PDA

View Full Version : Car keyed: advice needed

5.9 R/T
12-13-2003, 12:57 AM
Long story short: Today at work my car was keyed by an older gentlemen driving a almost brand new grand prix. This was witnessed by myself and about 4 other people that I work with. I got his license number and a brief description of him. Now my question is should I persue this matter through the CP and insurance or should I try to handle it privately? If I handled it privately I might have a better chance at getting my repairs paid for by threatening police action. The only problem is getting the necessary information like his name and phone number to get in contact with him. But if I do charge him and go through insurance my rates might go up because I had to make a claim (stupid insurance companies suck). Either way, I don't really care as long as I get my car fixed and I don't have to pay for it. So anyone else have any experience with this sort of thing? Advice? Suggestions?

syeve
12-13-2003, 01:06 AM
I dont care what you did to make him think he should key your car...keying someones car is the lowest thing some fucker could do IMO. I would rather someone rip my door off than have it keyed. So my advice would be handle it privately, call him, say you have witnesses to the "event" and that if he does not come clean you'll sue him (or whatever you chose to say). My 2 cents

3G
12-13-2003, 01:17 AM
take his license to registry and run it then get his info.

damn he should be shot :guns: :guns: :guns:

JAYMEZ
12-13-2003, 01:19 AM
Your insurance wont go up because of it , it wasnt your fault , it falls under Vandalism

5.9 R/T
12-13-2003, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Your insurance wont go up because of it , it wasnt your fault , it falls under Vandalism

Everytime you make a claim, regardless of fault, the insurance company can raise your premiums.

Will the registry release that info to me? I don't think they will, but if they did that would be a huge help.

4G63Power
12-13-2003, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
Will the registry release that info to me? I don't think they will, but if they did that would be a huge help.

Highly doubtful . Sorry to hear bout this situation :(

Fluidic
12-13-2003, 06:15 AM
I would report it. Seriously, anybody doing anything to anyone else's car is not cool. The guy took time out of his day to key your car, the least you can do is try and scare him by going through the Calgary Police Service. :)

roopi
12-13-2003, 12:04 PM
The first thing you should do is go file a police report.

Strider
12-13-2003, 12:13 PM
go through the police, insurance will most likely cover it under vandalism, especially if there's someone who gets criminally charged with it

no sense trying to blackmail him.

BigShow
12-13-2003, 12:20 PM
The situation could get worse if you deal with him personally, filing a report with the police is the best idea.

speedracer
12-13-2003, 12:41 PM
Police first since the guy left at the scene of an accident.

3G
12-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Give me his license and I'll go talk to my friend at the Registry

HillBilly
12-13-2003, 12:48 PM
useing his plate number, find out who he is and where he lives. Then show up at about 3:00 AM and burn his fucking house to the ground. That would be the most satisfying

Talies R
12-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Stealth R/T
useing his plate number, find out who he is and where he lives. Then show up at about 3:00 AM and burn his fucking house to the ground. That would be the most satisfying

haha, property damage is a bitch!! Why would he want to act at that guys level :dunno:

HillBilly
12-13-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Talies R

haha, property damage is a bitch!! Why would he want to act at that guys level :dunno:

the old saying "don't lower yourself to that" is for pussies that don't have the balls to make a move. Burn motherfucker burn!

illeagle
12-13-2003, 02:00 PM
Call the cops, And ask for advise....is that possible?:dunno: :thumbsup:

Blue Devil 2
12-13-2003, 02:05 PM
Today at work my car was keyed by an older gentlemen

haha... :eek: You watched him do it?

googe
12-13-2003, 02:12 PM
your insurance wont go up. take him to small claims.

girlRACER
12-13-2003, 02:27 PM
Post his License Plate on here :D :bigpimp:

Sorry to hear about what happened. Never would've expected it from an old man :guns: :guns:

403Gemini
12-13-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER

Sorry to hear about what happened. Never would've expected it from an old man :guns: :guns:

probably was like "DAMN KIDS" or something

man it sucks, if younger peeps treat old peeps bad they are fuckin pricks, assholes, anything.

yet if a 60 year old cuts me off and gives me the finger im supposed to "RESPECT" my elder? i dunt get it
:dunno:

spike98
12-13-2003, 02:46 PM
Kick him in the balls so hard he will have to scratch his head to wack off.

Then call teh cops and take him to court.

