PDA

View Full Version : Limited Slip Differential

redbaron303
12-12-2003, 04:37 PM
I was talking with my friend the other day about a new ride that I'm thinking about buying.

The car is equipped w/ tein coilovers, 1.8L turbo motor, and all the goodies.... including a Cusco 2way LSD.

We were discussing how I want to take the race school here in Calgary this spring and such and when I mentioned I had a 2way LSD he was like "dude, that's super tough to learn how to drive"

I'm just wondering why he would say this? I've driven other cars w/ LSD from factory (although probably not 2way).... I'm I getting myself into something where I shouldn't be driving it on the streets or just plain out take it easy?

Let me know what your thoughts are on driving w/ the 2 way lsd...

rage2
12-12-2003, 04:57 PM
Front or Rear wheel drive?

A 2 way LSD basically locks during acceleration and deceleration. The "tricky" part is the locking under deceleration.

On a FWD car, it works really well, allowing razor sharp turn-in for corners, assuming suspension is dialed in properly.

On a RWD car, you lose a small window for error, because when you let off, the ass is gonna come out hardcore haha. You can counter that by tweaking the rear suspension to behave in a way that it doesn't lose traction under heavy deceleration at the limit. This will sacrafice rear traction at the limit though, and make the car really twitchy at the limit.

redbaron303
12-12-2003, 05:00 PM
It's on a boosted RWD lightweight car..... and it's gonna be daily driven... so how's the best way to learn? I guess driving it back from Vancity in the winter isn't the best thing then...

So I should be expecting to be driving a drift machine.... haha :)

JAYMEZ
12-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Where are you takeing the course and how much? i want to do that with my car , sounds like fun

thich
12-12-2003, 05:36 PM
Race City offers them through the Calgary Sports Car Club iirc...

rage2
12-12-2003, 05:36 PM
CSCC/Race City holds a yearly 2 day course at race city.

Jay pringle holds courses too, once a month during the summer I think. He's the guy that runs our beyond track days along with Fuji.

Of course, you can show up to one of our lapping days, speak with Jay, and get a quick 1 day's beginner's course right there and then. That'll be the cheapest solution.

After completing one of these courses, $100 gets you 4 hours of lapping. I think last year we held about 5 track nights.

redbaron303
12-12-2003, 05:38 PM
:)

Which one is the best course Rage? Which one will help me learn how to use this LSD so I don't kill myself.

rage2
12-12-2003, 05:40 PM
The 2 full courses would be your best bet. The day courses are good if you have some level of experience, ie Solo2.

redbaron303
12-12-2003, 05:43 PM
I've done some autox here in Edmonton. That's about it.

Which ones will also get me onto the beyond.ca lapping days so I can come cruise the road course?

rage2
12-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Any one of 'em.