PDA

View Full Version : Race City Gets City Assistance

vincent-h
06-02-2010, 11:13 AM
It looks like Race City is going to be around just a bit longer with help from the City of Calgary.

Page: B8
Section: City & Region
Publication Type: Daily Newspaper
C algary will spend $421,000 to build a road to keep Race City running for two more
years.
After council called off plans to close down the oval, drag strip and go-kart track, the
city offered to maintain only one road entry to the sprawling complex, which sits on
city property.
But with cart racers having to reach the track by driving through the city's landfill
weigh-station area, city officials reconsidered during lease negotiations and agreed to
build a secondary access for Race City.
"We have a responsibility to make sure that when you lease the property, you've got
to give them the appropriate access," said Dave Griffiths, Calgary's waste and
recycling director.
City hall initially planned to let Race City's lease expire by 2010, to allow for
preparations for the southeast site's future as part of Calgary's landfill.
After Ald. Ric McIver successfully led the push to have the lease renewed -- although
the city settled for two years, rather than the five years sought -- council voted
against spending the $3 million that officials said was necessary so environmental
prep work could proceed with Race City still on-site.
The notion of paying for Race City's extra access doesn't sit well with Ald. Linda Fox-
Mellway, one of the council members who opposed extending the track's life.
"I certainly was not in favour of the city taxpayer paying additional money for a
private business," she said.
McIver's motion also directed the city to protect access to both Race City and the cart
club.
"Legally, you can't take away access to anyone's property, whether they're leasing
from the city or not," McIver said. "It wasn't so much as something extra for Race
City."
When Race City's lease finally runs out after the 2011 season, the new access road
will likely be used for the city's environmental assessments, Griffiths noted.
After putting the job to tender, the city awarded it last month to the second-lowest
bidder, a contractor who bid $421,220.
Art McKenzie's motorsports complex used to have five access roads. As the city's
landfill operation expanded, that was reduced last year to only one -- the
northernmost road near 114th Avenue and 68th Street S.E. -- which caused
headaches on nights when races attracted 5,000 or more spectators, McKenzie said.
Motorists didn't have to slog through the whole property to reach the go-kart track,
but instead would take 68th Street and go through the gated road used for the
landfill's scale house. That would have become a security issue, Fox-Mellway said.
McKenzie was furious when Calgary was initially offering only one access point, but
successfully negotiated for another city-paid road.
"They became more rational," he said.
As for the $421,000 tab for the road and associated fencing?
9 of 44
"I have been offended and still am upset about these unnecessary expenses like that
because of bad planning and stubbornness on the city's part," McKenzie said.
"There's no reason I should be paying for their errors."
The new road should be complete by late June, McKenzie said.
[email protected]

ercchry
06-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Linda Fox-Mellway... who keeps voting for this old bitty into office

scat330
06-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
Linda Fox-Mellway... who keeps voting for this old bitty into office

The surrounding old bitty's.

toastgremlin
06-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Fox-Mellway was acclaimed because nobody ran against her. She then took out a bunch of billboards bragging about how much Ward 14 must love her because they ignored a fundamental tenet of democracy.

I wrote to her several times about Race City, and I'm sure other Beyonders did too. I'm willing to bet nobody wrote to her in favour of closing Race City.

Kennyredline
06-02-2010, 12:26 PM
It's amazing that so many people are against keeping Race City around, it sounds like the city has fucked them over at every turn, pardon the pun.
I think the most important part of that article is where it says "5000 people show up..." To me, that's a small indication of how viable Race City really is.

Thaco
06-02-2010, 12:28 PM
if the idiots wouldn't have torn up racecity's road, they wouldn't have to replace, it, simple as that.

GOnSHO
06-02-2010, 12:28 PM
LFM needs to empty the sand outta her vag...