Khyron
12-13-2003, 02:46 PM
I can't believe you watched him do it and didn' t go after him. Any guesses why he did it?

Secondly, CHARGE HIM. A criminal record is more damning than anything else but do NOT settle. If you catch someone vandalising a car etc you are basically saying it's OK if you let him off by paying. I would also make sure his employers find out about his record once convicted - a taste of the unemployment line would be sweet.

You have witnesses - go through the law and convict him. If you didn't have any witnesses or if he gets off, then you administer the nighttime beating.

Khyron

littledan
12-13-2003, 04:11 PM

the old saying "don't lower yourself to that" is for pussies that don't have the balls to make a move. Burn motherfucker burn!

hahah :rofl:

max_boost
12-13-2003, 04:15 PM
That is pathetic, I can't believe some people:guns: :thumbsdow

FiveFreshFish
12-13-2003, 04:48 PM
...my car was keyed by an older gentlemen...

Gentlemen don't key cars. http://vwvortex.rely.net/zeroforum_graphics/mad.gif http://vwvortex.rely.net/zeroforum_graphics/mad.gif http://vwvortex.rely.net/zeroforum_graphics/mad.gif

Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi

If you have a no-claims bonus, you will lose that when you submit a claim. Bottom line is that you'll pay more.

fast95pony
12-13-2003, 05:29 PM
I would get the bastard charged !! Then get a quote on the damage and take him to small claims court.

Why did he key your car ?? Was it just a random act ?? Perhaps he was drunk or on drugs ??

5.9 R/T
12-13-2003, 05:49 PM
OK so time for the full story. Where I work the parking lot is very small and we share it with several other businesses. Parking is at a premium at any time of the day. So this guy pulls in angle parks and takes up 2 spots. I get the bright idea to teach him a lesson and put my car right up against his drivers side door with what I thought was NOT enough room for him to get into his car. Well when he came out he proved me wrong. He slid in between the two cars, stood there playing with his keys with his back to me for ~30 seconds then opened his door squeezed in and took off. While he was doing this I was busy writing down his license plate and a description of him cause I knew what he was doing. I realize that I took the risk by trying to teach him a lesson but considering that I didn't cause any damage to his car I didn't expect any done to mine. Anyways, I've decided that I am going to file a police report tomorrow and give them the full story and see where it goes. I will try and post some pics tomorrow.

Weapon_R
12-13-2003, 05:56 PM
I would think that the threat of police action and an ultimatum to repair damages (inflated estimate to make it worthwhile for you, of course) should be okay. While his actions were completely disgusting, a police charge is something that will haunt him for his entire life and will probably not achieve anything different from a threat of action.

I dunno, it just seems that something that will cost him his career and hit his family hard is not something that I would want to be responsible for...even when you could PROBABLY get some extra compensation and the repairs paid in full without pursuing that path.

Pete92SL
12-13-2003, 06:01 PM

Everytime you make a claim, regardless of fault, the insurance company can raise your premiums.

Wrong :P Didn't happen to me when my car was vandalized and there was over 2400 dollars in damage. Besides, insurance rates are frozen right now anyways!

If you need his plates run, PM me the plate number and I'll check it out.

Pete

FiveFreshFish
12-13-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Pete92SL

(License plate: XXX - XXX Red Pontiac Grand Prix '00+ model with a black bug deflector)

Khyron
12-13-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I would think that the threat of police action and an ultimatum to repair damages (inflated estimate to make it worthwhile for you, of course) should be okay. While his actions were completely disgusting, a police charge is something that will haunt him for his entire life and will probably not achieve anything different from a threat of action.

I dunno, it just seems that something that will cost him his career and hit his family hard is not something that I would want to be responsible for...even when you could PROBABLY get some extra compensation and the repairs paid in full without pursuing that path.

Then he should have thought about it before doing it. I suppose you'd let a car thief or a house breaker go with a threat? If people would follow through on threats/punishments we wouldn't have as much crime dammit.

Charge him, AND make him pay. It's so rare to catch them he needs to be made an example of.

Khyron

maximus
12-13-2003, 09:15 PM
Sounds like a good ol' pissing contest....and you lost!!

How big is the scratch? If its just a small one he can say that because you parked so close that when he got in his door caused it. :dunno:

Wrong :P Didn't happen to me when my car was vandalized and there was over 2400 dollars in damage. Besides, insurance rates are frozen right now anyways!

