PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Honda?

heavyD
05-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Toyota isn't the only Japanese manufacturer that has issues. A pretty decent article about how Honda has lost some of it's 90's magic;

http://www.autoobserver.com/2010/05/whats-wrong-at-honda-maybe-everything.html

What's Wrong At Honda? Maybe Everything
May 26, 2010

It's unusual for Honda Motor Co. Ltd. to deviate from its rigid model-replacement schedule, 2010 Honda Civic Si Coupe - front on shot - 270.JPGparticularly for its bread-and-butter volume models such as the Civic. But that's just what the company is doing with the planned Civic replacement, pushing back the car's introduction from this fall until sometime next year.

The next-generation Civic apparently was not on competitive target - and Honda sent it back to the garage for some tinkering. Although some analysts and industry insiders think Honda's choice to rejigger the Civic is a positive signal, the fact the Civic has to go back to the drawing board at such a late stage speaks plenty about how far Honda has drifted from its once-indomitable methods.

Honda, which always used to be so good at having its finger on the pulse of the buying public seemingly has exhausted its famed product-development mojo. Yes, the cars - including the now almost 5-year-old Civic - still sell. The company reversed losses from the global industry downturn and for the fiscal year that ended in March recorded a $2.9-billion profit, a 96-percent surge. Honda maintains a top-drawer quality reputation.

Yet analysts, industry watchers and even Honda loyalists continue to murmur the company is losing its legendary edge for forward-looking engineering and an uncanny ability to apply that engineering in a way that delights customers.

John Wolkonowicz, manager of special projects for the IHS Global Insight North American auto forecasting group, said the reputation Honda earned in the 1980s and 1990s has allowed the company to hover above recent reality in the eyes of the car-buying public.

"The Honda name is still the gold standard in the industry," Wolkonowicz told AutoObserver. "But the fact is, they really seem to have lost it."

Edmunds.com analyst Ivan Dury says sales Honda, so far, has averted a dramatically precipitous sales slide. Still, consumer shopping consideration for Honda has been down in the first quarter this year at a time when one would expect it to be up in light of rival Toyota's troubles. "Honda's situation has the ingredients for a potentially tragic sales slide. If Honda keeps piling on incentives and sales remain flat or slip, we'll have another story on our hands."

Civic Delay: Hitting Corporate Reset Button
The company delayed the Civic because whatever it had planned for the past four years now isn't right. Now the off-message product-development course seems to have reached the top chair.

President Takanobu Ito seemed to confirm at last month's Beijing auto show that he's aware Honda has lost a step or three, suggesting the company's engineering and marketing may have become "complacent," and adding his displeasure over the company's loss of U.S. market share in the first quarter this year.

The Civic engineering team may have been scared straight by a rash of new-model miscues that have left its development acumen in question. For one, it had planned the now-delayed Civic to be larger, but many critics contend that's one of Honda's prime problems: the company has been subsituting size for innovation in - the latest-generation Accord being the chief example.

More directly, another engorged Civic probably wouldn't compare favorably with the 40 miles-per-gallon highway fuel-economy numbers of new models entering the market, including Ford Motor Co.'s 2011 Fiesta and General Motors Co.'s 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. The best a conventionally powered current-generation Civic can manage is 36 mpg on the highway (the slow-selling Civic Hybrid whirrs out 45-mpg highway rating).

But the reasons Honda delayed the Civic run deeper than just proportions or fuel economy.

"The story here is the new products are not up to par," notes Edmunds.com's Drury. "The redesign of the Civic - one of Honda's three core products along with the Accord and CR-V -- could spell disaster if they get it wrong."

Drury notes Honda's trio of three core models make up more than two-thirds of the brand's sales volume.

"I think they looked at the competition the next-generation Civic will face and realized they weren't top of the heap on several fronts," said Wolkonowicz. He thinks almost all of Honda's recently launched models - including those of its Acura premium-car division - have not been up to the standards of the past, by either engineering or styling measures.

Nonetheless, the Civic delay represents "very positive news for Honda," Wolkonowicz said, adding that the company stopping the Civic program in its tracks seems to be a signal Honda is acknowledging its corporate drift.

