PDA

View Full Version : Question about Carproof

vc-kev
06-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Hey guys, ordered a report on a suv i am looking to buy and the only thing that seemed off to me was in the accident section, there was large difference between the estimate and the damage amount. I have attached the section below, so if anyone could help me out on this I would appreciate it.

vc-kev
06-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Also would getting an inspection done at the dealership or Canadian Tire worth it or just a waste of money? Or if you guys know a good place that can get it done quick I would appreciate it.

Thanks

AndyL
06-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Definitely not canadian tire :) find a reputable shop, believe we have a few sponsors who could hook you up.

I've got a bright shiney nickle - says the owner of the vehicle took a cash settlement - usually pays about 1/3 of the estimate; and fixed it himself. 3000$ sounds about right for a headlight, fender and bumper with paint; pretty cheap to source the sheetmetal in the right color from a junkyard and headlight off ebay (assuming it's a composite style).

freshprince1
06-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Definitely not canadian tire :) find a reputable shop, believe we have a few sponsors who could hook you up.

I've got a bright shiney nickle - says the owner of the vehicle took a cash settlement - usually pays about 1/3 of the estimate; and fixed it himself. 3000$ sounds about right for a headlight, fender and bumper with paint; pretty cheap to source the sheetmetal in the right color from a junkyard and headlight off ebay (assuming it's a composite style).

Agreed.

vc-kev
06-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the info, didn't know that about cash settlements.

johnboy27
06-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Nine times out of ten when people go get an estimate they will tell the body shop that they only want brand new parts put on their car so the estimate is done up with the price of all new parts.Then the insurance company makes sure that the body shop knows they can use used parts in the repair to save the insurance company some money. Usually cuts the repair cost in half at least.