Pete

And your insurance rate can increase after any claim. Even if an accident is not your fault. Whenever you are involved in an accident. If they didn't for your claim then consider yourself lucky!

89EF
12-13-2003, 10:59 PM
omg my car got keyed too on friday and i couldn't cath the scumbag that did it...but hey what comes around goes around this useless son of a bitch WILL get it someday...shit head just wait and see!:devil:

ninspeed
12-13-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER

HA HA HA
For the longest time we had somebody walking around our dealership with a big black marker writing on all the white cars or leaving marks ect.. easyly taken off... but we thought it was some young punk... well one day one of the mechanics caught him in the act.. the guy was like 80 years old... kinda funny when everybody was outside yelling at him...

5.9 R/T
12-13-2003, 11:24 PM

Pete

Keyword is can as maximus pointed out. I might take you up on that offer depending on what the police have to say about it.

Originally posted by maximus
Sounds like a good ol' pissing contest....and you lost!!

How big is the scratch? If its just a small one he can say that because you parked so close that when he got in his door caused it. :dunno:

There are multiple key marks down to the metal, at least 4 different strikes. I just washed it and it is worse then I orginally thought.

5abi
12-13-2003, 11:36 PM
shittttttttttt sorry 2 hear that man

my brandnew i mean 2month outta the show romm mustang black wuz scratched up nicely from panel 2 panel 2 panel

fuckin losers

MK3HKS
12-13-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Mx6GtTurbo
take his license to registry and run it then get his info.

damn he should be shot :guns: :guns: :guns:

:rolleyes:

registry doesnt give personel info to some joe shmoe off the streets.....u gotta be a cop

Chester
12-14-2003, 01:21 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

maximus
12-14-2003, 01:22 AM
I don't think cops have to go to the registries to get info on you. Isn't it in their onboard computers?

If you do go to the cops will this even give him a record? 1st time offence...some old guy...destruction of private property. I don't think his employer will care much that he will lose his job and end up in the unemployment line.

I think its time for some vigilanti justice. I also think that keyers are the lowest scum of the earth...especially the ones that do it because its a new car and they're jealous. What I would do is this. Find out where he lives. Go key up his car....but I mean KEY his car. Go at night time and just key the shit out of it. Front to back, circles, hood....whatever you wish. He'll defanitely get the message. He also won't go to the cops because whats he going to say?? "I keyed someones car and he keyed mine worse". But you're going to have to pay for the touch up on yours or touch it up and live with it. Kinda sucks you say? Well the satisfaction comes when you drive by his house a week or so later. If his car is still scratched laugh! Then drive by the next week. Do this untill he gets it fixed. Then scratch that shit up nice and good again. Now thats some good revenge. If he claims it on his insurance they'll think something fishy the second time and his premiuims will go up. If not he pays out of his pocket for a full paint job (if you do a good job). Or key in the words I like to key cars.

I would definately feel better even after paying for the touch up myself. He would definately learn his lesson

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

girlRACER
12-14-2003, 02:09 AM
I'm wondering if all these old men going around vandalizing people's cars have dimentia or some other form of mental illness. I can see a lot of old people at the old folks home I volunteered for doing that...but not intentionally. :( :dunno:

Zero102
12-14-2003, 02:21 AM
Hmm, vigalante justice sounds so tempting here. My advice to you, don't sink to his level, if you go key his car, then you are just making the problem worse.

I know it is tempting. The best thing to do is, call the police, write a statement, give them his info, they will follow up (I've done this before), and they will track him down for you, don't worry about going to a registry to get his info, it will not work.

DO NOT CLAIM IT ON INSURANCE. It will crank your rates up, and that would just not be fair, if you caught him, then take the high road, do it legally, it will give him a record, although it will not get him fired or anything, it's not like it's murder here.
Get the police to follow through on charges, if they do not order him to pay for the repairs, take him to small claims court, he will have no choice but to either pay you, or have his wages (or pension) garnishee'd. There is nothing like smiling at him when he hands you the check to fix your car, hell, get the whole damn thing repainted, otherwise it won't look right.
He will think twice before he parks in two stalls. Those lines are not just there to look pretty.
I understand how tempting it is to mess up his car, given that it is both new and nice. Had a guy drag a key up the fender of my 944, right after I bought it, in a SAIT parking lot, watched him do it, got it paid for in about 3 weeks, that guy nearly shit his pants when the cops showed up at his house.