"This is the most encouraging news of all," he continued, saying the delay of the Civic is an all-too-rare admission from Honda that the next Civic "isn't perfect, like they (perceive) everything they've done before. I don't think they would have done this five years ago."

But, he cautioned of the Civic delay: "I hope it's a more effective use of a year than Toyota got with the Corolla," when it delayed the U.S. launch of the current-generation Corolla from 2007 until 2008. Toyota said the delay was due to scarce engineering resources and to insure quality, but speculation proposed the launch was postponed to tweak bland styling and other competitive attributes.

Backsliding While Competition Is Gaining
Honda's top-of-the-heap standing for compact cars and midsize family sedans has been assailed on several fronts, most notably from the surging Hyundai/Kia conglomerate - but also from a revitalized Ford and General Motors Co.

But Honda's worst enemy recently seems to have been itself.
Wolkonowicz and other industry analysts point to many of the vehicles Honda and Acura currently have on the road as evidence of the company's foundering ways. Wolkonowicz said Honda's product-development backsliding has led to a "string of losers" after Honda spent years developing what many believed were cars with the best engineering-per-dollar value in the entire industry.

Another analyst said many recently launched Hondas are "sloppily designed, not very good to drive and even worse to look at."

All of those shots could apply to the Insight hybrid-electric vehicle, a car designed to 2010 Honda Insight vs 2010 Toyota Prius - 275.JPGshowcase Honda's technical ability - and prospectively go head-to-head with Toyota's dominating Prius hybrid. But the company's still licking its wounds from the dismal response to the year-old Insight, which came to market with dumpy styling, unexceptional fuel economy and a thorough cheapness in appointments and driving feel.

Customers seem to agree: the Insight found just 6,853 buyers in the first four months of this year, a sales pace that is a fraction of what Honda projected. "It's really not a very good car," IHS Global Insight's Wolkonowicz declared.

There is little reason to believe the Honda CR-Z hybrid coupe derived from the Insight, going2011 Honda CR-Z EX - exterior.JPG

on sale in the U.S. this fall, will be any better; European enthusiast-magazine reviews have been politely noncommittal but cannot completely avoid giving the impression the CR-Z, if at least more engagingly styled than the Insight, also is a dud to drive.

Acura Struggles
The waning performance of the Acura upscale division is the topic of almost constant industry speculation, as Acura seems to further alienate its devoted buyers and produce few new ones, searching for a positioning strategy for its front-wheel-drive based luxury cars and crossovers. The brand abandoned its popular (and volume-selling) coupe, its flagship sells in the low hundreds of units monthly and critics insist each new generation of Acura is inferior to the model it replaces.

Edmunds.com's Drury points out that Acura is in the same situation as Honda, relying largely on a few vehicles for the bulk of its volume. The MDX, TL and TSX account for 87 percent of Acura sales. Sales of its other models - RL, ZDX and RDX - are "lukewarm."

Styling Miscues
Honda also has pulled the trigger on a string of stylistic dogs. The original Pilot crossover was bland but fit with the times, but the second-generation Pilot, launched in 2008, looked tired and passe before the first one was sold.

AutoObserver's comment at the time gives perspective to Honda's decision to delay the new Civic: "Launching the new Pilot exposes one of the Japan Inc.'s only flaws: reluctance to backtrack once a course has been set. Maybe after gauging the early reaction, if somebody with power had been able to say, 'This stinks, and we need to try again -- even if it means delaying our precious launch timetable,' the Pilot might have been redeemed."

The styling of the Accord Crosstour has endured near-universal disdain, the aging Ridgeline and Element have never been considered anything other than ugly ducklings and just about every vehicle in Acura's lineup is fanatically unattractive.

It's The Engineering, Stupid
But styling is subjective - and in the case of many esteemed brands, vehicles sell well despite weak or even off-putting styling.

Honda's real problem seems to come from the last place anyone - including those within the company - would expect: unconfident engineering.

For some time, Honda hasn't delivered much of the kind of innovation that once was baked into every new generation of vehicle it launched. Even the hardest of hardcore Honda fanboys admit it: from decisions like discarding double-wishbone front suspension for the Civic to wedging a V6 under the hood of the already too-fat new Acura TSX, Honda's answers of late seem to be little more than me-too solutions.

