PDA

View Full Version : Get your garage broken into in 6 seconds. Or don't.

Kloubek
05-27-2010, 08:56 PM
I found this interesting. I don't have windows on my garage, so finding the latch would be tricky. And even if they do make it in, there is a motion detector. But I figure some people might not realize how easy this could potentially be.

So nice of sites like "lifehacker" to show people exactly how to try to get my shit...

Video (http://lifehacker.com/5549366/how-to-unlock-your-garage-door-from-the-outside-and-how-to-prevent-it?skyline=true&s=i)

AndyL
05-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Pretty specific to Genie brand openers - Liftmaster, Chamberlain, and the older Stanley's generally need a direct downward pull to engage the disconnect.

If you want secure - Wayne Dalton I-Drive's (pretty specific to the wayne dalton torquemaster doors (no visible springs)) and Liftmaster 3800's both positively lock down the door.

Posted a video of the 3800 in action in another thread in home & gardens - you can see/hear the solenoid engage/disengage to lock down the door.

And there are a dozen or so other ways :) to break in through a garage door...

Cos
05-27-2010, 09:45 PM
This is why my man door into my garage is always dead bolted. All your going to get is some tools and a bunch load of oil. At least try to mitigate the risk.

Z_Fan
05-27-2010, 10:08 PM
I can get in to a dead bolted garage in well under 6 seconds. Unless your garage is built with metal studs. Then it might take a bit more effort. But most of those man doors are wood doors with metal panels. So they smash easily.

I was locked out of my garage once - and it pissed me off - so I decided fuck it, I'll kick that shit down. I was *SHOCKED*. One kick, just stepped in to the door with full force, and it bent the metal on the door, ripped the door locks right out of the wood in the door - breaking everything in one fail swoop. Best of all, it made hardly any noise. So, not only was I shocked, but I was annoyed at how easy it was...

Bottom line, if someone wants in your garage, it's easy as pie.

Cos
05-27-2010, 10:14 PM
^^ if you want my hand me down craftsman tools and 6 year old 32" LCD tv you go at it. Haha

I would rather lock my doors and have someone break in and know I did my best (as well as my insurance company know I did) than to just leave everything unlocked because you could get in anyways.

TomcoPDR
05-28-2010, 02:25 AM
Fuck that's what insurance is for... espeically for us regular Joe's... that's right steal my 5+ year old entry level LCD's, scratch my DIY hardwood floor (replacement :D )

UndrgroundRider
05-28-2010, 02:37 AM
I've never been a fan of garages with windows. Out of sight out of mind.

I rent a garage in the NE with well over 100k in tools, cars and car parts in it. It hasn't been broken into once. I just boarded up the windows and put a padlock on the garage door track. Going on 5 years now. Although I will admit, it has been a source of worry for me, so I have been moving stuff to my own garage.

RickDaTuner
05-28-2010, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
I've never been a fan of garages with windows. Out of sight out of mind.

I rent a garage in the NE with well over 100k in tools, cars and car parts in it. It hasn't been broken into once. I just boarded up the windows and put a padlock on the garage door track. Going on 5 years now. Although I will admit, it has been a source of worry for me, so I have been moving stuff to my own garage.

The NE you say... 100k... O'rly

Xtrema
05-28-2010, 08:46 AM
I hate garages with side doors or windows. Pretty pointless IMO. Both will be boarded up if I ever own one.

Kloubek
05-28-2010, 08:54 AM
Windows are pointless? I don't think so at all - I would love to have natural light come into the garage so I can actually see without having to turn on a light.

Anyway, the design of my opener is not quite the same as in the video, but there was still a potential for a simliar method to be used by snagging the rope.

Fixed.

Yeah, I know it isn't 100% secure. Hell, a rock makes pretty quick work on a window too. But at least if everything is locked andf the alarm is on, I've done my best.

AndyL
05-28-2010, 09:00 AM
99% of residential doors will have polycarbonate/acrylic windows. Been a code requirement since the 80s if I recall correctly. There are of course privacy tints and opaque options so you can get the light without giving up the privacy...

spike98
05-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
I can get in to a dead bolted garage in well under 6 seconds. Unless your garage is built with metal studs. Then it might take a bit more effort. But most of those man doors are wood doors with metal panels. So they smash easily.

I was locked out of my garage once - and it pissed me off - so I decided fuck it, I'll kick that shit down. I was *SHOCKED*. One kick, just stepped in to the door with full force, and it bent the metal on the door, ripped the door locks right out of the wood in the door - breaking everything in one fail swoop. Best of all, it made hardly any noise. So, not only was I shocked, but I was annoyed at how easy it was...

Bottom line, if someone wants in your garage, it's easy as pie.

I had a simlar situation happen to me. Except my front door. The door was a solid wood with aluminum reinforcements. Both the door lock and the dead bolt were professionally installed and were locked.

I was drunk however after a night of drinking rye and arguing with the now ex girlfriend. I took one step back and gave it my entire sholder about 10 above the dead bolt. The deadbolt fucking EXPLODED and flew everywhere. I am not a big man at all, but it took one good one. This was also at 2am and not even a light came on.

After i installed a new door and frame i have 18ga steel reinforcement panels around the lock recepticals on the door and frame with 3 inch screews going into the frame of the house. Its NOT moving anymore haha.

alloroc
05-28-2010, 10:16 AM
If you really want to freak yourself out google "bump keys"

Z_Fan
05-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by spike98
I had a simlar situation happen to me.

Yup. Your picture looks pretty much exactly how my door looked. I'm not that big either. 6'0 and 200lbs. I just walked right through my door with one kick. It was retarded.

I'd bet the average Joe could kick in 90% of the doors on modern housing units/garages. It's a fucking joke. Obviously it's just a deterrent, and not a solution - towards keeping people out. Anyone who wants in, they'll get in...simple as that.

You know, most little shit kids nowadays aren't that creative or determined. They're prowling looking for cars with unlocked doors, wide open garages, unlocked man doors, etc. Easy stuff. I doubt many kids nowadays are packing porcelain and slingshots when they go car prowling. ;-)

RecoilS14
05-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
If you really want to freak yourself out google "bump keys"

Bump keys.... :facepalm:

yeah good luck with those. There is a reason locksmiths have lockpicks. Bump Keys only work in really really shitty locks or ones that are worn out.

alloroc
05-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by RecoilS14

Bump keys.... :facepalm:

yeah good luck with those. There is a reason locksmiths have lockpicks. Bump Keys only work in really really shitty locks or ones that are worn out.

Actually bump keys work better on higher quality and newer locks UK locksmiths have been using them for a while to save time. You try the bump key 3-5 times if it doesn't work then you pull out the picks - or decoder and if it doesn't work you give the lock a shot of graphite before you leave because the tumblers are likely sticky.