PDA

View Full Version : Don't ignore sports cars due to insurance...

Kloubek
05-31-2010, 10:00 AM
So, I've switched vehicles a few times over the last couple of months. I recently bought and sold a TT, and then decided to start driving the FD Rx7. I thought for sure I would pay more for insurance since it is faster, and an all-out 2-seater sports car.

Well, that turned out not to be the case. In fact, my insurance rate went DOWN about 25%!

I then picked up my C5 Corvette a couple of weeks ago, and thought again the price would go up. I've always heard that Corvettes are super expensive to insure.

The result? Pretty much exactly the same price to insure as the RX7.

So, at the end of the day, if you are concerned about insurance rates:
a) Either do your homework on a particular car before you buy it, or
b) Just buy whatever the hell you want... there doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason as to what the rates are going to be. (At least, not with cars in a similar price range anyway.)

scat330
05-31-2010, 10:02 AM
Face it man - you're old.

To a younger beyonder, this would matter

:rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-31-2010, 10:05 AM
I pay less insurance on a 18 year old JDM then I do on a beater Jeep.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
05-31-2010, 10:09 AM
I was pricing out Insurance on a Gen coupe, and a Forte Koup, and the Gen coupe was 20 dollars a month cheaper.

If I went used I am sure it would be even less.

-relk-
05-31-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by scat330

+1

Xtrema
05-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
So, I've switched vehicles a few times over the last couple of months. I recently bought and sold a TT, and then decided to start driving the FD Rx7. I thought for sure I would pay more for insurance since it is faster, and an all-out 2-seater sports car.

Well, that turned out not to be the case. In fact, my insurance rate went DOWN about 25%!

I then picked up my C5 Corvette a couple of weeks ago, and thought again the price would go up. I've always heard that Corvettes are super expensive to insure.

b) Just buy whatever the hell you want... there doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason as to what the rates are going to be. (At least, not with cars in a similar price range anyway.)

Let me guess, you are over 35 and has a no-claim record?

:D

Surprisingly, my insurance is also ultra cheap for my S4. I guess that's something good with age.

Kloubek
05-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Not OVER 35. Just 35. :) And yes, I'm claim-free.

So what are you saying Xtrema... that after you get older and have claim-free driving that the cars which would normally be a lot more to insure becomes on par with other vehicle rates?

The fact I have a great driving record gives me good rates, no doubt. (Plus the fact I have group rates through my work, and I insure both home and auto through the same company) But I still would have expected the Corvette to be much more in insurance than my Audi TT was.

Trust me Scat - the price I pay for insurance matters to me too. I didn't build up a car collection by haphazardly spending my money. And yes, I'm old. Compared to you, anyway. I prefer to call it "experienced". :)

Cos
05-31-2010, 11:12 AM
trying to get some hits on your cars for sale?

Kloubek
05-31-2010, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Cos
trying to get some hits on your cars for sale?

Kinda a dick thing to say. But I guess I can see why you thought that. That thought honestly did not cross my mind. I'm just trying to keep the Beyond public from avoiding sporty cars just because they think the insurance rates are higher....

Not everyone has a "hidden agenda" you know. I get 95% of my leads through Kijiji anyway...

Cos
05-31-2010, 11:24 AM

Kinda a dick thing to say. But I guess I can see why you thought that. That thought honestly did not cross my mind. I'm just trying to keep the Beyond public from avoiding sporty cars just because they think the insurance rates are higher....

Not everyone has a "hidden agenda" you know. I get 95% of my leads through Kijiji anyway...

Was just curious. I know you commented in another thread that you are pissed no one is buying your sports cars although you think they are fairly priced. Didnt mean anything by it, was just actually curious if you were surprised by the insurance cost or you were trying to generate some hits on the cars.

Didnt mean to be a dick. Sorry

Kloubek
05-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Fair enough. No, that was not the intent. I don't think people aren't buying my cars due to insurance rates... I think the market just sucks for older sports cars!

I would not have posted anything at all, but I am truly floored how (relatively) cheap the Corvette is to insure.

Now that I'm thinking more about it, switching from my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee to the Audi was a very large step up in terms of price. Maybe the ridiculous rate for the TT just makes everything else SEEM really low....

Cos
05-31-2010, 11:29 AM
^^ I hear ya. I pay WAY more for my truck than I have for any other car I have owned.

The worst is a motorbike. I pay 10% of the bikes value in insurance every year. My truck is like 5%

Kloubek
05-31-2010, 11:32 AM
What kind of truck? Wonder why it is so high....