Honda was the first automaker to introduce a hybrid-electric electric vehicle in the U.S. - but quickly and gave away its leadership to Toyota. How? By sticking with the "mild" hybrid strategy of its Integrated Motor Assist technology, effectively backing the wrong engineering horse. Honda gambled the less-complex and less-expensive mild-hybrid approach - inserted into existing models - was the way to go with hybrids. With the Prius and its more-efficient full-hybrid engineering and a dedicated hybrid styling, Toyota blew past Honda and has never looked back.

And what of Honda's unparalleled reputation for engine advances? The company has assiduously avoided the direct-injection fueling that's fast becoming a standard for other makers. Honda backed away from a plan to make diesel engines one of Acura's technical calling cards.

While rival automakers are turning to high technology to generate more power from smaller engines - once a Honda forte - Honda's march has been to simply make its engines larger (insiders already are saying one change to come from the Civic's delay will be the move to a high-tech "downsized" engine). Other makers have bypassed Honda even in its area of perpetual engine leadership: advanced valvetrain designs.

Honda had long been able to claim being the U.S. market's fuel-economy leader. Hyundai stole away that badge last year.

The same week it acknowledged the plan to re-engineer the Civic, Honda also confirmed a second delay in the production timeline for its high-profile HondaJet corporate jet. HondaJet production now is scheduled for mid 2012, two years later than originally promised.

"It's not going to be so easy for Honda anymore," to maintain its engineering reputation, Wolkonowicz said. "Honda had a kind of superiority complex for many years. It became part of the internal culture. They need to do some soul-searching." - Bill Visnic, Senior Editor

TorqueDog
05-29-2010, 02:14 PM
I have no idea what Honda was thinking with the Acura brand. They went from being very sharp and attractive cars, to being absolutely hideous. Usually a car's design will grow on me, but not the Acura range.

MGCM
05-29-2010, 02:18 PM
I hate to say it but I'm more attracted to new Hyundai's than I am to new Honda's or Toyota's.

Skyline_Addict
05-29-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm one of those hardcore Honda fan boys, and I'll admit, unless Acura comes out with something that can bring that edge to its line-up (like the Integras did), then I'll be looking elsewhere for my next daily-driver purchase.

The Hondas of the late 90s and early 2000s will always be endearing though.

Xtrema
05-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by MGCM
I hate to say it but I'm more attracted to new Hyundai's than I am to new Honda's or Toyota's.

Honda and Toyota are humbled by the progress of Hyundai.

Honda and Toyota gained ground during the down fall of the domestics. Hyundai will never have that advantage and will fight hard for its piece, and it shows.

Meanwhile, Honda and Toyota has been ran by accountants. There is nothing fun about them any more.

The fact that they think Civic needs to be bigger again is insane.

Originally posted by TorqueDog
I have no idea what Honda was thinking with the Acura brand. They went from being very sharp and attractive cars, to being absolutely hideous. Usually a car's design will grow on me, but not the Acura range.

At least it not for lack of trying. Audi took the gamble with the big grill in 2004 and people hated it in the beginning (including myself), now I drive one.

I don't think Acura will has much luck with the new grill but at least they tried.

But what Acura really need is getting back into the sporty car market. SH-AWD is a good system. Now get them into races to get some marketing push. And they need a coupe, bad.

Skyline_Addict
05-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

But what Acura really need is getting back into the sporty car market. SH-AWD is a good system. Now get them into races to get some marketing push. And they need a coupe, bad.

Hopefully that's what the HSV will be, albeit a very unaccessible one.

Xtrema
05-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

Hopefully that's what the HSV will be, albeit a very unaccessible one.

NSX is Acura's Audi R8 moment. Just sucks that they couldn't follow up with the momentum.

rc2002
05-29-2010, 09:16 PM
That article is long overdue. Honda has steadily gone downhill since the late 90's. This decline has a strong correlation with the development and assembly of these cars in North America.

The Honda fanboys who are still in denial are laughable. They remind me of Apple fanboys.

FiveFreshFish
05-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Late 80s to early 90s was Honda's golden age.

slinkie
05-30-2010, 08:50 PM
cars are getting too regulated, weight- and emission-wise, getting retarded

Cos
05-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
cars are getting too regulated, weight- and emission-wise, getting retarded

Other companies seem to be figuring out how to build nice cars. Mustang, Genesis, some BMW and MB's.