5abi
12-14-2003, 01:11 PM
my insureane did'nt go up one penny one i claimed for my keying

Zero102
12-14-2003, 01:18 PM
You are very lucky then, perhaps you have had a good history with the company you are currently with. Have you renewed since you claimed?
Right now, insurance companies will outright rip you off if you claim. Since they can't jack your rates unless your driving situation changes, they will use any excuse to say that it changed, and crank up your rates.

MerfBall
12-15-2003, 09:08 AM
Don't forget that there are changes coming to insurance in the near future and there have been some thought going into rates according to number and dollars of claims filed. So don't increase the possibility of screwing urself in the future.

Anyways, I don't see why you would even consider claiming on your insurance especially if you have witnesses and seen the guy do it. Make the guy pay for it.

I would go through the cops tho, let them take care of it. He'll most likely get charged. the other thing to do if you go to the cops to file the report is to ask for something regarding seeking dollars for the damages. I forget what it's called when you file, but basically what ends up happening is that the guy will get charged with vandalism (gets a record) and the judge will order him to pay restitution for the damages which of course will go to you. But you have to make sure to ask for the form of some sort to fill out when you file the report.

5.9 R/T
12-15-2003, 07:42 PM
I'm not going to risk charges on myself just to get some petty revenge on some 50 year old prick who thinks he king shit. It's just not worth it. The cops say he will most likely be charged with mischef but because of his age and his (probably) clean record he'll probably be forced to do some community service and pay for the damages. I think thats exactly what this guy needs to bring him down a few notches, serving food at the mustard seed for a few days might just teach him a lesson, or it'll just piss him off a whole bunch. Either way, I'm happy. ;)

Khyron
12-15-2003, 09:49 PM
Keep on them tho - make sure he gets screwed!

Khyron

rc2002
12-16-2003, 11:49 AM
It was a good call not to confront him when he did the keying. Now he'll totally be caught by surprise when the cops show up at his door! And it's a good call not to risk charges on yourself trying to get revenge on that guy. Keying a car is a pretty stupid way to get a criminal record...

There's a lot of old guys with bad attitudes. I was late for a final exam last year so I was driving fast and this old guy was riding my ass the whole time. Then he pulled into the parking spot beside me and waited for me to get out of the car before saying "The road isn't a race track asshole!" I wanted some vigilante justice, but it would've been stupid to risk a criminal record because of some prick.

maximus
12-16-2003, 03:12 PM
Maybe he shouldn't have been an ass in the first place and parked so close so the guy couldn't get in in the first place. Obviously you wanted some sort of confrontation.....

nosegrindR
12-16-2003, 04:23 PM
go to the registry and try to get their info (phone number etc.)
If they say that you can't get the number of anything from them due to privacy issues, take it to the cops. I hate cops but i remember when a dude backed into my car and drove away, somebody got his liscence plate #. She told me to call the cops to report a hit and run. It was nice cause nothing really happened to my car, but the guy paid me 600$ under the table so that i can "repair" my car. On top of that, he got charged with hit and run, which caused his insurance to skyrocket.

frostyda9
12-16-2003, 07:18 PM
First of all, go through the legal channels, accept his apology and get your ride fixed. Then, acquire his personal information and, some time later, go to work with the discrete anarchy. If you act now, it will be obvious retribution and it will cause a legal mess.

How you could sit there and write down info and not run out and make a cranium pancake with your boot is beyond me, but it's better that you didn't.

Dj_Stylz
12-16-2003, 07:24 PM
Damn sorry to hear that try post some pics

5.9 R/T
12-16-2003, 07:35 PM
Hindsight is 20/20, had he not parked like a jackass this thread wouldn't be here right now. I didn't have time to get outside to 'confront' him before he took off as I wanted to make sure I got his plate number before he left. Besides what would have happened if I did confront him? He denies it and drives off or we come to blows? Either way my case wouldn't look as strong as it does now.

hampstor
12-16-2003, 10:26 PM
Hindsight is 20/20, had he not parked like a jackass this thread wouldn't be here right now. I didn't have time to get outside to 'confront' him before he took off as I wanted to make sure I got his plate number before he left. Besides what would have happened if I did confront him? He denies it and drives off or we come to blows? Either way my case wouldn't look as strong as it does now.