I would be very interested to know what portion of a rate is due to the value of a car, and what portion is due to either accident rates in that car, or theft.

Maybe the TT is so high because it get stolen all the time... or maybe people continually drive them off the roads or something....

max_boost
05-31-2010, 11:33 AM

When you're approaching 30 like me with 12+years of driving experience, it's going to be cheap.

Cos
05-31-2010, 11:38 AM
What kind of truck? Wonder why it is so high....

I would be very interested to know what portion of a rate is due to the value of a car, and what portion is due to either accident rates in that car, or theft.

Maybe the TT is so high because it get stolen all the time... or maybe people continually drive them off the roads or something....

Truck = 40,000-------Insurance = 2400
Bike = 6,000----------Insurance = 600
Wifes car = 2,000----Insurance = 900

As Masked Bandit puts it, if I want cheap insurance. Buy a beater like the wife and lose the manhood. I like my toys and being a 24 year old male sure doesnt help.

BTW 2007 F150.

Kloubek
05-31-2010, 11:40 AM
lol. My wife is driving a 98 Corolla. I just put her on my own insurance, and she pays something like $50 a month. Kinda crazy actually, since previously she got her own insurance, and was paying well over $150 a month.

CUG
05-31-2010, 11:41 AM

b) Just buy whatever the hell you want... there doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason as to what the rates are going to be. (At least, not with cars in a similar price range anyway.) Yeah dude, I only found this out recently too. My broker told me that liability was the same in my SUV as it would be in a new ferrari. The comp was I think 400 more than comp on the SUV.

Cos
05-31-2010, 11:43 AM
lol. My wife is driving a 98 Corolla. I just put her on my own insurance, and she pays something like $50 a month. Kinda crazy actually, since previously she got her own insurance, and was paying well over $150 a month.

Yeah I think with the Truck, House, and Bike I pay close to $300. I hate hearing her bitch about the $86 or whatever the hell she pays. :banghead:

Cug, SUV payments may be a little less than the Ferrari though. Still is sad how it works out. :rofl:

Shlade
05-31-2010, 11:43 AM
im getting raped in the ass with a rusty screwdriver for insurance...

18 years old, Sports car and 2 tickets dont mix so well :facepalm:

Cos
05-31-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
im getting raped in the ass with a rusty screwdriver for insurance...

18 years old, Sports car and 2 tickets dont mix so well :facepalm:

Wow you're 18??? Drug dealer on the side? Nice cars man :thumbsup:

edit: that means you werent even a twinkle in your parents eyes in the 80's :facepalm:

Shlade
05-31-2010, 11:45 AM
haha no drug dealer, No illegal stuff, ever!

I work hard for what I have just like a lot of the people here!

e31
05-31-2010, 11:47 AM

I'm just trying to keep the Beyond public from avoiding sporty cars just because they think the insurance rates are higher....

Beyond generally avoids real sports cars because there is a common misconception that V-TACK & NAWS create a sportscar. Also, oversized rearview mirrors don't work so well with a high-angle windshield.

Sorry, I'm probably not helping.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-31-2010, 11:48 AM
Im paying $350 a month currently, 19, clean record.

Cos
05-31-2010, 11:48 AM
haha no drug dealer, No illegal stuff, ever!

I work hard for what I have just like a lot of the people here!

haha I hear you. I was kidding about the drug dealer part. I have a great job and no matter how hard I work I cant seem to find the 20 g's for a Terminator. :cry:

Stoopid house and grown up payments.

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Man some of you are young. Did you sign up here before you could even drive?

Originally posted by e31

Beyond generally avoids real sports cars because there is a common misconception that V-TACK & NAWS create a sportscar. Also, oversized rearview mirrors don't work so well with a high-angle windshield.

Sorry, I'm probably not helping.

I remember when I got into cars (17, Fast and Furious) all I wanted was a tuner car. I even attempted a few. It did get me into the hobby though so I wont complain.

Shlade
05-31-2010, 11:51 AM

Im paying $363 with ING right now... Its not too bad I suppose for what I drive, But with winter months and all, it should be cut down since ill only have fire and theft on it while its in the garage.

EDIT: I always do love when people ask me if mommy and daddy bought my car... I find it funny cuz I drive a better car than my parents :rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-31-2010, 11:56 AM

Im paying $363 with ING right now... Its not too bad I suppose for what I drive, But with winter months and all, it should be cut down since ill only have fire and theft on it while its in the garage.