Toyota and Honda just are not going after people who like to drive. They gambled that as people who drove those cars got older they would want a camry or accord.

FiveFreshFish
05-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Cars are getting too big. Why does every new generation need to be larger than the previous? I would be happy if the Accord and Civic were still the same size as they were in the early 90s.

I think Honda was one of the first manufacturers to introduce pedestrian protection in their hood design which required 10 cm clearance between the top of the engine and the inside of the hood. This made hoods ridiculously high and dashes were raised by the same proportion.

A-pillars super thick, side view mirrors are twice the size they were 10 years ago, hoods are taller, trunk lids are taller, doors are taller, roof lines are higher, windows are shorter. No wonder you need cameras to park today's cars... you can't see shit.

Dodobird
05-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Cars are getting too big. Why does every new generation need to be larger than the previous? I would be happy if the Accord and Civic were still the same size as they were in the early 90s.

I think Honda was one of the first manufacturers to introduce pedestrian protection in their hood design which required 10 cm clearance between the top of the engine and the inside of the hood. This made hoods ridiculously high and dashes were raised by the same proportion.

A-pillars super thick, side view mirrors are twice the size they were 10 years ago, hoods are taller, trunk lids are taller, doors are taller, roof lines are higher, windows are shorter. No wonder you need cameras to park today's cars... you can't see shit.

Pretty much my thoughts. I can't stand the look of big cars, and I absolutely can't stand driving big cars. Maybe the car companies are cluing in that people themselves are also becoming the size of small houses, and they need to adjust. :dunno:

v2kai
05-30-2010, 11:27 PM

this is exactly why I still love and will stick with my 92 Si hatch until another true sport 'compact' is released. was hoping on the FT-86 but that seems to be getting washed out too:facepalm: they are too big. a civic is now the size of what used to be an accord. that's why you bought an accord if you wanted a bigger car now there is no small car selection, i guess the s2k was a decent size but the they killed that and the rest of the lineup is bloated.

maybe honda is too busy dumping money into asimo:dunno:

and toyota is broke from the LFA

heavyD
05-31-2010, 07:22 AM

The current Civic already is just as large as an early 90's Accord so yeah I don't understand myself. I mean there's a reason it's the compact segment and not the mid-size segment. My Lancer is a big car for crying out loud. It's just catering to Americans that have never met a big car they didn't like. I do prefer a smaller nimble car myself but as the article suggests it's safer to make the car big than to innovate.

911fever
05-31-2010, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
That article is long overdue. Honda has steadily gone downhill since the late 90's. This decline has a strong correlation with the development and assembly of these cars in North America.

The Honda fanboys who are still in denial are laughable. They remind me of Apple fanboys.

Agreed.

I agree 100% with this article, and I'm employed by Honda.
Very interesting. Acura needs to be totally redesigned - totally redesigned.
Honda needs to go back to the basics, a car that handles well, leads it class in reliability and fuel economy. And they need greater development and design into their cars, not using bland, tired styles like the 2011 Honda Pilot or Ridgeline or Element. And the Insight Hybrid is a huge joke - worse than the Prius, which is absolutely dreadful. They need that sporty characteristic they had in the 90's. Without that happening, the Hyundai's, Kia's of the world will surpass Honda. The Civic SI is the best car they make and its not half as fun to drive as an Integra Type R from the late 90's!

heavyD
05-31-2010, 08:30 AM
When Honda went to front strut suspension at the beginning of the decade you kind of got that feeling that the accountants were making decisions.

Phenix
05-31-2010, 08:47 AM
The NSX wasn't even close to the R8. for it's whole life cycle very few changes were made. only one engine/transmission change, and styling changes. The R8 has already done that and way more in its few years on the market.

I still miss the nsx though

NSX is Acura's Audi R8 moment. Just sucks that they couldn't follow up with the momentum.

Cos
05-31-2010, 09:26 AM
Someone should email this link to the guys making the CRX and FT-86.

Also the wife's Cavalier is the same size as an old Toyota Cressida (was sitting next to one yesterday at a light) which I think was the precursor to the Avalon, which is almost the size of my truck now. :banghead:

Xtrema
05-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Phenix
The NSX wasn't even close to the R8. for it's whole life cycle very few changes were made. only one engine/transmission change, and styling changes. The R8 has already done that and way more in its few years on the market.

