PDA

View Full Version : Impreza Passanger Door Repair

4lti
06-03-2010, 03:31 AM
The passenger door on my 04 Impreza doesn't open from the outside when unlocked; It only opens from the inside.
It has power windows and locks and they all work, even on the passenger side.
When I pull the handle from the outside it feels like its not pulling on anything. Im guessing something disconnected in there.
Does anyone here have any experience in repairing a problem like this?

And also, how do you remove the plastic clips which hold in the door panel without breaking them?
I remember doing this on my old CRX and it was really hard to do.

A Manuals or anything that could help me repair this myself would help, as id like to avoid having to send it to a mechanic.

jonnycat
06-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by 4lti

And also, how do you remove the plastic clips which hold in the door panel without breaking them?
I remember doing this on my old CRX and it was really hard to do.

This tool is indispensable when pulling old plastic rivets. Should have some at Canadian Tire or Napa etc.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61xMgx4Tf3L._SL500_AA280_.gif

You can always buy more rivets to replace broken ones.

4lti
06-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat

This tool is indispensable when pulling old plastic rivets. Should have some at Canadian Tire or Napa etc.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61xMgx4Tf3L._SL500_AA280_.gif

You can always buy more rivets to replace broken ones.

Looks like its time I added that to the tool box then.
Do you just slip that behind the inner door panels where the rivets are and pop them off?

Does anyone have the PDF file of the manual pages of the door?

gram
06-10-2010, 05:30 PM
They actually sell a panel removal tool that does not destroy those plastic clips. If you go to Canadian Tire/Autovalue whatever they will have them. Most door panels are super easy to take off. I used to install car stereos all the time. 99% of Japanese cars have 2 or 3 screws that hold the arm rest to the door and then are simply just held on with the panel plastic clips.

The tool will cost about $10

Sorry I have never worked on a newer subaru but I am sure that your panels will come off in less than 30 mins if you take your time and are super careful.

PS: when you take the panel off roll your window down first (I assume you have power windows) it makes it so much easier to take the panel off (the top usually wraps in to the window on the inside and is held by the window-think friction hold)

Good luck :)

** edit ** this link should really help you

http://www.pbase.com/djrez4/front_speaker_install

4lti
07-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by gram
They actually sell a panel removal tool that does not destroy those plastic clips. If you go to Canadian Tire/Autovalue whatever they will have them. Most door panels are super easy to take off. I used to install car stereos all the time. 99% of Japanese cars have 2 or 3 screws that hold the arm rest to the door and then are simply just held on with the panel plastic clips.

The tool will cost about $10

Sorry I have never worked on a newer subaru but I am sure that your panels will come off in less than 30 mins if you take your time and are super careful.

PS: when you take the panel off roll your window down first (I assume you have power windows) it makes it so much easier to take the panel off (the top usually wraps in to the window on the inside and is held by the window-think friction hold)

Good luck :)

** edit ** this link should really help you

http://www.pbase.com/djrez4/front_speaker_install

I never even thought of looking up speaker installation hahahaha.
Thanks so much, now I can finally take this door off and find the problem.
Ill update as I go.

Awd-Tsi
07-03-2010, 01:59 PM
I've done it on mine, took 5 minutes to take off the pannel and it turned out one of the clips detached so the bar wasn't pulling on anything

sxtothe240
07-03-2010, 05:11 PM
it's super easy.

take out the screw in the pocket
take out the pocket and the power window/lock button trim
Un-clip the connectors
take out the screw in there.
take out the door handle trim with a flathead wrapped in a towel or something
Hold the bottom corner of the panel (speaker corner) and give it abit of a yank
Continue pulling along the bottom, it should pop off pretty easily
then slide the panel upwards

4lti
08-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone!
Picked up a Rivet puller from Auto Parts and fixed the door in no time.
Seems the latch just slipped off the track. Working mint now!