PDA

View Full Version : Modding a car... Basics?

Hitman47
06-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Can anyone point me out the basics to know to mod a car, so that it looks "gorgeous" and/or its enging makes "scary :love:" noises?

Also to keep it in good shape, to you just need to wash it, change oil once a month, and put in good gasoline?

badatusrnames
06-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Start with the right car...

torob
06-01-2010, 12:16 PM
In other words, you just bought a car ... and you're wondering where to start off to change things to make it faster and look/sound better

What parts should be done first -- what parts matter... make it look better etc.

Hitman47
06-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by torob
In other words, you just bought a car ... and you're wondering where to start off to change things to make it faster and look/sound better

What parts should be done first -- what parts matter... make it look better etc.

Exactly :clap: , and add to that "where to mod it" and "how expensive it is"

Redlyne_mr2
06-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Check out the garage section on this forum for build ideas.

Ukyo8
06-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Answers will vary greatly depending on what you got.

what did you end up buying?

gretz
06-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Hitman47

Exactly :clap: , and add to that "where to mod it" and "how expensive it is"

What car and whats your budget?

Answer these and it will be easier for Beyond to start a debate on what you should do lol...

Hitman47
06-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Ok thanx guys.

I bought a Civic. I thought mods did not depend too much on the car. (Like if I wanna buy a hood wing, I can install it in any car I want right?)

And my budget is not too high. Like I could spend MAX a couple of grands on it.

benyl
06-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Leaving it stock is the ultimate mod.

Add gas, change fluids and replace tires as needed.

bubbley
06-01-2010, 01:34 PM
get rims and drop it...done deal!

Graham_A_M
06-01-2010, 01:39 PM
^ Dont go stupid modding your car, since you can generally expect to get 20cents on the dollar for everything you invest on it. I bought a car with $20k invested in it for $6k. Thing is, that car without mods would have sold for $3k. :nut:

Mod the car to your taste, but keep the money in your back pocket. Keep in mind; the more you mod the car: the smaller the demographic would be of people that would want to buy it if you ever sold it. Not as many people would want a Civic with a $10k stereo, a full Gucci interior redo and a sparkling puke orange paintjob as would somebody that just wants a nice clean civic that was taken care of.
Specialty cars are very hard to sell, so always keep that in mind.

EDIT: And please, do NOT buy a hood wing for your car, or a wing in any fashion. No they do not help your car in anyway, since its a FWD. Adding downforce to the rear wheels is asinine. It looks even worse too.

Rims are transferable, and you can always sell the lowering springs if you want, as they're easy to remove. Just buy some sharp looking wheels, lower it and call it a day. Total cost? $1200 difference in handling and feel? surreal.

Mitsu3000gt
06-01-2010, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't recommend putting any money at all into a civic beyond regular maintenance unless you just get some subtle, tasteful, visual modifications like a clean set of rims or something. You aren't likely to see much money back for any additions you make to your car.

sexualbanana
06-01-2010, 02:26 PM
- Look at car magazines to see what you like and what you don't like. Keep in mind, a lot of those cars are made for a single purpose, while you will more than likely be driving your car everyday in all kinds of conditions and terrain. 3" front clearance might look awesome, but it makes it hell to get around anywhere without cringing.

- Pricing is just a matter of meeting people and seeing what they're experiences are with certain suppliers. For the most part, it's buyer beware. Don't expect the price one person paid for a service to be the same for you, prices can be different for different people.

- Think about what's important for you. If you like music and audio, then go that route. There's plenty of resources to help you on that. If you want purely aesthetics, then that's fine too. Don't let asshats like us convince you that looks aren't important. And if it's performance, that's perfectly okay too.

- Realize that there's tradeoff whenever you decide to modify something. Audio usually makes you a prime target for theft. Body work can ruin your ride quality and also means you should be more careful about speed bumps, curbs, pothole, etc. Performance usually means you give up a little on reliability.

Hitman47
06-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
- Look at car magazines to see what you like and what you don't like. Keep in mind, a lot of those cars are made for a single purpose, while you will more than likely be driving your car everyday in all kinds of conditions and terrain. 3" front clearance might look awesome, but it makes it hell to get around anywhere without cringing.

- Pricing is just a matter of meeting people and seeing what they're experiences are with certain suppliers. For the most part, it's buyer beware. Don't expect the price one person paid for a service to be the same for you, prices can be different for different people.

- Think about what's important for you. If you like music and audio, then go that route. There's plenty of resources to help you on that. If you want purely aesthetics, then that's fine too. Don't let asshats like us convince you that looks aren't important. And if it's performance, that's perfectly okay too.

- Realize that there's tradeoff whenever you decide to modify something. Audio usually makes you a prime target for theft. Body work can ruin your ride quality and also means you should be more careful about speed bumps, curbs, pothole, etc. Performance usually means you give up a little on reliability.

Very nice answer : ).