I still miss the nsx though

When it debut in 1990, it was priced and position much like the original R8 V8.

And remember that a 1990 Accord only has 130hp. So 270HP is a lot of power back then.

Originally posted by heavyD
When Honda went to front strut suspension at the beginning of the decade you kind of got that feeling that the accountants were making decisions.

Honda claim it's a safety issue. But the double-wishbone front was what set Honda apart from other FWD cars. Yes, most people probably never go the extreme to notice the difference but it was a lost to enthusiasts.

I know both NSX and S2000 are aluminum platform that's expensive to build. But why can't they be the basis of RWD cars for Acura? Just look at how well the FM served Nissan/Infiniti.

heavyD
05-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Honda claim it's a safety issue. But the double-wishbone front was what set Honda apart from other FWD cars. Yes, most people probably never go the extreme to notice the difference but it was a lost to enthusiasts.

Safety issue is accountant speak for "it was cheaper to address with struts". Taking the double whishbone front suspension out made them the same as everyone else and while most wouldn't notice it was a performance advantage Honda held over other FWD platforms and something that set their cars apart from the crowd.

HK2NR
05-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Bout time someone insulted Honda's horrible design/innovation. Honda use to be a humbled company but imho their ego got the best of them, started cranking out civic after civic losing sight of a compact fuel efficient car.

They relied on the d, then b series and now K, with no investment in a strong fuel efficient v6 or even larger engine for their Acura line (which has no distinction from any other honda). They've just barely touched the market with their turbo, done nothing with their supposed diesel, whereas Europeans have seemed to corner that niche market. It's too much of a tease when Honda has press releases on new technology only to be scrapped for a redesigned larger civic.

Like someone posted earlier, their later transmissions are a joke, lacking gears and reliability. GTI's have a great transmission with launch control. Honda's got a civic.... Tough to place 30Gs on less features/power.

:facepalm:

HondaKid
05-31-2010, 11:06 AM
I cannot really disagree with the article, check out the graphs in the article link as informative as anything. It is a challenging time in the automotive world, I would say more so than at any other time in recent memory. You need to build the same vehicles which sell the world over and fit the desires of the differing customers and differing needs. Hard to put out a product appealing to all, who does on a large scale?

Right now if you were in the market for any new vehicle, would it be a Honda or Acura? Other than the Honda Fit in the compact market and value, there is not a car in the line up which is a certain buy.

I am on my second Honda, it has been a terrific car and the best of value for what it is. At the same time I am looking for a second vehicle for 2011 and Honda is not on the radar at all at this time.

We all need to keep in mind Honda sells 98% of their new vehicles to customers who really do not care about anything more than a reliable, well designed, safe and easy on the eye, commuter vehicle. What they made in the past is not what sells today, the world demands change for the times, just ask GM and the other makers who were not able to adapt. Honda is smart, smarter than anyone on this website.

Xtrema
05-31-2010, 11:39 AM
Honda is too stubborn to leverage other suppliers and technologies. Everything in a Honda must be designed by Honda.

They can't compete with that mentality. They finally released a 6AT for Crosstour and ZDX. Where the competitions has been on 7sp for years and going into DSG and 8sp.

Originally posted by HK2NR
They relied on the d, then b series and now K, with no investment in a strong fuel efficient v6 or even larger engine for their Acura line (which has no distinction from any other honda). They've just barely touched the market with their turbo, done nothing with their supposed diesel, whereas Europeans have seemed to corner that niche market. It's too much of a tease when Honda has press releases on new technology only to be scrapped for a redesigned larger civic.

The R series in current Civic is quite competitive with Toyota's 2ZR in Corolla. But it did came 1 generate later.

J series is long in the tooth but still serve its purpose well. J series with VCM is great idea but the problem is they need a CVT or 6+ more gears AT to keep those cylinders off more often to have real gains.

EDIT: Just realize that although I have not own a Honda for 8 years, still a fanboy at heart.

heavyD
05-31-2010, 12:05 PM

They can't compete with that mentality. They finally released a 6AT for Crosstour and ZDX. Where the competitions has been on 7sp for years and going into DSG and 8sp.

