PDA

View Full Version : Sugar: The bitter Truth

wintonyk
06-02-2010, 03:19 PM
I just finished watching the video and thought I would share.

Its an hour and a half long. But if anyone is truly curious about what has caused obesity or realizing that its not as simple as calories in vs calories out, or that low fat is the way to go you may want to rethink.

There is a bit of biochemistry in here too though. But enjoy.
dBnniua6-oM

oops posted this in bodybuilding not health and fitness. Mods please move. Thanks.

A790
06-05-2010, 01:52 PM
GREAT video. Thanks for teh post!dx

Redlined_8000
06-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Just watched the whole video. thanks for the link.

dirtsniffer
06-05-2010, 04:12 PM
^^anyone want to post some coles notes for us lazy guys?

flipstah
06-05-2010, 05:01 PM
High sugar diet = high fat.

wintonyk
06-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Sorry shoulda done that to start with:

Fructose consumption has gone up over the past century:
Prior to WW2 something like 15 g/day
1950 20-24g/day global trade caused this
1970 30g/day still global trade
1977 50g/day 2 years after high fructose corn syrup hits market
presently 72g/day

Obesity has been on a constant rise since the 70's Even with the evil of fat and consumption going down by 25% since then obesity is still on the rise.

Why because fructose (HFCS, white sugar (sucrose =fructose and glucose)) is a toxin in our body. It needs to go to our liver the same way fat does. This is whats causing obesity.

Fibre consumption has gone down.
Presently the average is 12-14g/day (scary because a bowl of fibre 1 is 14)
100 years ago the average was 50g/day
And its estimated that 10, 000 years ago people consumed between 200 and 300g

Basically you have to options. FAT or FART. Meaning eat lots of sugar and get fat. Or cut out sugar and consume the natural sources through grains and fruit and vegetables and be a little gassy from fibre.

The numbers i stated are from what I remember watching the video so i am likely off a bit, but it still gets the point across.

cjay^
06-05-2010, 07:33 PM
I stopped watching after he said this:

"Why do I call it the Coca Cola "conspiracy" (lol) whats in coke caffeine, so whats caffiene its a mild stimulant and also a dieretic, so what else is in coke, we'll get to the sugar in a minute what else? ssssalt (lol) 55mg of sodium per can, its like drinkin a pizza"

Really?

according to the nutritional information page on pizza huts website, one slice (1/6 according to the chart) of a 12" medium pan pizza has 500mg of sodium, meaning that the whole pizza has 3000mg of sodium. 55mg of sodium doesn't even compare to 3 grams.

The guy seems like a fucking moron, or he knows this and just wants to exaggerate a "conspiracy"

r0g3r
06-05-2010, 07:46 PM
^ hes a moron because he failed to compare sodium content of a coca cola to a pizza? hm..

anyways, I remember watching that video a while back, its a good heads up for people on low-fat diets..

A790
06-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by cjay^
I stopped watching after he said this:

"Why do I call it the Coca Cola "conspiracy" (lol) whats in coke caffeine, so whats caffiene its a mild stimulant and also a dieretic, so what else is in coke, we'll get to the sugar in a minute what else? ssssalt (lol) 55mg of sodium per can, its like drinkin a pizza"

Really?

according to the nutritional information page on pizza huts website, one slice (1/6 according to the chart) of a 12" medium pan pizza has 500mg of sodium, meaning that the whole pizza has 3000mg of sodium. 55mg of sodium doesn't even compare to 3 grams.

The guy seems like a fucking moron, or he knows this and just wants to exaggerate a "conspiracy"
It's called exageration. Often, speakers will use it to help drive home their message. This method helps ensure that the listeners completely understand a concept or theory, allowing the speaker to move on much quicker and present more efficiently overall.

Phenix
06-05-2010, 08:15 PM
It was a good video thanks

cjay^
06-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by A790

It's called exageration. Often, speakers will use it to help drive home their message. This method helps ensure that the listeners completely understand a concept or theory, allowing the speaker to move on much quicker and present more efficiently overall.

Exaggeration by a margin of 55x. Most people associate pizza as being very high in sodium. We know that high sodium diets are unhealthy. The speaker is trying to convey that a single can of coca-cola is extremely high in sodium, when in fact 55mg is only roughly 3% of your recommended daily intake. He then claims that the diuretic effect of the apparently large quantity of sodium (plus that of caffeine) makes the drinker more thirsty and oOooooo the conspiracy is born.

wintonyk
06-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by cjay^

Exaggeration by a margin of 55x. Most people associate pizza as being very high in sodium. We know that high sodium diets are unhealthy. The speaker is trying to convey that a single can of coca-cola is extremely high in sodium, when in fact 55mg is only roughly 3% of your recommended daily intake. He then claims that the diuretic effect of the apparently large quantity of sodium (plus that of caffeine) makes the drinker more thirsty and oOooooo the conspiracy is born.

If that is your biggest concern regarding the validity of this video you have some problems. Of the 1:28:00 long the video maybe 1 or 2 minutes is regarding sodium and coke. Can you have a piece of pizza with 55 mg of sodium unlikely, but thats not what the video is about. Does thirst ever get quenched by coke, haha i doubt it. You notice he never sated much for facts regarding that situation, its irrelevant to the point. Any sodium will increase thirst, its a fact. Coke vs water, every time coke is gonna have significantly more sodium than.

The message is regarding sugar. And it making us fat, not fat itself.

UndrgroundRider
06-06-2010, 04:26 AM
Interesting video, but I'm taking it all with a grain of salt. Obviously sugar plays a big role in obesity. I don't think anyone debates this. But I can't accept that it's the only factor, or even the main factor in obesity. I think this guy severly over-states the impact of fructose on obesity.

Think about it... If this guy were completely accurate, he'd basically be saying he has the cure for cancer, only better, because more people die from CVD than all cancers combined.

This has a serious too good to be true feeling, and I suspect that it probably is. Scientists 30 years ago were not unintelligent. If there was one particular component to food that caused obesity and diabeties, they would have found it immediately.

What I'm going to take away from this video is that fructose definitely is a factor in obesity and CVD (which to be honest, most people already knew), and that it MIGHT be a larger factor that I thought.

Darkane
06-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider

This has a serious too good to be true feeling, and I suspect that it probably is. Scientists 30 years ago were not unintelligent. If there was one particular component to food that caused obesity and diabeties, they would have found it immediately.

Oh?

EDIT: Gonna withhold my answer till I watch the whole thing.

makingthebest08
08-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Nice sharing but I need to watch the whole video:)