PDA

View Full Version : Older 4Runner Owners

5hift
06-02-2010, 05:17 PM
I am looking for a 1999-2002 Toyota 4Runner for a reliable daily driver.

From what I`ve seen so far in Calgary in terms of used sales, they are usually approaching or just past 200,000 km and around the $10,000 mark.

My parents have had a 4Runner before, but never past the 150K mark.

How are they in terms of reliability in the higher kms. Any major problems I should be aware about, or expense fixes that should have been done by now.

The last thing I need is a money pit, I`m actually downgrading to save money so any advice from actual owners would be greatly appreciated.

AE92_TreunoSC
06-02-2010, 05:37 PM
I recently sold my dads 99 Ltd @ 170k for 10,000$

They are really though and can take a beating as long as you maintain it.

I also work on them for a living and can tell you they have no history of expensive common problems, as long as they are serviced on schedule.

This only headache, is the rear brake pivots for the e-brake, they sieze and dont allow the rear shoes to adjust properly.

Make sure look for are timing belt history, driveline fluid history, rust and tuneup history.

The timing belts can go up to 150,000kms + without breaking, and its a non-interference engine, but its definitely a big concern.

CelicaST-162
06-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
I am looking for a 1999-2002 Toyota 4Runner for a reliable daily driver.

From what I`ve seen so far in Calgary in terms of used sales, they are usually approaching or just past 200,000 km and around the $10,000 mark.

My parents have had a 4Runner before, but never past the 150K mark.

How are they in terms of reliability in the higher kms. Any major problems I should be aware about, or expense fixes that should have been done by now.

The last thing I need is a money pit, I`m actually downgrading to save money so any advice from actual owners would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 1999 4Runner SR5 4x4, I love my 4Runner. I also work on these vehicles daily, feel free to PM me if you have questions. My only problem with it is that it's thirsty when it comes to fuel.

5hift
06-02-2010, 06:05 PM
How thirsty would you say it is

I`ve always been a small 4-cylinder car owner because I hate paying out the ass at the pumps, but now that I live in a small town, I barely drive, and even if I do, its 10 minutes to get anywhere in town.

Am I going to have a heart attack at the pumps with the change.

project240
06-02-2010, 06:19 PM
I owned a 95 4runner back a number of years ago and loved it. Mine had like 225K on it, but drove like new and I never had any problems.

They've got a great history of being very reliable vehicles.

RY213
06-02-2010, 06:27 PM
I used to have a 2000 SR5. It was a great vehicle and the only money I spent on it was new brake pads and oil changes. It had around 175000km when I traded it in on my current car. Fuel costs were decent too, it only needs regular gas, so fills were usually around $45, and a tank of gas would last around 400 km. My only problem with it was it was a little underpowered for city driving...

CelicaST-162
06-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
How thirsty would you say it is

I`ve always been a small 4-cylinder car owner because I hate paying out the ass at the pumps, but now that I live in a small town, I barely drive, and even if I do, its 10 minutes to get anywhere in town.

Am I going to have a heart attack at the pumps with the change.

A $45-50 fillup with last you about 360-400Kilometers depending on how much you drive. That 3.4L V6 is near bulletproof.

Weapon_R
06-02-2010, 06:32 PM
My mom has had one for years and 270k and my brother in law just saw his hit 300k. The one with 300k runs excellent and is as smooth as any 4Runner our family has ever owned. We've had 3 of that gen so far and I would say they are the most reliable vehicle I have ever known.

Gas isn't great but about what you'd expect from an SUV of that size. It doesn't seem to get much better on the highway, with about 3/4 tank to get to EDM. I think they are less thirsty than a Pathfinder or Xterra and most of the American offerings of that class.

AE92_TreunoSC
06-02-2010, 08:08 PM
I used to be able to get to radium with a 1/2 tank with spirited driving. Thats a lot of hill climbing too.