Their automatics suck anyway so I don't understand why they don't employ Getrag or Borg Warner to make DSG's for the Accord and Acura lineup at the very least.

Phenix
05-31-2010, 12:08 PM
I wasn't talking hp wise. I was talking the amount of variations coming out for the car.

Although japan did get the nsx R

When it debut in 1990, it was priced and position much like the original R8 V8.

And remember that a 1990 Accord only has 130hp. So 270HP is a lot of power back then.

I know both NSX and S2000 are aluminum platform that's expensive to build. But why can't they be the basis of RWD cars for Acura? Just look at how well the FM served Nissan/Infiniti.

HK2NR
05-31-2010, 01:18 PM
The R series in current Civic is quite competitive with Toyota's 2ZR in Corolla. But it did came 1 generate later.

J series is long in the tooth but still serve its purpose well. J series with VCM is great idea but the problem is they need a CVT or 6+ more gears AT to keep those cylinders off more often to have real gains.

Love the Civic R but again they're scrapping that too. Most of the "jdm goodies" never cross the border for Honda. :(

Can't speak much of the newer J motors, but their econo vtecs in the earlier J series were mated to horribly geared transmissions trying to get somewhat acceptable mileage. But definitely CVT or more gears would make driving a lot more satisfying without gear changes on every little hill.

Barlow
05-31-2010, 01:38 PM
ummmm (hope i spell this right) complacency.

Happens to all market leaders eventually.

HK2NR
05-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Barlow
ummmm (hope i spell this right) complacency.

Happens to all market leaders eventually.

Toyota released the LFA, nissan brought out their R35, Ford has a new 2010 v8 motor for their mustang. It's just honda... plain boring. Even the Koreans introduced their Genesis.

Xtrema
05-31-2010, 02:54 PM

Toyota released the LFA, nissan brought out their R35, Ford has a new 2010 v8 motor for their mustang. It's just honda... plain boring. Even the Koreans introduced their Genesis.

Both none of them have CR-Z!

:facepalm:

911fever
05-31-2010, 03:57 PM

don't forget Toyota's IS-F

Sugarphreak
05-31-2010, 04:12 PM

911fever
05-31-2010, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Honda Fit?

I was out racing my Honda Fit this weekend and I can easily get 40+mpg on the highway and 35mpg around town.

I guess it takes time to determine reliability... so far I have about 50K on mine over 3 years, bolted on all kinds of parts, I race it a dozen or so times a year and aside from oil changes it has never had even a hint of an issue.

Yeah the Fit is good (I sell them), but it has brutal finance rates compared to the competition, and IMO, its one of Honda's most overpriced cars. Honda needs more sporty characteristics, like what they had before in the S2000 and Integra Type R/Prelude. As much as they didn't sell, it allowed people to see Honda as an enthusiast's brand that was quality. Now it's more mediocre stuff.

Redlyne_mr2
05-31-2010, 07:12 PM
Honda was a success in the past because they were ahead of the game. Compare a mid 90s civic to a mid 90s Cavalier or Hyundai tiburon. Manufacturers have improved their vehicles exponentially over the last few years by learning from one another. It's tough to be a leader in todays game because they are all basically one upping one another with each passing year.
Good handling combined with hybrid technology at a competitive price is what will help take Honda over the edge. We'll see if they can do it.

badatusrnames
05-31-2010, 07:25 PM

:werd:

I parked my 300ZX next to a 370Z and noticed this. You can really see this in comparing the two cars (not my picture):

http://www.sfzcc.com/gus/370Z/izzy370z2.jpg

http://www.sfzcc.com/gus/370Z/izzy370z1.jpg

Comparing the 350Z to 90's import sports cars. The Z33 looks pretty bulky:

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/444667648_PWHiA-XL.jpg

Cos
05-31-2010, 07:29 PM
^^ wow I am shocked actually. I always thought the 300 was a HUGE car.

badatusrnames
05-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Cos
^^ wow I am shocked actually. I always thought the 300 was a HUGE car.

Haha, so did I until I bought one. They've got a big road presence. It's just due to the way they're proportioned, as wide as a normal car, but 3/4 of the height.

corsvette
05-31-2010, 09:13 PM
What a timeless design the 300 is,it still looks good,and modern for such a old car.

