PDA

View Full Version : DH'ers Ride thread

BlkMaxima
05-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Going for a ride? Post up here.

I'll be going to C.O.P. a lot this summer. Planning to go out to Kicking horse and maybe Fernie later in the season.

I will be heading over to C.O.P. tomorrow. I have room on my rack for one another bike if someone is up to it. I'll probably be leaving the S.E. around 10am if the weather looks decent.

Shoot me a PM if your interested in coming out tomorrow.

Here's a pic of my set up for shits and giggles.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff59/Blkmaxima/photo-1.jpg

BlkMaxima
06-01-2010, 09:36 AM
I guess COP only has one trail open today because of the water on the trails. So I won't be going.

They said maybe tomorrow they will all be open.

swak
06-01-2010, 01:11 PM
BlkMaxima, do you also have a black TJ? I saw the exact bike in your pic on a rack that looked like yours in top pic today in bowness on my ride today...

a social dsease
06-01-2010, 01:33 PM
dh'er here. drove up to moose mtn recently, don't bother going for awhile. 20+ cms of snow at the top. would be down for a cop rip in the meantime :thumbsup:

also i hit swansea last weekend, trails there are great right now!

Afrodeziak
06-01-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm in for rides, have no vehicle for transport/shuttling though.

B

BlkMaxima
06-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by swak
BlkMaxima, do you also have a black TJ? I saw the exact bike in your pic on a rack that looked like yours in top pic today in bowness on my ride today...

No, I just have the grand prix.

Originally posted by a social dsease
dh'er here. drove up to moose mtn recently, don't bother going for awhile. 20+ cms of snow at the top. would be down for a cop rip in the meantime :thumbsup:

also i hit swansea last weekend, trails there are great right now!

Yeah, I went to moose mountain in early may. The road wasn't open yet. There was still some snow at the base too.

Never heard of Swansea, where is that? I assume that it is a shuttle only?

I will call COP tomorrow morning to find out if they opened up the main trails and post an update here. If there open I'll be going around 10 ish.

BlkMaxima
06-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Afrodeziak
I'm in for rides, have no vehicle for transport/shuttling though.

B

If your on the way to COP from Cranston, I can pick you up on the way.

VWEvo
06-01-2010, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't mind testing out the new bike tonight at COP. I believe they are open till 9:00 pm Tues, Wed, and Thurs :)

BlkMaxima
06-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
I wouldn't mind testing out the new bike tonight at COP. I believe they are open till 9:00 pm Tues, Wed, and Thurs :)

When I called this morning. They told me the lift was open, but only the run down the middle (Strawberry shortcake?) was open. Not worth going until they open west trees.

Unknown303
06-01-2010, 02:48 PM
DAMNIT... Now I want a bike again... Now I'm looking at a Giant Reign X2 again

VWEvo
06-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by BlkMaxima

When I called this morning. They told me the lift was open, but only the run down the middle (Strawberry shortcake?) was open. Not worth going until they open west trees.

Lol, well I'm a newb to the sport. I have a kick ass bike, some pretty solid gear, but no idea how to use it. So surprisingly, strawberry short cake, sounds pretty good to me ;)

Phenix
06-01-2010, 04:53 PM
I'd be up for going out. lets keep this thread going for biking meets. I would love to get out a lot more this year. and contemplating getting a cop pass.

I have a giant reign x1. and love it. glad i didn't get the xO. wanted something a little more bullet proof and also saved money for all the other gear.

BlkMaxima
06-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo

Lol, well I'm a newb to the sport. I have a kick ass bike, some pretty solid gear, but no idea how to use it. So surprisingly, strawberry short cake, sounds pretty good to me ;)

Have fun, let us know how it is.

Originally posted by Phenix
I'd be up for going out. lets keep this thread going for biking meets. I would love to get out a lot more this year. and contemplating getting a cop pass.

I have a giant reign x1. and love it. glad i didn't get the xO. wanted something a little more bullet proof and also saved money for all the other gear.

I bought a COP pass this year. $200 or $25/ea time? I'm sure I will go more than 8 times this season especially now that I have been layed off and will be taking the summer off this year. Needed something fun to pass the time.

I've been itching to get out and ride at COP or a mountain for a few months now. And it keeps getting delayed by the weather.

BlkMaxima
06-02-2010, 08:52 AM
COP opened up east trees this morning. And they said probably west trees this afternoon. :clap:

I'll be leaving the south around 10 if anyone wants to go.

BlkMaxima
06-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Everything was opened up at noon. Had a great time and will probably be going back on Friday. Apparently they are going to open a slopestyle course on the east side of the ski jumps.
Don't know when though.