EDIT: I always do love when people ask me if mommy and daddy bought my car... I find it funny cuz I drive a better car than my parents :rofl:

I should mention its $350 a month for 1992 Nissan 180SX 2 mill liability, fire theft vandalism no collision, 2008 Yamaha Raptor 250 same coverage as Nissan, and 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 1 mill liability, fire theft vandalism no collision.

Shlade
05-31-2010, 12:04 PM
yeah.. I wish, Ive got Completly full coverage on my car, Hell i dont even remember what i have on it off the top of my head.

Oh well. I got cought for speeding (second ticket was complete bullshit) and i guess ive gotta pay up right now. My own fault :dunno:

2EFNFAST
05-31-2010, 12:06 PM
corvettes are, generally, cheaper to insure than most sport cars. Probably because more old guys drive them (base/z06) than younger.

my 04 cobra is $200/yr than my z06 :rofl:

let's derail this thread and talk about how great our corvettes are :drama:

Kloubek
05-31-2010, 12:07 PM
My own fault :dunno:

Responsibility. It's a wonderful thing! I can't imagine two tickets is gonna make your rates explode though...

Yeah, I've been lucky that my own tickets haven't seemed to have messed up my rates. But since a lot of the rate is "risk-based", I'm sure they will not turn a blind eye to my "indiscretions" forever.

2EFNFAST: I have to admit, I DO like my C5. Quite a bit. For performance, it is hard to beat. But for fit/finish, refinement, and luxury, it kinda blows.

Xtrema
05-31-2010, 12:13 PM
So what are you saying Xtrema... that after you get older and have claim-free driving that the cars which would normally be a lot more to insure becomes on par with other vehicle rates?

I hit 35 as well. My old car is worth $10K. My new car is $65K. Difference in comp coverage? $15 a month. (less if I didn't pick up the 30 months no depreciation coverage for new cars). Just a few bucks over $1000/yr.

Sugarphreak
05-31-2010, 12:15 PM

scat330
05-31-2010, 12:17 PM

Trust me Scat - the price I pay for insurance matters to me too. I didn't build up a car collection by haphazardly spending my money. And yes, I'm old. Compared to you, anyway. I prefer to call it "experienced". :)

Since you lost the girly car I needed something else to get you on ;)

Originally posted by max_boost

When you're approaching 30 like me with 12+years of driving experience, it's going to be cheap.

It's going to happen to all of us... eventually.

Haha! My GF has a 98 corolla too. 450,000KM. 1600 a year to insure.

Kloubek
05-31-2010, 12:19 PM
Xtrema: I wonder if your old car (if you still have it and wish to insure it again) will be cheaper to insure now that you're 35. If so, then I guess 35 would be the "golden age" of insuring vehicles. If not, then it would prove that the actual value of the car has little or no bearing on how much it costs to insure.

Since you lost the girly car I needed something else to get you on ;)

Ya know, I never really viewed that car as that girly. Maybe it was the fact everything was blacked out, maybe it was because I knew it was a quick little machine, or maybe I didn't see a girl driving a 6-spd manual. Whatever the reason, my balls never once shrivelled at the thought of driving it.

With this said, I do believe the Corvette is by far a more appropriate vehicle for me. :)

Xtrema
05-31-2010, 12:25 PM
Xtrema: I wonder if your old car (if you still have it and wish to insure it again) will be cheaper to insure now that you're 35. If so, then I guess 35 would be the "golden age" of insuring vehicles. If not, then it would prove that the actual value of the car has little or no bearing on how much it costs to insure.

Too bad I never tracked the difference in liability portion, only the over all total. My last car is an 03 Altima SE which started out @ $1400/year, 7 years ago. By the time I got rid of it, it cost me about $850/year. I'm not sure the deduction was due to age or due to drop in value.

So I deduce that if $50K is change in value is only worth $180/yr, most of my deduction must come from age, clean record or a long time customer.

Cos
05-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Damn, that is (nearly) double what I pay for my truck!

haha that isnt what I paid though. Comparables are $35,000 - $40,000 (maybe less now but that was at the time) and new it was $62,000.

What I paid had a 2 in front of it.

Kloubek
05-31-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
So I deduce that if $50K is change in value is only worth $180/yr, most of my deduction must come from age, clean record or a long time customer.

Well, that is how BC does it. They really don't care about your age, but you build up discounts for each year of accident-free driving. I would suggest they follow a similar system here.

I did have a parking lot ding which I paid out, so it never went on record as a claim. But had I let insurance cover it, my yearly cost would have gone up an extra $400/year, for several years.

Sugarphreak
05-31-2010, 12:29 PM

Cos
05-31-2010, 12:31 PM

No not the cost, I meant the insurance rate!