Am I a shallow person for wanting a car which looks good.
Say like this one?
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1999-Honda-Civic-Hatchback-W0QQAdIdZ207923512

bubbley
06-01-2010, 02:34 PM

Say like this one?
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1999-Honda-Civic-Hatchback-W0QQAdIdZ207923512

You must be a young buck..develop a taste first before ricifing your vehicle...remember the phrase 'keep it clean'... also you shallow mofo! jk

nightfx
06-01-2010, 02:34 PM

Say like this one?

I'd say you're not very shallow at all if you don't mind being seen with that. :D

stealth1313
06-01-2010, 02:35 PM

Am I a stupid person for wanting a car which looks gay?
Say like this one?
fixed

Skyline_Addict
06-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Ask yourself what you want out of the car, and what you want out of your money. Use that as an avenue to make compromises (because 99% of us can't afford to do everything we want to our cars, atleast all at once), but never cheap out on things.

Do your research. Get the most out of your money, both intangibly and tangibly. This means taking into consideration how much you'll enjoy your new add-ons and even how much you may get back for them if you choose to sell.

Bolt-on moddifications for a market as saturated as yours is probably a good thing. Selection will be abundant and will be generally easy to sell on the used market. With that being said, look at the used market for options. For my s2000, I've managed to aquire a good quantity of very high quality parts, at the savings that you get from buying used. No used part is perfect, but take your pick of the litter of many parts floating around for the Civic, and you should find a good deal.

My last suggestion is to modify your car slowly, and in phases. This gives you more time to research and get a feel for where you want your car to go. One part at a time. For example you may buy an invader body kit, altezzas, whale-fin wing all at once, and decide you do not like the whole look of your car. Alternatively, if you just got the altezzas first....then realized that maybe you made the wrong choice, then you're not as deep in the hole.

ryansteg
06-01-2010, 02:39 PM
1. Canadian Tire offers a great selection of goodies.
2. Stickers add uniqueness.
3. You can lower the car just by cutting the springs.
4. Tint it yourself by using soap and a ruler.

Good luck.

beyond_ban
06-01-2010, 02:39 PM

Say like this one?

Please, for the love of God, do not do that to your car. The Fast and the Furious WAS cool, but now styles have changed. Watch this for an idea of what to do to your Honda...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaeHpKgocqc

There are a few different parts to the complete documentary.

Hitman47
06-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by stealth1313

fixed

Are posts like this that I will never understand. Where did you add to the thread in anyway? Go and take some self-esteem pills. You certainly need them. (Im serious on this, Ive done a lot of psychology :eek: )

EDIT: If I saw somebody driving that car down the street (+maybe dark windows). Id be like "cool". And I know that all of the people I know (none of them experts with cars), would think the same.

cjay^
06-01-2010, 02:47 PM
just dont put any illest stickers on the back window and you're good

sexualbanana
06-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by ryansteg
1. Canadian Tire offers a great selection of goodies.
2. Stickers add uniqueness.
3. You can lower the car just by cutting the springs.
4. Tint it yourself by using soap and a ruler.

Good luck.

Originally posted by beyond_ban

Please, for the love of God, do not do that to your car. The Fast and the Furious WAS cool, but now styles have changed. Watch this for an idea of what to do to your Honda...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaeHpKgocqc

There are a few different parts to the complete documentary.

If that's what he likes, that what he likes. Far be it for any of us to tell him how to do stuff. As long as he's doing because he's not doing for some other lame reason, then that's fine. The blue civic isn't exactly to my taste, but I'm sure my old civic wasn't to everyone's taste either.

403ep3
06-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Haha I saw his post about that "nice" civic and was gonna post but after refreshing he already had lots of nice comments lol

ryansteg
06-01-2010, 03:00 PM
another reason why Canadian Tire is a great choice for auto customization, you can install parts in their lit parking lot and show off the new look on the ride home. :thumbsup:

nonlinear
06-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by ryansteg
another reason why Canadian Tire is a great choice for auto customization, you can install parts in their lit parking lot and show off the new look on the ride home. :thumbsup:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

FiveFreshFish
06-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Install lowering springs and keep your stock rims. Done.

torob
06-01-2010, 05:08 PM
The blue civic would look sick without the hood i think, seems pretty clean

StreetRacerX
06-01-2010, 05:23 PM
The blue civic:

-Stock hood
-No body kit
-No egay taillights or headlights
-No Z3 Fenders
-Keep wheels
-Add Coilovers or comfortable spring strut combo(KYB AGX+Eibach Pro Kit for a daily driver)
-Leave the minor bolt ons in the engine.

Justin-88
06-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by cjay^
just dont put any illest stickers on the back window and you're good

Ive seen so goddamn many of those, and I have no idea what they mean.

Pretty sure ima throw a Sickest sticker on and start a new trend.

WrongWheelDrive
06-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by stealth1313

fixed

I lol'd

stealth1313
06-08-2010, 11:20 PM

Are posts like this that I will never understand. Where did you add to the thread in anyway? Go and take some self-esteem pills. You certainly need them. (Im serious on this, Ive done a lot of psychology :eek: )

EDIT: If I saw somebody driving that car down the street (+maybe dark windows). Id be like "cool". And I know that all of the people I know (none of them experts with cars), would think the same. If I saw you driving that car down the street, I would be like "what a faggot" while the rest of the people with me agree.