will climb about 400-600 but that does not seem to translate into any power going to the wheels; engine just seems to rev. Then it downshifts and power comes to wheels.

3. When going into reverse it takes 3 seconds (consistently) for the reverse gear to engage. If i step on gas prior to then it feels like the transmission is slipping.

Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated. I am taking the care back to Quality transmission tomorrow for a test drive and to see what they say (they are the ones' that rebuilt the original). Thoughts to approaches with them would be great...

Thanks All

Xtrema
05-27-2010, 01:22 PM
If you don't answer here, try Acurazine. Honda 5-speed auto from 98 to 2002 are known to be problematic (hence the rebuilt).

benyl
05-27-2010, 01:25 PM
I thought the honda transmissions got an extended warranty to 160,000 kms?

Axe
05-27-2010, 02:10 PM
i've just read to 100k or 6 years. I'll do a little more digging there...

Xtrema
05-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I thought the honda transmissions got an extended warranty to 160,000 kms?

7 years. Which for most affected vehicles has expired.

My tenant bought an 02 Odessey and inherit a $2K tranny job. I won't recommend anyone buying any American made V6 Auto Honda/Acura from those years.

240SXLUV
05-27-2010, 03:35 PM
QUOTE<2. Between 80-100kph in 4th or 5th when depress gas approx halfway the rpm will climb about 400-600 but that does not seem to translate into any power going to the wheels; engine just seems to rev. Then it downshifts and power comes to wheels.

3. When going into reverse it takes 3 seconds (consistently) for the reverse gear to engage. If i step on gas prior to then it feels like the transmission is slipping.>

Had the same car with same symptoms before.Transmission didnt react as it is told to. Reverse gear would intermitently slip for few seconds before engage and then it wouldnt back up at all.

The bill for replacement was $6,300(4 years ago @ local Acura Stealership) Got it done under extended warranty.

U might wanna start looking for trans, or talk to a stealer.

Axe
05-27-2010, 03:52 PM
If it hadn't just been rebuilt, I would expect these issues, but given that there is less than 10k on the rebuilt transmission, I don't think (and maybe I'm naive) that these issues should be happening.

My approach with Quality will be the same - with less than 10k on the rebuilt, there should be no issues. The only other things i have read that it might be are the solenoid or the ECU...

tentacles
05-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

7 years. Which for most affected vehicles has expired.

My tenant bought an 02 Odessey and inherit a $2K tranny job. I won't recommend anyone buying any American made V6 Auto Honda/Acura from those years.

It's funny because the entire car is made in the US except for the transmission, which is shipped from Japan.

Xtrema
05-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by tentacles

It's funny because the entire car is made in the US except for the transmission, which is shipped from Japan.

I thought it was made in Ohio.

http://www.ohio.honda.com/manufacturing/htm.cfm

Kloubek
05-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Axe
If it hadn't just been rebuilt, I would expect these issues, but given that there is less than 10k on the rebuilt transmission, I don't think (and maybe I'm naive) that these issues should be happening.

Several years back I had a Lincoln Mark VIII which blew a tranny. I had it rebuilt, and it died a week later. Had it rebuilt again, and it started slipping again. Got them to rebuilt it AGAIN, and then sold the car.

The tranny is only as good as the rebuilder in any given case, and I think maybe it was rebuilt poorly?

It is very unfortunate the transmissions around these years were so bad. (In the Accord and Prelude too). Otherwise, a very solid car. My coworker bought the same car (not a type-s though) 3 weeks ago, and hers blew up last week too. Luckily, she was still under dealer warranty.

Good luck man!

911fever
05-27-2010, 06:17 PM
trade it in to a dealer and don't tell them about the issue haha
j/k
looks like your SOL, that's unfortunate. Get it fixed from an independent.

Axe
05-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks very much for the feedback all. Took it in to the shop and they could not duplicate it(of course) - next time i'll go with them. They asked me to come back when the "check engine" light came on after an incident. I am relatively certain i can duplicate the process so the engine light comes on after what appears to be a missed shift and will take it back to them and will post what happens...