PDA

View Full Version : Using a different bolt pattern

03ozwhip
05-31-2010, 09:37 PM
my bolt pattern is 5x114.3 but have used 5x115 on this bolt patternt before and it works and fits but i was wondering what are the downfalls to doing this? maybe a dumb question but just wondering....

Disoblige
05-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Have lots of friends who have done this before, no problems I heard of thus far. Though they may work, I'm gonna say it's not recommended since they are two different sizes, even by just a bit. I know I wouldn't do it.

03ozwhip
05-31-2010, 09:46 PM
ya ive done it before on a different car and i didnt feel any difference but can something bad happen here? i found some super cheap wheels that are exactly what im looking for except that theyre .7mm off.

boarderfatty
05-31-2010, 11:00 PM
I believe you will be putting stress the studs in a way that they werent designed to . I dont necessarily think anything will happen, it is just a different stress on it.

tirebob
06-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Yes there are many people out there doing it who have never had problems, but there are also reports of people who have had wheel studs fracture that they associate to running the wrong bolt pattern because it does, in theory, pull the stud outwards or pull them inwards when tightened down if the bolt circle is not exact. The question is, how much of a different does 0.7 of a mm make? I really do not know the answer but it is not something I ever would recommend to one of my customers, nor would I do to my own families vehicle. Can I say it is dangerous as a fact? No... I have never seen any conclusive proof either way, but I would rather be wrong about not selling somebody something that might have worked, than being wrong about selling the wrong thing and seeing them in a ditch missing a wheel because it did cause an issue...

03ozwhip
06-01-2010, 10:22 AM
thanks bob, just one more question. i have an 04 mazda 6 and the wheels im looking at are +45 offset, do those work or would they look funny on this car?

ercchry
06-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
thanks bob, just one more question. i have an 04 mazda 6 and the wheels im looking at are +45 offset, do those work or would they look funny on this car?

that is impossible to say without having the width...

and i remember reading something about using wobble lugs or something for running the wrong bolt pattern? something to that effect

gretz
06-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by boarderfatty
I believe you will be putting stress the studs in a way that they werent designed to . I dont necessarily think anything will happen, it is just a different stress on it.

I don't think (in this case) it would make a huge deal. Is out .7mm overall, thats .35mm a side (about 5 pcs of paper or a grain of sand). The studs that press through your hub aren't pressed perfectly straight either. If they are out of straight, say, .35mm of straightness, you wouldn't be able to see it... yet the rim will still bolt on.

Im sure rims aren't 100% perfect, as everything has a tolerance... Your rim could be a 114.1 or a 114.8 (or 115) - you will never know, but either way they will bolt on.

tirebob
06-01-2010, 10:43 AM
7.5 wide with an ET45 on a Mazda 6 is pretty close but should be fine. If it was 8.0 it will be a bit tighter for sure. The Mazda 6 sucks for rear fitments and has a lot of potential for rubbing, but stick to high offsets (ET45 or higher) and you are usually ok...