5hift
06-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the all the info guys, it really helps

What about the tranny for the auto 4Runners. Are they pretty tough, last a while, etc. Most the 4Runners in this gen are approaching 200K, should the tranny have been replaced.

Weapon_R
06-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Nope, as bulletproof as the engine. A 4runner will last far longer than you'll ever want to keep it.

CapnCrunch
06-03-2010, 10:04 AM
You'd be foolish to expect a vehicle with 200K to be reliable. The odds are definitely against you. Not to say it's impossible, but why not look for something else. It doesn't sound like you need an SUV at all.

vc-kev
06-03-2010, 10:56 AM
We used to have a 97 4runner v6, and it got passed from my dad to my mom then to me and my brother. We never had any issues with it at all, we took it in for dealer service on schedule and we never had to do any major work on it. The truck got bagged on by everyone who drove it, and it never complained. The mileage on it wasn't great, especially the v6 with auto trans, but no worse than your average older SUV. I has a really small tank (like 50 or 60 liters so on longer trips make sure to fill up whenever you can). I think it had about 180k on it when we sold it, and still ran pretty good. The 4runner in that time was a truck based SUV so it is not the most agile city vehicle but it can do offroading/dirt roads really well.

shutterbug_art8
06-03-2010, 10:58 AM
All older 4Runner owners know this:

1. RUST
2. REAR AXLE SEAL LEAK
3. UNSTOPPABLE! (get one with e-lock)

Unknown303
06-03-2010, 11:14 AM
My fiance's 4runner was written off when it was rear ended by a cavalier at 800,000 km's. It never burnt oil, the engine ran perfectly no driveline issues ever. Only thing was rust, while her's was kept in good condition is was starting to rust out in the normal areas, plus during the rear-ending we found out it was beginning to rust everywhere underneath and ultimately the rusting was the reason it was written off. But we still got between 5-6,000 dollars for it through insurance.

DonJuan
06-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
You'd be foolish to expect a vehicle with 200K to be reliable. The odds are definitely against you. Not to say it's impossible, but why not look for something else. It doesn't sound like you need an SUV at all.

:facepalm:

Perhaps you should leave this to those that know.

The onlything you gotta watch for 4runners is the rust. They like to rust bad. So clean up any spots as best you can and undercoat the crap outta it. Ive only changed CV boots on mine (my fault)and done regular maintence on it.

There is a reason why you see tons of these on the road from the 80s etc, and still rare in the junkyard. More reliable than a wood burning stove.

CapnCrunch
06-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by DonJuan

:facepalm:

Perhaps you should leave this to those that know.

The onlything you gotta watch for 4runners is the rust. They like to rust bad. So clean up any spots as best you can and undercoat the crap outta it. Ive only changed CV boots on mine (my fault)and done regular maintence on it.

There is a reason why you see tons of these on the road from the 80s etc, and still rare in the junkyard. More reliable than a wood burning stove.

What exactly do you know? Perhaps you could enlighten me? I love to learn.

AndyL
06-04-2010, 08:20 AM
A 4runner with 200,000 is just getting broken in :D

Transmissions are good - Might start seeing some solenoid issues in that 300,000 range or if it hasn't hit the highway much / been serviced properly. But they're actually pretty easy and cheap to replace.

TPS like any car wear, causes some funky drivability issues.

Only real mechanical worry is the front end - check the idler arm, CVs and wheel bearings. Slide under and give the frame a REALLY good inspection for serious rust problems. Otherwise it's just body rust issues.

911fever
06-04-2010, 08:54 AM
they are bulletproof! even more so than a Pathfinder to be honest

Unknown303
06-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

What exactly do you know? Perhaps you could enlighten me? I love to learn.

Well as stated in my post the engine can go well over 800,000 with just regular maintenance. That should be pretty impressive in comparison to most vehicles these days.

CapnCrunch
06-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Well as stated in my post the engine can go well over 800,000 with just regular maintenance. That should be pretty impressive in comparison to most vehicles these days.