The CPS Mountain bike team was there all day today. Didn't see them on any trails though. Excuse the crappy Iphone pic.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff59/Blkmaxima/photo-2.jpg

swak,

I saw the black TJ there today. You were right same bikes. Only difference I noticed were the forks.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Everything was opened up at noon. Had a great time and will probably be going back on Friday. Apparently they are going to open a slopestyle course on the east side of the ski jumps.
Don't know when though.

The CPS Mountain bike team was there all day today. Didn't see them on any trails though. Excuse the crappy Iphone pic.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff59/Blkmaxima/photo-2.jpg

swak,

I saw the black TJ there today. You were right same bikes. Only difference I noticed were the forks.

East side of the ski jumps? That would be in the eastlands wouldn't it?

BlkMaxima
06-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

East side of the ski jumps? That would be in the eastlands wouldn't it?

Not sure where that is?

I think it is going to be #8 on this Map, I don't remember riding that one last season.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff59/Blkmaxima/COPMap.jpg

swak
06-02-2010, 09:38 PM
trails look rad this year... makes me wish i had a MTB...
Might rent one and rip around COP at least once this year.

I cut through cop almost daily on my road bike, and even from today, looks like a busy crowd taking er all in.

EDIT: .. and thanks blkmaxima, now i know im not seeing things :D
Nice bike(s) though!!

BlkMaxima
06-02-2010, 09:40 PM
There was tons of cars in the parking lot. But I had the trails and lift to myself all day. I maybe caught up to 2 or 3 people on the trails.

I think a lot of the cars were for the construction and other stuff like zip lining.

ekguy
06-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I'd go but I'm not that good and only have a hardtail...I'd love to have a full suspension bike but too many other priorities this summer...

msommers
06-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I only have a hardtail too. I think I'll go this sunday hopefully and check it out.

Renagades
06-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Hardtails were ideal last year as it wasn't so much a DH hill as an all a-line hill. My fully was much to big for anything COP had to offer. Hopefully the DH track will be better this year.

BlkMaxima
06-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah, you will be fine with a hardtail. I rode a Norco Sasquatch a few times there last year and had no problems.

I just like the feel of the full suspension better.

ekguy
06-07-2010, 12:47 AM
mine just needs work right now that will have to wait. Maybe by the July, I'll bring it out there.

Unknown303
06-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Strange. I didn't know about the 4X course. But I also haven't owned a bike in a few years now.

dsr7723
06-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Nice bike OP, but it's not how you haul your bike, it's how you ride your bike...

I'll be at COP as time allows too. Looking forward to it!

redline
06-07-2010, 12:32 PM

Never heard of Swansea, where is that? I assume that it is a shuttle only?

It is just south of Radium, shuttle only, a couple of crazies ride up the road.

But you really should have a good truck to make it to the top... lots of fun there.

redline
06-07-2010, 12:38 PM
My DH bike

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb103/redline9001/100_0197.jpg

BlkMaxima
06-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by redline

It is just south of Radium, shuttle only, a couple of crazies ride up the road.

But you really should have a good truck to make it to the top... lots of fun there.

Yeah, I would love to ride a lot of the shuttle only hills/mountains.
But I don't have a truck. There is no way, I'm going to risk my car on some of the dirt roads that most of them involve. Probably wouldn't make it up anyways. lol

So for now I'm stuck with lift access only. Which isn't terrible, but really narrows my options.

Nice bike btw

Phenix
06-07-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm thinking i might just get the evening pass and go from there but we'll see how money is looking when i go to buy my pass later this week

syeve
06-07-2010, 01:22 PM

Yeah, I would love to ride a lot of the shuttle only hills/mountains.
But I don't have a truck. There is no way, I'm going to risk my car on some of the dirt roads that most of them involve. Probably wouldn't make it up anyways. lol

So for now I'm stuck with lift access only. Which isn't terrible, but really narrows my options.

Nice bike btw

Lots of cars make it up the moose gravel road.

BlkMaxima
06-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by syeve

Lots of cars make it up the moose gravel road.

How is the road? Rut's, bigger rocks?

Anything to actually worry about? If not I might give it a shot if someone want's to do some shuttling.

a social dsease
06-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Swansea is actually just south of Invermere, in Windermere BC. You turn off the highway at the bowling alley.

Also I think you would have no trouble making it up there in a Grand Prix, the road isn't that bad. And the Moose Mtn road is in even better condition if you want something closer.

I just did some riding in Fernie this weekend, nothing crazy as I was with my GF but the trails there are good, just a little wet.

syeve
06-07-2010, 03:07 PM

How is the road? Rut's, bigger rocks?