Wow thats REALLY bad. Good thing he didnt go from door to panel because then they'd have to repaint 2 panels on the car. I hope he learns his lesson to respect other people's property.

Good luck !

Mckenzie
12-17-2003, 12:03 AM

Thats horrible. :thumbsdown: I feel for ya....now it will just be a hassle to go get it repainted, matched, etc.

The guy seriouisly has something in his ass for doing something like that to another persons private property. Maybe he needs to get some ass....

:devil:

1960vwrag
01-12-2004, 01:05 PM
Hello, I drive a primer 1960 volkswagen ragtop and i had the door and the rear quarter panel kicked in, I could fix it myself cheaply, but then the guy who did it wouldnt have to go to jail.
I filed charges with the sheriffs dept and now i am in the process of getting estimates to go to court. My 1st estimate was 1294 dollars at a local body shop. I could get a lot of bug parts for that kind of money. the giy who did it trieds to jump me with 5 or more people, I guess he wanted to show off for his friends so he kicked my car and tried to punch out my window, it looked like it must have hurt his hand. I also have a witness that was in the car with me file a report, if you have witnesses make sure they write a report, before the action is no longer fresh on their mind, I am going to keep you posted on my progress

now i have to go to some more body shops for estimates, the sheriff said you need at least 3 and they have to be over 400 dollars so its a felony,at least in california otherwise the charges might not stick so remember to use the expensive estimates when you get them written up the more expensive the better because you are not paying for it he is and you need the charges to stick
judges also do not like people who vandalize peoples property he will have to explain in court his justifacation for vandalizing the car, and I do not believe theres any exuse that will hold up in court for that

Khyron
01-12-2004, 01:36 PM
I firmly support hanging them out to dry, whether they are old or not. Keep it up and put those vandals in jail (or give em a nice big fine with com service). Maybe slopping soup for the homeless will show em scratching a car is a petty thing to do.

Khyron

Seanith
01-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Yeah report him to the police and try to get some of your co-workers to get reports written as well. Vandalizing someones car is the worst you can do. I would love to see that fuck get charged.

1badPT
01-12-2004, 04:05 PM
OK insurance does not go up for not-at-fault claims. Talk to your brokers if you don't know how a situation is going to affect your rates. Your broker is on your side, and if he thinks your claim is going to make your rates rise on renewal, they'll be able to tell you so you can decide whether to call the insurer and place a claim or not.

2nd, as much as it sucks, don't go do vigilante justice. There is a lot to lose if caught, and it won't matter that you are doing it "because he did it to you first". Seriously, I wonder how many more posts we'll see from some people here before they carry out their own brand of justice and end up getting themselves killed or jailed.

I know this post is old, but it upsets me when I see people give insurance advice when they don't know what they are talking about. And suggesting to burn the guy's house down? WTF??

Zero102
01-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Don't claim it, sue him, make him pay.

5.9 R/T
01-13-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by 1badPT
OK insurance does not go up for not-at-fault claims. Talk to your brokers if you don't know how a situation is going to affect your rates. Your broker is on your side, and if he thinks your claim is going to make your rates rise on renewal, they'll be able to tell you so you can decide whether to call the insurer and place a claim or not.

I disagree, I've been involved in two not at fault accidents (one hit from behind another hit and run by a drunk) and both times my insurance has gone up. There have also been cases (not me) where just phoneing your broker to discuss a claim has caused rates to go up. It's all dependant upon your insurance company how long you have been with them how many claims you have made and what your driving record is like. For instance if you have 10 not at fault claims in a year there isn't an insurance company around that wouldn't raise your rates.

I still don't have any news as CPS seems to be dragging their feet on this and have yet to get back to me.

Zero102
01-13-2004, 02:43 AM
I got rear-ended twice, obviously not at fault, and my insurance company jacked my rates through the roof. I would be afraid to make a claim against them.

Usually the CPS is pretty good about these things, they were very prompt when some jerk smashed one of my locks.
If it has been more than a day or two, try calling them back, sometimes things do get lost in the shuffle.

Numb
01-13-2004, 08:12 AM
1) Insurance companies can definetely raise your premiums regardless at whose fault it is. That's a fact...