Back to the Honda debate,between Honda and Toyota it would be hard to pick which one has the best minivan....no kidding they make the best bar none,the Odyssey is the best in class and has been for quite some time,we'll see how the new Sienna compares as it looks like stiff competition.

Sugarphreak
05-31-2010, 09:28 PM

Sugarphreak
05-31-2010, 09:42 PM

InRich
05-31-2010, 09:57 PM
Actually... maybe this thread is bang on, what is wrong with Honda?

This is the what the new 2011 civic is going to look like? :barf:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/28/spy-shots-next-gen-euro-spec-honda-civic-hatchback-caught-playi/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/05/civic-1opt.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/05/civic-5.jpg

actually.... My last tour of Europe was in 07. I saw this honda MANY times... its nothing new. The europeans have had it for years man. its actually not that bad

01RedDX
05-31-2010, 10:59 PM

Xtrema
06-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/444667648_PWHiA-XL.jpg

Replace 350z with FD RX7 and that would be my childhood dream garage.

slinkie
06-01-2010, 01:18 AM
my dream garage...replace them all with fd rx-7

Sugarphreak
06-01-2010, 08:46 AM

Xtrema
06-01-2010, 09:16 AM

It also doesn't change my opinion of it, it looks like a 80's space car or something.

2006-2011 Euro Civic has always been 3 or 5 door hatch.

Other than using Torsion bean live-axle rear suspension, it's actually one of the better Honda offerings.

http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news/14914/honda_civic_type-r-4-L.jpg
http://www.hondacivicpic.com/hondacivic/car/pictures/2010/03/2007-honda-civic-type-r-interior-1280x9603.jpg
http://www.hondacivicpic.com/hondacivic/car/pictures/2010/03/2010-honda-civic-type-r-mugen-front-three-quarter-crop.jpg

911fever
06-01-2010, 09:19 AM
^ that type R civic looks great, however, it doesn't look good from the rear IMO

Xtrema
06-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by 911fever
^ that type R civic looks great, however, it doesn't look good from the rear IMO

Hence, you don't see it in Americas.

If Acura want to keep selling CSXs, it needs THAT interior to set it apart from the Civic.

Aleks
06-01-2010, 09:50 AM
It's too bad they don't sell the hatch Civic here. I think it looks way better than the boring sedans and coupes currently on sale.

Seth1968
06-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Back in 2002 I wanted a new Civic Hatchback, but was told by the dealership that Honda doesn't make them anymore. I settled on a Civic Coupe and have had it ever since with no regret.

A few months ago, I test drove a Fit, but I really didn't like the styling, nor the fact that I'm 6ft tall and couldn't see the front end. It didn't help that financing was 6.9% when the competition was offering 0%-1.9%.

I'm going to be looking for a new basic hatchback, and think I'll go with either the Accent or the Matrix.

rc2002
06-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Back in 2002 I wanted a new Civic Hatchback, but was told by the dealership that Honda doesn't make them anymore. I settled on a Civic Coupe and have had it ever since with no regret.

EP3 was made through 2005. You didn't do your research and the dealership lied.

Seth1968
06-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

EP3 was made through 2005. You didn't do your research and the dealership lied.

Damn, that's a nice hatchback. I thought the Civic hatch was the only hatch that Honda made at the time.

Anyway, it was a salesperson at McFadden Honda in Lethbridge.

Xtrema
06-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

Damn, that's a nice hatchback. I thought the Civic hatch was the only hatch that Honda made at the time.

Anyway, it was a salesperson at McFadden Honda in Lethbridge.

Probably the salesperson can't sell you one because his dealership can't get one due to low allocation.

Sil80_D
06-02-2010, 12:21 AM
god the euro hatch is hideous :barf:
although that interior is really quite spiff...

FD2R for the win... too bad it's being phased out already...

Aleks
06-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Honda had a bad May. Down almost 30% in sales. Hyundai might sell more cars in Canada than Honda very soon.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/06/01/canadian-light-truck-sales-up-car-sales-down-in-may.htm

spikerS
06-02-2010, 11:21 AM
you know, it was kinda funny, i remember in the '80s people complaining that Honda's were made from tin cans and such. I never led much credence to it until the other day, and I saw this...