Anything to actually worry about? If not I might give it a shot if someone want's to do some shuttling.

Yep, like social said, moose road would be no prob...it is a well site road so it's very well maintained.

Lots of DH options out there. Bottom right of the picture is "Moose Mountain Road Bottom Parking Lot" That's the bottom. That's where you will be right off the highway.

http://www.mmbts.com/members/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/MMBTS-2010-Trail-Map-1024x791.jpg

swak
06-07-2010, 03:32 PM
I am strongly considering renting a MTB from COP and ripping around there one day...

... Beyond COP meet???????

BlkMaxima
06-07-2010, 04:08 PM
I am strongly considering renting a MTB from COP and ripping around there one day...

... Beyond COP meet???????

I'm free to go just about any day, I would prefer to stick to weekdays though. Mainly because the runs get a little backed up on the weekends.

Pick a day and lets get this set up...

swak
06-07-2010, 04:13 PM

I'm free to go just about any day, I would prefer to stick to weekdays though. Mainly because the runs get a little backed up on the weekends.

Pick a day and lets get this set up...

What times are you available during the weekdays?
One week im donig 3-11pm shifts
the next im doing 6-3pm shifts

So really, im free all the time during the week depending on your schedule.

Let me know....
Tomorrow i could ride in the AM if youre down.

BlkMaxima
06-07-2010, 04:19 PM

What times are you available during the weekdays?
One week im donig 3-11pm shifts
the next im doing 6-3pm shifts

So really, im free all the time during the week depending on your schedule.

Let me know....
Tomorrow i could ride in the AM if youre down.

Lol, I have no schedule for this summer...

I would definitely be down for tomorrow, but I don't know if COP will be open? I live in the SE and it has been raining just about all day. If it dries up enough for them to open tomorrow, I will go.

Anyone know if it's been raining much around there?

swak
06-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Im in the NW, and its not raining too bad yet, but it shouldnt be too wet out...

I'll shoot you a pm with my number if youre down to hit up COP tomorrow.
Should be dece weather...

BlkMaxima
06-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Sure, I'll call them tomorrow morning and then let you know..

swak
06-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Sure, I'll call them tomorrow morning and then let you know..

groovy, sounds good.

redline
06-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by a social dsease

Also I think you would have no trouble making it up there in a Grand Prix, the road isn't that bad. And the Moose Mtn road is in even better condition if you want something close.

i would not take a car up that road... i agree moose is fine in a car

msommers
06-07-2010, 06:32 PM
How would you guys rate moose in terms of difficulty and about how long does it take to complete??

sgt_hawk
06-07-2010, 07:15 PM
I shuttle Moose With slammed 240's haha :D

Anybeen out lately? Was out two weekends ago and everything was snowed in

syeve
06-08-2010, 09:24 AM
I am out every few days, I rode up pnuma and only ran into some snow at the top pump station. But I have heard it got hammered again on Sunday.

There is a mose mountain webcam that we use to judge the snowiness.

http://www.braggcreek.ca/weather/index.htm

swak
06-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Rode COP w/ blkmaxima today.. Conditions/weather was awesome!

Bailed hard at the start then felt good and rode good for the rest of the day.. Come home, and ride mư road bike to work, my leg is swollen to shit.. It was worth it tho.. Can barely walk on it, but ripping up COP today was nothing less than awesome hahah..

a social dsease
06-08-2010, 10:28 PM
fuck i went to COP this evening and totally got owned by the rain. Did 3 runs and it started raining like crazy, the trails instantly turned into a skating rink. I saw 4 different people go down on the same corner within 3 minutes of each other.

I really hate the fucking weather in this city, we get 6 months of winter and when summer finally comes, it rains every damn day.

BlkMaxima
06-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I had a good day too. Couple close calls. lol.
Including nearly landing on a Coyote's back off of one table.

Trails were in awesome shape.

This rain is getting pretty annoying that's for sure.
My lawn is nice and green though.:thumbsup:

ekguy
06-08-2010, 11:56 PM
For those who are new to the sport, is there some decently easy trails at COP to learn to properly take jumps and then work your way up? I'm not that great right now and wouldn't mind learning more.

BlkMaxima
06-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
For those who are new to the sport, is there some decently easy trails at COP to learn to properly take jumps and then work your way up? I'm not that great right now and wouldn't mind learning more.

For sure.

Most of the runs at COP are very easy to maneuver. The majority of the runs are very smooth and flow well. Jumps are set up quite well for just coasting speed, as well as balls out pedaling craziness.