2) I agree with the posting his plate number here.. :angel: We'll have fun with him... :nut:

AutodreamMarvin
01-13-2004, 09:28 AM
OK so time for the full story. Where I work the parking lot is very small and we share it with several other businesses. Parking is at a premium at any time of the day. So this guy pulls in angle parks and takes up 2 spots. I get the bright idea to teach him a lesson and put my car right up against his drivers side door with what I thought was NOT enough room for him to get into his car. Well when he came out he proved me wrong. He slid in between the two cars, stood there playing with his keys with his back to me for ~30 seconds then opened his door squeezed in and took off. While he was doing this I was busy writing down his license plate and a description of him cause I knew what he was doing. I realize that I took the risk by trying to teach him a lesson but considering that I didn't cause any damage to his car I didn't expect any done to mine. Anyways, I've decided that I am going to file a police report tomorrow and give them the full story and see where it goes. I will try and post some pics tomorrow.

it seems as though you instigated this whole ordeal. you wanted to teach him a lesson, and though no one deserves to get their car keyed, lets be realistic here. you did try to piss him off.

as for the aftermath, you said you don't want insurance to raise because of this, and seeing as how you've already had your premiums raised due to circumstance in which you were not at fault, your best bet is to confront the vandal. calmly propose that he either pay for the damages,or leave you with no other choice but to file a report to cps. (please emphasize the word calmly) if he starts to get unpleasant remind him that you have witnesses and that if tries anything rash, that more serious charges would be layed upon him. more often than not, he will agree to your terms and both people walk better off.(him without charges, and you with your car repaired)

1badPT
01-13-2004, 11:01 AM

I disagree, I've been involved in two not at fault accidents (one hit from behind another hit and run by a drunk) and both times my insurance has gone up. There have also been cases (not me) where just phoneing your broker to discuss a claim has caused rates to go up. It's all dependant upon your insurance company how long you have been with them how many claims you have made and what your driving record is like. For instance if you have 10 not at fault claims in a year there isn't an insurance company around that wouldn't raise your rates.

Sorry - that is not what it's dependant on. You're broker does not work for the insurance company, he works for you. You can discuss anything you want with your broker and they cannot do anything to raise your rates - they just sell the policy to you, and service it. Also rates can go up for other reasons - economic changes, more claims in a particular year than previous years, etc. Not at fault claims do not cause YOUR rates to increase. I'm done on this point, if you don't beleive me thats fine.

Originally posted by Numb
1) Insurance companies can definetely raise your premiums regardless at whose fault it is. That's a fact...

1) Nope. But here's a fact: you make stuff up and call it fact.

Numb
01-13-2004, 11:56 AM
If you make an insurance claim they are allowed raise your premiums... that is definitely a fact.

I did NOT say that they would for sure, I said it's possible.

Are you telling me i'm wrong?

I do speak from experience.
Rear-ended, and my stereo was stolen (obviously two different occasions).

Both times they warned me of a premium increase, so I left it unreported.

1badPT
01-13-2004, 12:16 PM
Well you've at least proved one point for me from my previous post - at least you talk to your broker for his advice on whether to place a claim or not. I wonder if you'll at least agree with me on that for the benefit of 5.9 R/T's sake.

Secondly a rear-ender will not increase your rates unless:
1)You were the person who rear ended the other driver (automatic At Fault)
2)You were backing up at the the time of the accident(AF)
3)You were changing lanes when rearended. (AF)

There may be other circumstances that would put you AF in a rear ender, but I can't think of any more at the moment. My general point here is NAF (not at fault) claims do not cause increases.

For the stereo, there are a number of things to consider, but in general if it was stolen, its a NAF claim. No increase. If a portion of the value has to be claimed through your house insurance(which happens because most systems cost more than the measly limit placed on auto insurance policies for ICE), that WILL cause an increase on your home policy.

One final point - the way the law and insurance treat you are completely seperate of each other. The law (or even the police officer himself) may say that you were not the cause of the accident, but insurance will use a set of "fault determination rules" based on the position of each car at the time of the accident. If you've been in an accident, don't look to the police officer to find out if you're at fault for the accident, because from an insurance perspective, he probably doesn't know. What he does know is whether you've broken a law and whether charges should be laid.

