PDA

View Full Version : Registration expiring & selling car

mr2mike
05-31-2010, 10:26 PM
My registration expires tonight and I am selling a vehicle probably this week. How does this work?

Let's say I want to risk it... can I still sell the car to the guy with the expired registration? Then he goes to the registry and registers the vehicle and drives away. Or do I need to fork out the $70 for a few days that the car still belongs to me?

If I have to register it, can I then transfer the payment (prorated) to my other vehicle?

I'll probably just call Plates in the morning and find out.

That.Guy.S30
05-31-2010, 10:30 PM
why do you need to re-register your car for selling it? the buyer will have to register the car anyways.

mr2mike
05-31-2010, 10:32 PM
I don't know. Just wondering if I can sell the car and sign the back of the registration despite it being expired.

Also the car is parked so it's not like I'm daily driving it. I'm taking the c-train for now.

Ukyo8
05-31-2010, 10:39 PM
He can drive away in it if he insured it, and has his own plate with a car registered to it.

core_upt
06-01-2010, 08:08 AM
You can also register it and then cancel the registration or transfer it to another vehicle:
http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/572.cfm#Canceling_a_Registration

TYMSMNY
06-01-2010, 09:30 AM
register the plate again and pay $20 to have it transferred to your new one. If you don't want the plate anymore, just surrender it and they will send you a cheque for half the year.

You'll need a plate on the vehicle to test drive it anyways.

Kloubek
06-01-2010, 09:32 AM
You can sell a car with expired registration. In fact, it doesn't even have to be registered to you to sell it at all. (Though, if that is the case, you better keep your bill of sale to prove you owned it if you ever need to)

inline6turbo
06-01-2010, 09:36 AM
You don't need to register the car again to sell it OP. Just like dealerships that take in used cars, they dont go register them. The registration you sign doesn't have to be valid, you can just use it because it has all the required info on it like a bill of sale, your name, the vehicle info and vin number, you're old address and then you just put his info on the back to make it complete.

If you're not going to be using your old plate for your other vehicle then just hop down to a registries with your old plate(s) and transfer/cancel from that car.

The new owner will bring his own plate (that has to be currently registered to a vehicle he owns/owned and valid) as well as valid insurance papers for the NEW vehicle he's buying from you.

CHICHARITZHI
06-01-2010, 06:04 PM
if u don't register ur car ,the buyer cannot test drive ur car.