PDA

View Full Version : Honda Civic SIR Supercharger/ Turbo Shops

2BLUE
05-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Is there anybody who has supercharger installed in their Civic SIR engine? I'm planning to get one but can't find shops in calgary. I'm really stuck between turbo or supercharger. I would like to take a drive in a car that has the same engine but modified.

Sentry
05-30-2010, 03:50 PM
You have an EM1 right? Those are pretty easy to work on and there's a couple turbo B16s running around.

Superchargers meh. They can be alright if you're happy with the power increase you get, but that typically is not a lot and the guys with turbos will run you down. Then you'll want to go faster and not have any upgrade path.

Deetz
05-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Oh, i think there is a lot to be said about superchargers. They have a lot of pluses over a turbo that make them worthwhile, and some people don't need to be the very fastest in town.

Advantages to consider:

- known for a longer running life than turbo systems typically
- lot's of torque, power is always there
- easy to tune, and keep that way
- easy install

Sentry
05-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Deetz
Oh, i think there is a lot to be said about superchargers. They have a lot of pluses over a turbo that make them worthwhile, and some people don't need to be the very fastest in town.

Advantages to consider:

- known for a longer running life than turbo systems typically
because they make less power, also hearsay
- lot's of torque, power is always there
depends on your definition of "lots", but it is always available on demand.
- easy to tune, and keep that way
so are turbos, you just need the self control (or a boost cut) so you don't try cranking it up.
- easy install
debatable. i was an 18 year old kid with no prior experience and installed my turbo kit in one saturday afternoon
Not to mention supercharging a 90s Honda costs twice as much for less gains as turbocharging one. Have you seen the price of kits? 3500 bucks? For an extra 40whp. Jesus.

Deetz
05-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Don't forget about other factors that involve install. A lot of b series turbo kits have issues with you losing nice features like a/c, not always, but its' common

2BLUE
05-30-2010, 04:40 PM
I have a turbo sled and its nothing but troubles. Always tuning which i hate. Is there anyone here that does turbo, supercharger installs, engine rebuilds out of their home? Looking for professionals that know their stuff.

Sentry
05-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Common if you don't want to keep AC. If you want to keep AC all you need to do is buy an AC compatible manifold and downpipe.

Dodobird
05-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
Common if you don't want to keep AC. If you want to keep AC all you need to do is buy an AC compatible manifold and downpipe.

^^^ Pretty much what I've heard... Doesn't seem like it's difficult to keep your A/C in. I'm thinking of running a turbo B once I find a B of some sort. IMHO a supercharger is really not worth it, especially in a honda. How many supercharged one's are even out there? I think I've seen one total

revelations
05-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Youll prob get more gains at altitude here in Calgary (~4000ft) using a turbo rather than a super.

Kittens11
05-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Maybe i am wrong but why would altitude matter they are both forcing air into the engine, just different methods of accomplishing it?
I know i plan on super charging my integra in the next few months. I have a b18c5 with every bolt on i can do and i love it, i just want a bit more low end power/torque. And in terms of ease of installation and getting it running properly i hear nothing but good things about the sc. If you want the fastest car in town then for sure turbo would be the way to go.

revelations
05-31-2010, 12:30 AM
I should clarify that youll need to play with the engine a bit more with a SC as the pulley/belt ratio should be adjusted for the altitude here in Calgary where as a TC will just simply spin faster.