M3STIMini
01-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Whats with Calgarians and car keying!:guns:

Zero102
01-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Well, 1badPT, I have news for you.
When I got rear-ended, my rates went up, both times, and my insurance company never paid out a cent. Some of the insurance companies out there are crooks, mine included. Now, it is definately not legal for them to do it, but with the rate freeze in effect, they will claim that it changed your status with the company, and they can re-assess your policy, then crank your rates up. They are doing anything they can (and some things they can't) to raise your premiums, so they can keep raking in the cash.
When they did it to me, I had to go as far as calling the president of the company in toronto, and speaking directly to him. After 4 calls, I finally got my rates restored to normal.

It is definately simpler to go after him for repairs. Regardless of whether you instigated it or not, there was no need for vandalism. So, I would try talking to him, but if he gets really defensive, just go to the cops, and file charges. I wouldn't bother fighting with him. He knows that he can be charged.

Numb
01-13-2004, 09:28 PM
I agree with Zero, go after him first.

If that fails, charge him...
It's not worth it to file a claim.

noyzz_boyzz
01-13-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by maximus
I don't think cops have to go to the registries to get info on you. Isn't it in their onboard computers?

What I would do is this. Find out where he lives. Go key up his car....but I mean KEY his car. Go at night time and just key the shit out of it. Front to back, circles, hood....whatever you wish. He'll defanitely get the message. He also won't go to the cops because whats he going to say?? "I keyed someones car and he keyed mine worse". But you're going to have to pay for the touch up on yours or touch it up and live with it. Kinda sucks you say? Well the satisfaction comes when you drive by his house a week or so later. If his car is still scratched laugh! Then drive by the next week. Do this untill he gets it fixed. Then scratch that shit up nice and good again. Now thats some good revenge. If he claims it on his insurance they'll think something fishy the second time and his premiuims will go up. If not he pays out of his pocket for a full paint job (if you do a good job). Or key in the words I like to key cars.

I would definately feel better even after paying for the touch up myself. He would definately learn his lesson

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:rofl: :rofl:

hockeybronx
01-14-2004, 10:06 PM
First I would try and contact him somehow and tell him that you have witnesses and you want it repaired. If he argues with you then take it to the police, and use the witnesses.

Damn old bastards, just because they're rich and their lives are now pointless doesn't mean they have the right to damage things that mean a lot to us.

roopi
10-12-2004, 04:34 PM
What happened with this? Has there been any updates?

5.9 R/T
10-12-2004, 04:45 PM
I just talked with the cop that was handling my case last week. Apparently he cut a deal with the crown for some community service time. How much he has to do or whether or not the charge stays on his record he didn't know or wouldn't tell. If I still had my Jeep I would be forced to take him to small claims to get him to cover the damages, but luckily for him I don't. The thing I don't understand is that the crown could have made him pay me for my damages instead of potentially wasting more court time on this prick but didn't.

thinmyster
10-12-2004, 06:40 PM
throw some fuking bologna on that shit heads car
i dunno i heard it fuks up the paint or something
it would be quick and easy

Seanith
10-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster
throw some fuking bologna on that shit heads car
i dunno i heard it fuks up the paint or something
it would be quick and easy

Its gotta be Oscar Myers though right?

badseed
10-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Report to police, get it fixed and then.................. after your car is fixed and better than new i got 1 word..............PAYBACK:devil:

5.9 R/T
10-12-2004, 07:34 PM
Long story short: Today at work my car was keyed by an older gentlemen driving a almost brand new grand prix. This was witnessed by myself and about 4 other people that I work with. I got his license number and a brief description of him. Now my question is should I persue this matter through the CP and insurance or should I try to handle it privately? If I handled it privately I might have a better chance at getting my repairs paid for by threatening police action. The only problem is getting the necessary information like his name and phone number to get in contact with him. But if I do charge him and go through insurance my rates might go up because I had to make a claim (stupid insurance companies suck). Either way, I don't really care as long as I get my car fixed and I don't have to pay for it. So anyone else have any experience with this sort of thing? Advice? Suggestions?

Post Date: 12-12-2003 11:57 PM

Originally posted by badseed
Report to police, get it fixed and then.................. after your car is fixed and better than new i got 1 word..............PAYBACK:devil:

Do you really think they will do anything even though its been almost a year? Even if I report it the guy will just prolong the process making it take forever and then eventually cut a deal and get off with some community service so why should I even bother reporting it? :rolleyes:

teamPRO
10-12-2004, 08:42 PM
Did he have a lambo at least to backup his shitty park job :D