Mine is like 1300$ish a year.

oooooo haha. Yeah I dunno why. I had an accident 6 years ago and no tickets since (I rear ended a dude who was making an illegal left). Here's to hoping to goes down.

Who are you with? TD MM? They give decent discounts because of the association but never enough to matter to me. Anything funny on the policy? Are you 24 too?

Xtrema
05-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Who are you with? TD MM? They give decent discounts because of the association but never enough to matter to me. Anything funny on the policy? Are you 24 too?

Everyone I know on TD/MM are not too happy with the rate increase this year. They were able to beat AMA every year except this year. (yes, I'm on AMA).

Cos
05-31-2010, 12:35 PM

Everyone I know on TD/MM are not too happy with the rate increase this year. They were able to beat AMA every year except this year. (yes, I'm on AMA).

hmm I may have to call AMA because their online quote is right out the window. Something like 4800 a year.

hmmm td dropped substantially:

$154.42 per month * or $1,853.00 per year

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-31-2010, 12:35 PM

My rate TD/MM went down like $200 this year.

Kloubek
05-31-2010, 12:36 PM

Interesting you should say that. Here I am, all happy with the rate for my Corvette, and I'm actually ON TD/MM insurance. lol.

Maybe this is due to the previously discussed age/experience discount....

hampstor
05-31-2010, 12:45 PM

My rates didn't change significantly with TD/MM this year either... my Titan's costing me ~900/year to insure.

heh I remember being surprised initially when it was LESS than the WRX STI was to insure.

Sugarphreak
05-31-2010, 12:49 PM

Cos
05-31-2010, 12:58 PM

Yep, TD MM

I am a few years older, you will likely find at 25 your rate will suddenly drop a couple of hundred bucks.

I paid my dues though;

When I was 19 I had no tickets, no accidents or claims and even a 10% safe driver discount from BC. My rate in BC was 1600$ a year.

When I moved to Calgary my rate for the first year... 5400$ per year; fucking crooks.

Half the places I called didn't even want to ensure me because of my age, a few places I called wanted as much as 5800$ per year.

I can still remember the first call I made and the insurance guy telling me a quote of 5800$. "There must be some mistake" I said, "My car is only worth 5200$ and I have 3 years worth of squeaky clean driving and insurance records"... he stuck to the quote so hung up on him pissed right off; A few more calls later I realized just how screwed I was going to be financially.

hmmm 1 more year :cry: Thanks, yeah I havent been quite that bad but between the payment, gas, and insurance I am starting to cry a little inside every month.

TorqueDog
05-31-2010, 02:48 PM
My insurance has dropped every year - without fail - since I changed to Alberta private insurance.

This includes the year when I changed from an 07 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. to the M5 in 2007. And because I turned 25 this year, my insurance dropped like a rock. :clap:

03ozwhip
06-01-2010, 02:05 PM
just switched my insurance over from allstate to diamond insurance brokers and i couldnt be happier as allstate previously tried to rape me over my 2 tickets.

anyways, i sold the suv and when i was looking for a car in the interim i was looking at vw and a4 and the a4 was $20/year cheaper, go figure.

i bought a mazda 6 instead and saved $100/year over my 03 Bravada. im paying about 120/month for full coverage, in august im moving my bike insurance over because it will drop from 450/year to 250/year.

Masked Bandit FTW>:thumbsup: im glad i did the move those big companies (TD MM, Allstate etc) are fucking homos when it comes to raising rates, its like they dont go by the same book as smaller companies.

edit: oh ya and im an old prick. ill be 30 this month....:barf:

Sentry
06-01-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm paying 147/month. Comprehensive. Adding collision coverage would have doubled it.

20 years old, driving since 16, no coverage gaps, all under my own name. No accidents, no tickets. :)

ercchry
06-01-2010, 04:30 PM
for full coverage it is amazing how the vehicle effects the rates when i was shopping from most expensive quotes to cheapest went, 07 chev silverado, 10 dodge ram, 10 chev silverado, 08 benz c300, 10 jeep rubicon

the 07 was more then the 10 chev due to how prone the 07 was to thefts even though both trucks look the same :nut:

CHICHARITZHI
06-01-2010, 06:08 PM
im paying $170/ month for 2 cars , $300/year for bike, not bad i can still afford it.

cjay^
06-01-2010, 06:19 PM
TD MM is the shit.

1mill liability, comprehensive (limited glass) w/ $250 deductable = $140/month

I'm 19, licensed for 2 years.

ryansteg
06-01-2010, 07:42 PM
oh hi. i'm going to buy a snazzy sports car based on klubeks thread. thanx!