Well GMC made an engine that lasted over 1,000,000 miles. I owned a Dodge Dakota that had well over 500,000kms on it. But I don't run around blindy recommending someone should go out and buy a high mileage Dodge and expect 500,000 kms out of it.

200,000 kms is a nearing the throw away point for most vehicles. Not because they won't run longer, but because they are either old technology, or the body looks like shit, or repairs come up that represent a sizeable percentage of the vehicles value. Simple repairs like replacing brake pads turn into replacing the brake pads and the calipers.

AndyL
06-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Like I said - 200,000 is just nearing broken in for most 4runners. Well unless they have the 3.0 V6 - that's a bit different.

Most toyota's will easily go 4-500 before they start hitting the downward side of the ownership curve... Toyota's trucks are built to last... Really the only major issue with the lot of them is the rust factor.

CapnCrunch
06-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
Like I said - 200,000 is just nearing broken in for most 4runners. Well unless they have the 3.0 V6 - that's a bit different.

Most toyota's will easily go 4-500 before they start hitting the downward side of the ownership curve... Toyota's trucks are built to last... Really the only major issue with the lot of them is the rust factor.

If you're suggesting that the poster can go out and buy any 4Runner with 200,000 kms and not expect any expensive repairs for another 200,000 kms, then I disagree with you.

You can get 4-500 out of almost any vehicles if you maintain them and don't mind fixing them from time to time? This isn't 1960 anymore. All engines are built to last.

AndyL
06-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Yes, exactly it - if it's been maintained, you probably will have no issues for another 200,000.

I disagree with your "all engines are built to last" - with few exceptions - since the early 90's most engines have a designed life cycle. Most are lucky to make it past warranty without major work. The 22RE and 3.4L are built to last, they keep proving it every year.

All vehicles will need maintenance, toyota's retain their value for a reason... There's a reason I own 2 20+ year old Toyota 4runners.

schmooot
06-04-2010, 01:40 PM
you are calling a 99 4runner older? :facepalm:

They came out in the early 80's

CapnCrunch
06-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

All vehicles will need maintenance, toyota's retain their value for a reason... There's a reason I own 2 20+ year old Toyota 4runners. [/B]

I've owned many vehicles too. The best one was a Dodge Dakota like I mentioned, The worst one was a Honda Civic. Now go find me a magazine that will tell you to buy a Dakota over a Civic.

If you gave me 10,000 and said go get an suv that you want to last for a few years. I'd go grab an 05 Explorer with >100,000 kms or something instead of a 10 year Toyota with 200,000 kms. To much of Toyotas high resale is based on perceived value, not on reality.

DonJuan
06-04-2010, 03:52 PM
^ so let me get this straight, you have never owned a 4Runner, or a Toyota. Have no experience and no valuable contribution to the OP and instead of listening to the people who have experience, you reference an Explorer generation notorious for transmission failures.

Since this makes sense to you, I'm just gonna ignore you, and encourage others to the same.

AndyL
06-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Seriously? You're advocating an exploder? :dunno: You can't possibly argue with logic like that.

I'll take my 87 and 90 4runners over any year of explorer any day - and I owned one of those too - have to go look but pretty sure it was barely over 200,000 when I sold it. Electrical problems up the arse, hvac issues, rattles and creaks everywhere, repeated problems with the serp belt system (usually the idler or tensioner) worst vehicle I've ever owned.

.norco.
06-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by schmooot
you are calling a 99 4runner older? :facepalm:

They came out in the early 80's

haha at first i was like, ooh! older 4runners.. mines 87 it counts!.. wait 99? that's brand new :cry:

but yeah.. i love my 4runner.. im fond of the older ones due to their simplicity and 4x4 capabilities.. not to mention the body :drool:

soccernut
06-07-2010, 08:26 AM
I bought my 88 4Runner for $600 and the only repair cost was a $3 wire brush to clean the battery connections since the car wasn't starting without jumpers.

it has 230,000 and the thing runs beautiful. I got it specifically to be a trail beater and it was great at doing that at my last waiparous run with the Beyond guys. The little 2.4L 22R-E is such a fighter. I love my donkey...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUUFMwziSK4

Honestly, don't expect luxury from an older 4runner, just expect it to last you WAY too long. But with every car you have to make sure you are getting a vehicle with a good start point. I don't think you would have issues finding on that is 1999.

Edit: My brother-in-law has a 1999 that he bought brand new, he is about to hit 300K on it and has only done regular maintenance and replaced tires.

SR54RNR
06-07-2010, 09:58 PM
I had a 1986 22re 4-runner with 246,000kms when I sold it. Ran like a champ. the body was beat, and almost no power accessories worked, but it ran like hell.

Also had a 1992 3.0v6 runner that I bought off the orig owner. the only thing she replaced in the 15 years she owned it was the headgaskets, which toyota warrantied at 172,000kms.
I had to replace 2 shocks, an alternator, and fan belts.
I sold the truck at 219,000kms with everything orig, even the OG CLUTCH still.

Now I have a 2005 4runner v8, and I absolutely love it. 4.7 liter V8, torsen style center diff, full time 4wd, over 300lbft torque = fun.
So far 105,000kms on the truck and not a single problem.

5hift
06-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies from those who actually posted helpful remarks.

Funny how I titled the thread only towards 4Runner owners yet this goof CapnCrunch tried to put in his two cents even though he`s never had experience with one and instead recommended the most notoriously unreliable and dangerous SUV manufactured in history.

200,000 K being the throw away point for a vehicle is fucking retarded. My youngest sister drives a 1998 Corolla with 275K that she doesn’t maintain properly, and it is more reliable, solid on the road, smoother shifting than a 2006 Nissan Sentra that I bought brand new and got rid of the same year when it started to fall apart.

I also do consider a 99 4Runner older, 2011 models are coming out, and so I would consider a 12 year old truck older. Fuck just being older, I`m glad it’s still reliably drivable and on the road, but an 80`s 4Runner is approaching classic status.

To explain a bit more about why I`m backtracking with my cars, I have in the past few years owned a 06 Nissan, 07 Acura, and a 09 Honda. It seems with every year that passes I get more frustrated with new cars. They are getting more and more technology jammed into them, the security is getting more complicated, yet the batteries keep getting smaller and smaller. It’s getting impossible to reliably install aftermarket stuff like Compustar, sound systems, non factory Nav without running into issues (once you get used to remote starting in the winter you cannot go back). On top of that the build quality of cars is just shit now. I can’t tell you how many recalls and warrantee replacements I`ve done in the past few years.

I miss the days of my 95 Civic, and 00 Prelude that had zero problems for the 5 years I drove the piss out of them.

I am looking for something that is reliable, can be driven on even the worst winter days here (before the plows come out a week later), and taken off-road lightly (dirt farming roads). I need it to be under $10K.

The reason I’m targeting this gen 4Runner is because of its reputation and the fact that I can’t seem to find anything better for this price range. I have also been recommended to look at older Suburus, but I can’t find a manual one for this price range in good condition that looks even remotely attractive.

.norco.
06-08-2010, 11:44 PM
no doubt, 3rd gens are badass... giver dude!

shutterbug_art8
06-09-2010, 10:26 AM
The 3rd gen are excellent because they still look and drive like a SUV. Not too plush as so loaded with options like the newer ones but still comfy enough for a long road trip.

Get a 1998-2001 as the earlier ones has recalls on head gaskets. Also find one with a e-locker for that extra off-road toughness.

1st gen are my favorite (esp. 1985): 22RE chain driven, manual locking hub, removable fiberglass top, built-in roll bar, 2dr, simple dash but still has battery, oil pressure gauges. Solid front axle, leaf springs at the back, truck is smaller sized. It's perfect.

CelicaST-162
06-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I love my 4Runner! Here's my rig for an extra "push"
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3137/4595886455_3ca4c81445_b.jpg

CapnCrunch
06-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Shit, I didn't realize there was so many Toyota trolls on here.

To the Op, if all you were trying to do is get a bunch of random people on the internet to tell you how awesome you are for not being objective about a vehicle purchase, I apologize for posting.

Khalil.e
06-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Recently-ish just sold my '01 with..17X,xxx km I believe for $13,500.

A really good truck overall I would say - but I dont think I would consider purchasing another unless it was for the trails.

The interior is very narrow, the stereo is weak, it appeared to be lacking a bit of power, the rust on the under body was insane and annoyed me (I have since never seen a same gen runner without substantial frame rust), the leather was cheap ish and was cracking everywhere and the cargo area was just adequate.

I bought it because I had always loved that gen - now that I've had it, I love it a little less :nut: .

bigbadboss101
06-12-2010, 07:20 AM
Here is a question for you. These SUVs run forever and are reliable. The engines are solid but the body tend to rust more than the domestics. At what point would one deem the SUV to be too rusty or unsafe to drive?
I read that some (including Pathfinders) tend to have the rear frame rust out often.

.norco.
06-12-2010, 08:55 PM
frame would be 1# concern

Unknown303
06-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Here is a question for you. These SUVs run forever and are reliable. The engines are solid but the body tend to rust more than the domestics. At what point would one deem the SUV to be too rusty or unsafe to drive?
I read that some (including Pathfinders) tend to have the rear frame rust out often.

Rear frame was the end of my fiance's 4runner. It got rear ended and pretty much snapped the frame attached to the bumper off. Pretty much writing it off right there.

AndyL
06-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Frame around the gas tank and in the 2nd/3rd gens, upper spring buckets (also happens to be where that rear brake line rusts out - so clean it out gooderly)

If you get a 2nd gen - make sure you get a good tailgate... Man they're a b*tch to find - been hunting since november (fiberglass patch job was to keep the exhaust out - lower falling off; that was a recent addition) - my "good" find just cost me 14 hours of my life, about 2sqft of sheetmetal, 1/2lb of mig wire, and one hell of a redneck sunburn :)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/cgyreefer/001-3.jpg

I think it'll be a big improvement :) Just FYI - replacement "good" tailgates are >600$. This POS I just rebuilt looked good on the surface at PYP - but was shite underneath...

5hift
07-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks again for the suggestions guys

I narrowly missed out on a 2002 Limited garage queen with 64,000 original kms ( first guy who saw it just before me put down a deposit)

The fact that its a bit underpowered isn't a concern to me, I`m used to driving economical 4 cylinder cars and I dont plan on ripping around in it. The fact that its stereo sucks doesn't really matter as I have a $4 K system that would be installed into it. The only real concern for me now seems to be the rust issues.

I am still looking for a 1999-2002 model so if anyone comes across a clean one available please let me know.

gram
07-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Why don't you buy one in BC (vancouver or island area) if rust is such a concern? Would be worth the 10ish hour drive if it saves you from rust for a few years.

5hift
08-02-2010, 02:39 PM
I cant find one and my search so far is ranging BC, Alberta, and Sask. If anyone can, by all means show me some links or something.

gram
08-02-2010, 08:10 PM
www.canadatrader.com

There are like 30 of them for sale in BC (vancouver area) right now, I would link you but it is a cached website

bigbadboss101
08-02-2010, 10:44 PM
I think he means within a certain price range. The BC vehicles do look good with less rust. I'll be in Vancouver Wed to Sunday.

Alak
08-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by gram
Why don't you buy one in BC (vancouver or island area) if rust is such a concern? Would be worth the 10ish hour drive if it saves you from rust for a few years.

Thats a good idea. I picked up a civic to drive when I breifly lived in vancouver a couple years ago. It was in such good shape for 300,000kms (not a spec of rust), I brought it back with me. I've since put another 50,000 on it in 3 years and theres still no rust, or even other mechanical failures. Just brakes and tires I put into it.

If I recall, I didnt pay a whole lot for it initially.

Weapon_R
08-02-2010, 10:51 PM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-SUVs-trucks-vans-SUV-crossover-1999-Toyota-4Runner-LTD-W-SUNROOF-W0QQAdIdZ221340780#

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-SUVs-trucks-vans-SUV-crossover-1999-Toyota-4Runner-LTD-W0QQAdIdZ221340673

Just saw these, they look to be rust free and in good shape.

sevewone
08-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-SUVs-trucks-vans-SUV-crossover-1999-Toyota-4Runner-LTD-W-SUNROOF-W0QQAdIdZ221340780#

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-SUVs-trucks-vans-SUV-crossover-1999-Toyota-4Runner-LTD-W0QQAdIdZ221340673

4Runner Limited's FTL! I would get an sr5 with the 5 speed, automatic 4runners arnt nearly as fun.

Dycker
08-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Love my '98 but disliking all the rust developing.

Need a new rear bumper (like every other 3rd Gen), any suggestions on where to get a new one that's not chrome?

Has any other 4Runner owners bothered to fully repaint the body? Been struggling with this, but I would like to keep it until it's dead and I think I'll have, at minimum, 5 more years.

gram
08-05-2010, 01:06 PM
You can try ACP...the phone number is either 219-0505 or 291-0505, sory been out of Calgary for a while but they will have your bumper at a reasonable price. Hope that helps :)

5hift
08-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

thanks for the links

I already noticed the first black one, but I was scared off because it sold for 13,000 two months ago and now is back up for sale for 9000.

The other green one looks good, but I can see where it seems to have been hit from behind and his rusting through back bumper.

All this talk about rust problems is kind of making me hesitant though. It seems to be the only thing I can really find wrong with the 3rd gen.

And I would take a Limited over a 5 speed any day. I have a manual car now and dream when I can ditch it for auto.

arian_ma
09-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Hey guys didn't want to start a new thread, but I recently got offered a 91 4runner, 4 door, with 300K as part of a trade. I'm not sure if it's an SR-5, auto/manual and such, but I'm sure I can get that info on request.

What should I be looking for? What are the weak points of these cars and what should I pay special attention to when viewing it? I would love to have an SUV like this, but 300K scares me, even after reading this thread.
Please enlighten me on these cars. They seem pretty sweet.

soccernut
09-21-2010, 03:28 PM
I know that the 3.0 (3.slow) engines are not the most favorite among the Toyota lovers but still a good engine in terms of reliability. I would rather go for the 4cyl 22RE engine.

300 K? so it's just about broken in...jk. When buying a Toyota, kms are not what you should worry about. 500K is the norm for 4Runners.

The weak points would be the infamous body rust. Barring a miracle, you will have it. Just hope there isn't too much of it and it has not reached the frame. Also, make sure that the timing belt is done and there are no head gasket leaks.

I think I have covered most of it. I am sure others will chime in.

How much is it being valued at?

arian_ma
09-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Well, it's a trade, but I think the mindset of the offer is that the car is worth about ~2k

Redlyne_mr2
09-22-2010, 12:21 AM
What always bothered me about these trucks is the huge money that people asked for them. Having owned Runners in the past I would say that they are awesome trucks but they just aren't deserving of there high price tag. The rust issues really bothered me and everything under the truck would rust so easily. Even my brand new FJ cruiser began rusting on the frame after 1 winter. As mentioned the stereos were always crap and they are really really simple vehicles on the inside. A low km BC truck would be ideal but theyre so hard to find because people mile these things out. I would try looking for a landcruiser instead if I had $10K to spend.

arian_ma
09-22-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm just looking for a winter beater at this point to free up some cash. You are saying that you think $2k is asking too much for the truck?

dynamo
09-22-2010, 12:37 PM
For the 3.0L make sure there's no head gasket leaks. majority of them have already been recalled by toyota.

5hift
09-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
I'm just looking for a winter beater at this point to free up some cash. You are saying that you think $2k is asking too much for the truck?

90 and 91 Sr5 5 speeds with 300K+ are going for 3-4 grand still on autotrader and kijiji. It all depends on the maintenance done, and rust on the truck.

5hift
09-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
What always bothered me about these trucks is the huge money that people asked for them. Having owned Runners in the past I would say that they are awesome trucks but they just aren't deserving of there high price tag. The rust issues really bothered me and everything under the truck would rust so easily. Even my brand new FJ cruiser began rusting on the frame after 1 winter. As mentioned the stereos were always crap and they are really really simple vehicles on the inside. A low km BC truck would be ideal but theyre so hard to find because people mile these things out. I would try looking for a landcruiser instead if I had $10K to spend.

People do seem to ask more for them when compared to similar suvs, but it is because the 4Runner is superior in every way. I have done a lot of research and driven a lot of trucks. There is a reason same year Pathfinders are considerably less.

Rust is a problem, but I have seen a few clean units (just always missed out or ridiculously overpriced). I looked at BC trucks, and I found they all have worse rust than Alberta ones, I assumed it was with being by the coast and all, they would rust even faster.

What kind of 4Runner did you have. I am looking at 99-02 Limiteds only, and they have every option a modern suv has besides navigation.

I did look at Landcrusiers and people are asking even more crazy amounts for those. I mean 15 grand for 89`s crazy.

I still am looking btw, and can spend up to 15K. You seem to know cars, show me another vehicle that is as bad weather capable, reliable, spacious, and economical for under 15.

Redlyne_mr2
09-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Ive owned an 88, 91, and 98. Dont get me wrong, they're great trucks but theyre like the Corolla GTS, so much hype which over inflates the price.

In terms of other choices I would have to say Land Rover discovery. The only years I would look at would be 97-98 or 99-2002, 2004. You can get 2004's now for under 15K with low mileage and they're amazing trucks. I've got a 98 Discovery full load and I love it, center diff lock, 2 tone leather, massive factory stereo, aluminum body so no rust, 2 sunroofs, seats 7, simple v8, dual climate control, heated seats, etc etc. Everyone is scared of these trucks so they depreciate like mad lol.

911fever
09-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Ive owned an 88, 91, and 98. Dont get me wrong, they're great trucks but theyre like the Corolla GTS, so much hype which over inflates the price.

In terms of other choices I would have to say Land Rover discovery. The only years I would look at would be 97-98 or 99-2002, 2004. You can get 2004's now for under 15K with low mileage and they're amazing trucks. I've got a 98 Discovery full load and I love it, center diff lock, 2 tone leather, massive factory stereo, aluminum body so no rust, 2 sunroofs, seats 7, simple v8, dual climate control, heated seats, etc etc. Everyone is scared of these trucks so they depreciate like mad lol.

I had a 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, and while it was an awesome off road truck, it was the biggest POS ever - seriously. Everything failed on that truck, and I mean everything. That truck had more failures than one would know what to do with... such an unreliable vehicle. Fully loaded but horrible, just horrible on gas, and terrible to maintain.

Redlyne_mr2
09-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Yah the Disco 2 99-2004 are hit and miss, the prime years are 2004 and the disco 1's in the 97-98 are the best of the Discoverys IMO. Fuel mileage is similar on mine to that of a 4runner.

Dycker
10-17-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm interested in getting my 4Runner in for some undercoating but unsure if it's worth it at this point. There's definitely rusting going on.

Thoughts? Or places in Calgary that come highly recommended?

Alak
10-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Yah the Disco 2 99-2004 are hit and miss, the prime years are 2004 and the disco 1's in the 97-98 are the best of the Discoverys IMO. Fuel mileage is similar on mine to that of a 4runner.

Also, these days, you can get Range Rover Classic's for a good price. They are the same chassis as a discovery 1 underneath, and they are pretty good trucks.

Hell you can get one from the UK with an extremely reliable 200TDI or even 300TDI now for just shillings.