Large majority of the jumps are tabletops. There are some doubles, but nothing too crazy. Great place to learn.

Mitsu3000gt
06-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Is COP still absolute garbage like it was last year? Every time I went the following occurred:

1) 30+ min lineup for the lift (it takes 1.5 to 2 min to get down the hill...) So, in an evening, you get roughly 12min of riding time in 3 hours. I saw some guys with trucks shuttling to the top to beat the lines, but not everyone can do that.

2) Hundreds of "dirt jumper" kids who, rather than use the dirt jump area, go to the tabletops in the DH courses and walk their bike up the hill a bit, do the table, and repeat. They almost got hit so many times by other DH guys who didn't expect them to be there. Extremely dangerous, and they yell at the DH guys.

3) People trying to get a hardtail down the all-out DH course, basically walking it down, blocking everyone.

4) Teenagers/dirt jumpers going in the "singles" line at the lift because it's shorter and moves faster, and leaving the singles line 3 at a time to cut in line in front of the people who have been waiting 30 min in the regular line. The lifty's don't do anything about it.

It was so bad it completely turned me off of COP last year. Has anything changed?

BlkMaxima
06-14-2010, 10:13 AM
I haven't gone on the weekend yet this year.

I go on weekdays and have had the hill to myself. I'm sure the weekends are still really busy though.

There are no dirt jumps built yet, so that gets rid of some of the kids.

Little Dragon
06-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Miss my Giant Glory.
One day I will return to DHing.

How's COP nowadays anyways?

Mitsu3000gt
06-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Little Dragon
Miss my Giant Glory.
One day I will return to DHing.

How's COP nowadays anyways?

Not good unless you're there while the Jr. High kids are in school.

Kona9
06-14-2010, 11:21 PM
I would be interested in a Beyond COP meet during the week as well. It's time to bang of some of the rust in my skill.

I also have a truck we can shuttle with if it comes down to Moose. A few COP evenings and I should be back in biz.

As for anyone questioning it, COP is the best place to test your skill and have your questions answered regarding your abilities.

subscribed

BlkMaxima
06-17-2010, 01:01 AM
Well hopefully the weather starts getting better soon. Maybe we will be able to get out next week sometime.

Forecast is supposed to be good. But who knows?:dunno:

Kona9
06-17-2010, 08:57 AM
My eyes are peeled on this thread and the forecast!

VWEvo
06-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Have the day off Monday, definately looking to go downhilling. COP is closed, anything else around the city to go to? Ideally less than a 2 hr drive? Appreciate any advice.

VWEvo
06-20-2010, 06:36 PM
West Trees Open - Planet Safari FTW!!!! :clap:

Mitsu3000gt
06-28-2010, 10:24 AM
I rode Kicking Horse on Sunday, it was a good day overall. A few of the really higher up trails were closed but most were open. My only problem with that hill is that most of the trails, including the fire road from the top, are so full of brake bumps that your hands are absolutely destroyed after even one run, and it just goes downhill from there (pun intended haha). No other hill I've ever been to is even close to as bad as Kicking Horse in that regard. Even my friend who isn't normally affected as much by the crazy shaking/vibration of the bumps could barely even make a fist after a couple of runs. I usually only go there once every couple years because the bumps are so bad but the scenery is almost worth it. For anyone familiar with the hill, stay to the sides of the fire road to try avoid some of the brake bumps, and then Pioneer and the bottom half of Super Berm are in good shape compared to the rest of the trails. Showdown has the potential to be such a sweet trail, but the brake bumps are just ridiculous.

Panorama is still by far my favorite hill, but I haven't been to Whistler yet which I hear is pretty amazing.

BlackRadon
06-28-2010, 02:20 PM
kicking horse has always been like that. its hard on your whole body. Silver star is my favorite hill to bike. Go on three day trips during the week. Awesome weather, trails are always taking care of and really smooth. Its a wicked place. Pano is great too. didnt get chance to go last year tho, maybe this year.

.norco.
07-03-2010, 08:51 PM
good to know about kickinghorse... whats the deal with fernie? good stuff?

swak
07-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Rode COP from about 1pm-6pm, and mannnnn was it busy!

Kid central (lots of summer MTB camps going on)!
Runs are fine, but lift lines suck.

Come 4-5pm though, it started dying down (had some chairs to myself), but other than that, beautiful day!

pyro
07-08-2010, 03:41 PM
just got back from silverstar=epic :drool:
prolly headin to COP later today around 5

Phenix
07-08-2010, 04:38 PM
I need to get out this year been too crazy busy. weekends are out of the question though. I hate lines