Bah, I can't find it.

basically it shows a Honda tech finishing off a can of pop, toss it into the recycle bin, they crush it, melt them down and cast an engine block out of it, and put it into a new car.

I just had to laugh!

jwslam
06-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by spikers
you know, it was kinda funny, i remember in the '80s people complaining that Honda's were made from tin cans and such. I never led much credence to it until the other day, and I saw this...

Bah, I can't find it.

basically it shows a Honda tech finishing off a can of pop, toss it into the recycle bin, they crush it, melt them down and cast an engine block out of it, and put it into a new car.

I just had to laugh!

I can't find another source for the vid
the upper one on this page
http://www.marketingmag.ca/english/creative/featuredcampaign/article.jsp?content=20100430_165509_11620

CPat
06-09-2010, 10:23 PM
When I was looking for a car last spring, I wanted a hatchback so I had the flexibility to carry things.
I ended up with a used 2007 Fit after considering everything up to Mazda 6 hatchback - style cars from pre-2007? I didn't like the interior styling of the GE8 nearly as much as the GD3. I was surprised that for a model run over 5 years old that relatively large engineering items such as a RSB became standard, and that an extra 10hp or so was achieved.

There really isn't a true "poor man's/women's" or entry level compact sports car that could be palatable for your significant other ( 4 seater, and room for kids/groceries/etc) and still have fun racing on the weekends until you get into GTI's and the other European brands costing upwards of $30k

I appreciate the space, and mileage, but miss the torque of my previous car. I like the dash and the original amount of after market products available were much more than some previous cars I've owned. This car feels really fun in the corners.
I agree they missed having something like the Mazdaspeed for the Mazda 3 (which is actually a pretty large car too). There seemed to be momentum for things such as after-market turbo's etc when for the GD3, but my impression now is that people aren't keeping tuned Fits like they were in the 90's. They are upgrading to other cars.

While shopping one thing that struck me was how there just didn't seem to be many (usually only AT too...) Fit's on the lots, but there were civics everywhere. Honda's bread and butter is not small cars, it's full-size cars.

Rant list:
The A pillar is huge, Fit's have an airbag in there too (sigh).
Cheap plastic interior trim that scratches really easily.
Minor exterior paint defects due to poorly designed body panel gaps.
Mild steel sheet metal (versus SS on some European cars that doesn't perforate...)
Insane stick wheel offsets, so that aftermarket options are limited +55 ?
I would have loved something sportier, but the sport model was only aesthetics with skirts/spoiler/stereo - aren't people more interested in performance? Why does the higher performance engine come with all the luxury trim such as leather seats etc all of the time?

Travel_Dude
06-09-2010, 11:06 PM
I love Honda/Acura.

I just cant have any fun with ANYTHING Toyota makes.

911fever
06-10-2010, 12:00 AM
The FT 86, Highlander, Highlander Hybrid, Tundra are all much quicker, and more fun to drive than the CR-V or Ridgeline is.
And the 4Runner is better than the Pilot imo

ringmaster
06-10-2010, 10:11 AM
I am a self admitted Honda fanboy and I guess you could say that through out high school and my acedemic slump called college, Ive always been a sucker for the mid 90's honda. I've owned an Accord, Del Sol and several Civics. I liked their reliability and their "smaller" features. They don't have the same bulk as their domestic mates.

Recently I was ready to purchase a new car and had my heart set on the 2010 Accord. Based on its looks and previously owning an Accord, I had sold myself on it before I went to the dealership. After test driving the car, I couldn't have been more disapointed. The 2 door V6 was an absolute SLUG, I honestly thought I took out the 4 cyl by mistake. The salesman kept grinning when I floored it and enquired several times about "how the v6 power was making me feel". Told him the car was a slug and that it was disapointingly under powered. I actually think my Mom's 2002 Grand Prix is faster and more rewarding to drive.

I ended up going elsewhere and not getting a honda. Out of curiousity, I even priced out a new S2k. I actually can't understand why somebody would but one though... at 50K, there are many desirable alternatives for the same or less money.

Mr_ET
06-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Nothing wrong with Honda:

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=324599

Aleks
06-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
Nothing wrong with Honda:

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=324599

:rofl:

GTI CANADIAN
06-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Honda's problem is that they're not Volkswagen!

hehehehhehehhe:guns: