PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy, garage door torsion spring.

cidley69
06-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Home Depot doesn't sell these, as they are "too dangerous."

It is the big spring that goed ontop of the garage door, to assist the door opener with the weight of the door.

Does anyone know where to buy one of these? (or the proper name of this spring)

rony_espana
06-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Mine snapped and I had it replaced, only cost me about $200 including the labour and parts, the company is Quality Garage Door Services and # is (403) 969-2120. He also showed up right away which was nice.

Super_Geo
06-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Yeah my parents just replaced their torsion springs on their garage door last month.

I got quotes for 4 places... they all charged between $220-250 to replace both springs.

Normal springs are good for ~10,000 cycles.
Galvanized springs are good for ~13,000 cycles.

The galvanized ones cost ~$20-30 more.

You can do it yourself, but I hear it's a pain in the ass... from sourcing the parts to unwinding the springs, etc.

Xtrema
06-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Yeah, leave it to the pros. No something you want to try.

AndyL
06-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Galvanized (typically actually zinc plated, very few are really true galvanized, that's more a commercial thing) are actually lower in cycleage than oil tempered - all things equal.

You can get springs up to several hundred thousand cycles on any door - just a matter of sizing them for that (all the garage door companies should have the book or program to do it) - it'll cost ya though, spring wire's sold by weight/length and could result in needing other changes (headplates, spring anchors drums) - Depending on size/configuration.

Take em into creative door - they'll cut you a new set, or pull em off the shelf depending on size... Springs alone will cost ya about 60$ea on average for a regular residential spring - do both - if ones gone, the other's about to... saves going through the hassle again in a few months...

General/Equal door, and ultralite also sell them to retail customers, but I understand they're more expensive.

Totem has a few of the more common springs (typically 16x7 and 9x7 Steelcraft T12s) on the shelf if I recall. Also have some extensions springs for those with the old kneeknockers. No clue on their pricing...

Or you can PM me :)